What to do with Miles contract?

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Could the hold up be Miles doesn't want to sign to another 1-2 years and continue to coach and recruit with a high amount of pressure? Just speculation on my part.

Maybe.    But you could stay and coach another year or two under high pressure with what should be your most talented team coming back and you can make almost $2.5 million a year, or you can drop down a level, start all over and take a $1.5 million dollar pay cut 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Could the hold up be Miles doesn't want to sign to another 1-2 years and continue to coach and recruit with a high amount of pressure? Just speculation on my part.

I think someone on here said that Miles got offered an extension and didn't like what Moos had to offer, so it wouldn't surprise me if he is shopping around.  Could be a mutual part ways situation?

Just now, hskr4life said:

I think someone on here said that Miles got offered an extension and didn't like what Moos had to offer, so it wouldn't surprise me if he is shopping around.  Could be a mutual part ways situation?

I think its possible. The conversation is "What's taking so long for Moos to offer an extension" but maybe there is a extension on Miles desk, and the real hold up is - what's taking so long for Miles to sign the extension?

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That was me.  

I'm on the record of moving on from Miles, but believe Bahe hit the nail on the head with this tweet.

Sorry, can't figure out how to embed.

Here's what I find interesting between the 2 articles.  

Moos to Lee B on Monday
“I’m not looking for a coach,’’ said Moos, who already has had two meetings with current Husker head man Tim Miles and plans more next week to eventually discuss a contract extension.  Moos said he’s looking to set up another meeting after the Final Four."

Moos to Robin W via Steve R on Tuesday
"We're still working out some of the numbers and details." 

Miles discussed the 2 meetings with Moos, and didn't mention anything about a contract.  But somehow, "we're still working out...." between the two?  I don't buy it at all, and personally believe Moos has been caught.  Nobody will call him on it though, because he landed Frost.  Let's just hope, if Moos ever does decide to move on from Miles - Osborne, Davison, parents and an alma mater are involved because without them, Frost isn't in Lincoln & Moos is just another AD.    

On to the 2018-2019 season, I really hope Miles can land a grad transfer/juco that can make some type of impact right away.  We need it, gotta get better!  

nt 

2 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

Here's what I find interesting between the 2 articles.  

Moos to Lee B on Monday
“I’m not looking for a coach,’’ said Moos, who already has had two meetings with current Husker head man Tim Miles and plans more next week to eventually discuss a contract extension.  Moos said he’s looking to set up another meeting after the Final Four."

Moos to Robin W via Steve R on Tuesday
"We're still working out some of the numbers and details." 

Miles discussed the 2 meetings with Moos, and didn't mention anything about a contract.  But somehow, "we're still working out...." between the two?  I don't buy it at all, and personally believe Moos has been caught.  Nobody will call him on it though, because he landed Frost.  Let's just hope, if Moos ever does decide to move on from Miles - Osborne, Davison, parents and an alma mater are involved because without them, Frost isn't in Lincoln & Moos is just another AD.    

On to the 2018-2019 season, I really hope Miles can land a grad transfer/juco that can make some type of impact right away.  We need it, gotta get better!  

I don't want TO, Davison, or any other cook in the kitchen. I think Moos will hire a search firm and make the decision from there. 

18 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

nt 

I don't want TO, Davison, or any other cook in the kitchen. I think Moos will hire a search firm and make the decision from there. 

Neither do I, they weren't brought up with the idea to assist Moos but to somewhat diminish his lord like status of hiring Frost.  I've heard from many that Moos landed Frost so he'll land a top candidate in other sports.  I don't share that opinion, as w/out major help - he's forced to hire someone else last December.

17 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I sure hope he has a better 5-year plan than just relying on transfers from here on out.

If that is what it takes, why are you against it?   We haven't had much luck with high school players finishing out, although it seems to be getting better.  IMO, still TBD and can evaluate again in September.  We've done very well with transfers, even JUCO's, heck without them I'd hate to see where our program is.  He's done a good job of balancing it, and hopefully he continues down that path.  

Interested in reading your reasoning.

Edited by Shower Cap Husker

1 hour ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

That was me.  

I'm on the record of moving on from Miles, but believe Bahe hit the nail on the head with this tweet.

Sorry, can't figure out how to embed.

I really have to disagree with this reasoning. Consider the following scenario: imagine you're not really sold on Miles as the long-term leader of the program but you don't want to roll the dice on another mid-major type guy and are determined that you'll only replace Miles if you can find a coach you consider to be a home run hire. Given what I just outlined, what is the best course of action?

In such a scenario, it would not be prudent to cut Miles loose without having secured the home run hire you want to replace him with. It also would not be prudent to give him a lengthy extension, as then you're just putting good money after bad, investing heavily in an asset you don't believe will pay dividends. This is why, in such a hypothetical scenario, the middle path seems logically to be the most prudent, which is to keep Miles for at least another year, buying you time to find a replacement. In this scenario, a short-term extension is the most prudent option.

This is the scenario that I don't believe Bahe was considering in his tweet.

Edited by Hooper

Moos just randomly deciding what to say to whom and when to say it somewhat has me perplexed. Just when I think it looks like he's got some relationship with LeeBo, not even 24 hours later he gives a more definitive answer to some guy I've never heard of at Rivals.. In a day we go from "still in the getting to know each other stage" to "oh yeah, no doubt he'll be back". Just interesting to me. Maybe I'm just crazy. Not much makes sense to me anymore. 

1 minute ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

If that is what it takes, why are you against it?   We haven't had much luck with high school players finishing out, although it seems to be getting better.  IMO, still TBD and can evaluate again in September.  We've done very well with transfers, even JUCO's, heck without them I'd hate to see where our program is.  He's done a good job of balancing it, and hopefully he continues down that path.  

Interested in reading your reasoning.

As a short term solution it has put us in a much better spot than where we would have been. But it puts a lot of reliance on getting the right guys who can quickly adapt to a new system, not hinder the culture of the team, and can make an immediate impact. That is a scary balancing act to do year-in and year-out. But for the long term, I just fear that if we can't balance building and sustaining a system in-house (and yes, utilizing transfers as needed), then we may have some internal programmatic things we have to get sorted out.

26 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I really have to disagree with this reasoning. Consider the following scenario: imagine you're not really sold on Miles as the long-term leader of the program but you don't want to roll the dice on another mid-major type guy and are determined that you'll only replace Miles if you can find a coach you consider to be a home run hire. Given what I just outlined, what is the best course of action?

In such a scenario, it would not be prudent to cut Miles loose without having secured the home run hire you want to replace him with. It also would not be prudent to give him a lengthy extension, as then you're just putting bad money after good, investing heavily in an asset you don't believe will pay dividends. This is why, in such a hypothetical scenario, the middle path seems logically to be the most prudent, which is to keep Miles for at least another year, which buys you time to find a replacement. In this scenario, a short-term extension is the most prudent option.

This is the scenario that I don't believe Bahe was considering in his tweet.

3 year contract v 5 year contract, that's the actual disagreement you have.  Correct?

You can disagree however, your reasoning falls in line with what Bahe is saying we shouldn't be forced with.  With a 1-year extension, we're back in the same discussion a year from now & recruiting has the same obstacles.  We can't go on, year after year, with speculation.  It does nobody any good whatsoever.  Not Nebraska.  Not Miles.  Not the future players.  Not a future coach.  Nobody.  The best course of action with Moos' comment, is to get behind the coach you just said is coming back and show him your full support.  And that full support is a full contract, extended for a total of 5 years.  (Reminder, I prefer we moved on from Miles, but will accept he's returning).  

Nebraska athletics revenue is around $120M with a "profit" of around $8M-$9M and I believe that is after the athletic department donates around $6M to UNL to cover a lot of the scholarships costs across all sports so our "profit" is actually higher.  And this money doesn't include the full share from the B1G that we recently received as my previous numbers are based on prior to the full allotment from the B1G conference.  At least I think they are, if inaccurate, point remains.  Extending Miles 2 additional years for a total of 5 doesn't impact anything negatively with the Huskers.  We're suppose to be a big boy athletic program, but act like a two-bit hooker after a crackdown on the Las Vegas strip. 

Contract details for discussion.  BTW, Miles has an agent.

Extension (yes/no)

Number of years to extend beyond current contract

Amount of money to be paid for extended years

Amount of money to be paid for current years (his 2018-19 salary kicks in April 1st)

Bonus changes

Buyout amount (currently 700k)

All this stuff is in addition to getting to know Miles and the program and then other things (assistants, staff, logistics, responsibilities)  

The more those two can get the more likely we're to be successful IMO.

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

weird. why would moos come out and say miles is coming back if they haven't finalized a deal?

Seems like a good way to get people to stop talking about whether or not Miles is coming back if you don't have a deal finalized.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

You wouldn’t be a very good AD then.   We’re the most success starved program in any major conference and you want to stack the deck further against him?   The AD is there to make it easier for coaches, not harder.   

No quality player wants to walk into a death trap.   1 year of no renewal is one thing.   3 years is another 

$2-$4 million, if it’s even that, through reduced buyouts, over a couple of years, doesn’t mean a lot in today’s big money works.   Especially considering the payoffs for having a successful year 

It hasn't worked yet,  giving our football and basketball coaches extensions...

37 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

3 year contract v 5 year contract, that's the actual disagreement you have.  Correct?

You can disagree however, your reasoning falls in line with what Bahe is saying we shouldn't be forced with.  With a 1-year extension, we're back in the same discussion a year from now & recruiting has the same obstacles.  We can't go on, year after year, with speculation.  It does nobody any good whatsoever.  Not Nebraska.  Not Miles.  Not the future players.  Not a future coach.  Nobody.  The best course of action with Moos' comment, is to get behind the coach you just said is coming back and show him your full support.  And that full support is a full contract, extended for a total of 5 years.  (Reminder, I prefer we moved on from Miles, but will accept he's returning).  

Nebraska athletics revenue is around $120M with a "profit" of around $8M-$9M and I believe that is after the athletic department donates around $6M to UNL to cover a lot of the scholarships costs across all sports so our "profit" is actually higher.  And this money doesn't include the full share from the B1G that we recently received as my previous numbers are based on prior to the full allotment from the B1G conference.  At least I think they are, if inaccurate, point remains.  Extending Miles 2 additional years for a total of 5 doesn't impact anything negatively with the Huskers.  We're suppose to be a big boy athletic program, but act like a two-bit hooker after a crackdown on the Las Vegas strip. 

No, I'm talking about a one-year extension (not a 3-year extension) and you're talking about a five-year extension. Your assumption that a one-year extension puts us right back in the same place a year from now isn't necessarily true. If you give him a one-year extension, you're doing so to buy yourself another year to find a replacement. We're not necessarily right back where we started. Granted, if we're having this same conversation a year from now and Moos doesn't have a replacement secured, then it will have been a failed gambit.

There's a lot of short-term thinking going on here. People are very focused on one recruiting class. The AD is likely thinking much longer term than many fans are. I personally believe that Moos isn't a big fan of Tim Miles and that he's much more likely to buy himself another year to get this sorted out than he is to give a major extension to a coach he doesn't believe is the guy. 

I understand how Miles supporters would be very frustrated by a one-year extension, but if you're not sold on Miles, then a five-year extension (or even a 3-year extension) is a terrible move. I'm fairly certain in saying that Bill Moos is not overly concerned about the 2018-2019 recruiting class. He's focused on what this program needs to do in order to be a major contender in five years, 10 years, etc. and which path is going to be most conducive to getting the program where he wants it. 

If you like Miles and believe he's the guy to lead this program forward, then of course you'd want to offer him a big extension. I totally get that. I just don't believe Moos is in that camp.

From a recruiting perspective, you aren't looking 

2 minutes ago, Hooper said:

There's a lot of short-term thinking going on here. People are very focused on one recruiting class. The AD is likely thinking much longer term than many fans are. I personally believe that Moos isn't a big fan of Tim Miles and that he's much more likely to buy himself another year to get this sorted out than he is to give a major extension to a coach he doesn't believe is the guy. 

The contract term doesn't only impact one recruiting class. These coaches are building relationships over a longer period - Roby and others in our recent classes were being actively recruited as sophomores. If you even think Tim might be the guy, you should give the perception that you are "all in" so he can actively recruit and build relationships for the future. Not doing that hurts not only next year's class but also the next 2-3 years.

I've always been a Miles supporter but honestly am on the fence these days. I can see both sides of the argument. That said, if you're going to retain him, then at least give the appearance that you're "all in" so there's no further excuses to be made. I think that's the point Bahe's tweet was making.

15 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

It hasn't worked yet,  giving our football and basketball coaches extensions...

And I don't think this will either.   IMO, MIles isn't the guy.   But that doesn't mean we stand back and do nothing.   You can't handcuff the guy and in the same motion slap him on the butt and tell him to 'go get em tiger'.    You either support the guy you have or you get a new guy.   As I've mentioned in the past, Eichorst painted Moos into a corner here.   We aren't talking about deviating to a 4 year contract from a 5 year industry standard.   We're down to a 2 year contract from a 5-year standard.   Not extending him at this point is translated as he's fired next year unless he does something spectacular.   Well....you have 2 signing periods between now and then.   Having that impression out there is basically just wiping your hands and calling it a day there because no decent talent is going to willingly walk into that.   Especially with you gift wrapping the "How to Negatively Recruit Against Us" handbook for all your competition.

Support him or Fire him.   Lousy situation for Moos to be in, but those are his options.

18 minutes ago, Hooper said:

No, I'm talking about a one-year extension (not a 3-year extension) and you're talking about a five-year extension. Your assumption that a one-year extension puts us right back in the same place a year from now isn't necessarily true. If you give him a one-year extension, you're doing so to buy yourself another year to find a replacement. We're not necessarily right back where we started. Granted, if we're having this same conversation a year from now and Moos doesn't have a replacement secured, then it will have been a failed gambit.

I understand how Miles supporters would be very frustrated by a one-year extension, but if you're not sold on Miles, then a five-year extension (or even a 3-year extension) is a terrible move. I'm fairly certain in saying that Bill Moos is not overly concerned about the 2018-2019 recruiting class. He's focused on what this program needs to do in order to be a major contender in five years, 10 years, etc. and which path is going to be most conducive to getting the program where he wants it. 

If you like Miles and believe he's the guy to lead this program forward, then of course you'd want to offer him a big extension. I totally get that. I just don't believe Moos is in that camp.

1 year (you) vs 3 year (me), so ya, we're disagreeing about 1 vs 3.  Your 1 year extension takes him to a total of 3 years while my 3 year extension takes him to a total of 5 years.  It's a 2 year difference, which is peanuts in the discussion.  So, to get this even straighter, you're only offering a 1-year deal to buy yourself (Moos) time to find a replacement.  It seems as though we're not going to change the others opinion, and I'm fine with that so no need to carry on regarding 1 (you) vs 3 (me).  

I'm thinking short and long term and I'm definitely not focused on one recruiting class.  I'm more than confident Moos isn't a fan of Miles.  An Athletic Director shouldn't need to buy himself  another year to sort anything out.  Moos has more momentum, on dang near all fronts, than any Athletic Director Nebraska has had not named Devaney, Byrne or Osborne. 

Why is it a terrible move?  It's a 2-year difference & less than $1M in buyout money.  We're not a thrift store athletic program that needs to cut corners.  Moos isn't going to be here in 10 years, his concern should be of the immediate future (5 years and less).  He can make a bad hire in basketball, all will be forgiven because of Frost, that's who he is tied to.  

I'm not sure you're even reading my responses, so I'll repeat what I've said - I prefer we moved on from Miles, but will accept he's returning.