What to do with Miles contract?

This is Moos buying a year to find his guy. There's certainly a downside to this approach. The uncertainty of Miles' contract and the improbability that he'd get a lengthy extension may have been a major factor in Kenya Hunter leaving for UConn. I haven't heard anything, but it seems logical that it would have been a factor. Hunter's departure created a domino effect that resulted in the loss of Xavier Johnson, which is a huge blow to this team. 

If this is a cost-benefit type of situation, then I'd say the costs are mounting if the contract situation led to Hunter leaving. Again, though, I can't say definitively that Hunter wouldn't have bolted for UConn even if Miles had gotten a big extension. I just hope the benefit is sufficient to give fans something to get excited about again, because the loss of Hunter and Johnson is enormous from a personnel standpoint.

Edited by Hooper

Wow.  I actually think Moos did the right thing here.  I think he's buying more time to see if Miles can keep his roster together and actually string together two good seasons.  To me, it's totally fair based Miles' EKG results.  I don't think Moos is buying more time to find his own guy.  I think he legitimately wants to see if Miles is that dude, and I hope he is. 

It would've been nice to have happened before Kenya jumped shipped though.  That was a colossal screw up.  

I don't think a one year extension is a slap in the face to TM at all.  It says, "Here's a .500 coach who may have actually figured it out, so we're going to cautiously support him."  If TM has a similar season next year, I highly doubt Moos would have any problem restructuring that contract.

I'm not sure how anyone could justify TM's body of work at Nebraska as being worthy of anything more than a cautious extension.  He hasn't earned the huge one yet.  This season got him off the hot seat.  Next season could land him the big one.  

Absolute worst case scenario, our starting lineup is still:

Watson

Allen

Thor

Roby

Jordy

^^ I think that's a more talented lineup than some might anticipate.

Best case scenario:

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

^^ That's an actual NCAA darkhorse contender.  I say that with zero hesitation.  

Let's see how it shakes out.  I have zero doubts about TM and his recruiting.  He did a fantastic job coaching last season as well.  Lightening needs to strike twice for him.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Haha.  I do hope that Coach Miles and the staff/team have clear expectations.   Since  our graduation rate is fine and the players seem to be good citizans, and the arena is selling out, what does that leave to our imagination?  NCAA Tournament wins or bust?

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Haha.  I do hope that Coach Miles and the staff/team have clear expectations.   Since  our graduation rate is fine and the players seem to be good citizans, and the arena is selling out, what does that leave to our imagination?  NCAA Tournament wins or bust?

Basically in the article it says Moos thinks the rest of the program is in order  but he wants to see back to back seasons of success on the court (top half of the B1G) and back to back seasons of roster stability.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Basically in the article it says Moos thinks the rest of the program is in order  but he wants to see back to back seasons of success on the court (top half of the B1G) and back to back seasons of roster stability.

So.....it sounds like Moos has some expectations for the team then :lol: