What to do with Miles contract?

4 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I disagree...I actually think it probably would have cemented Jordy leaving at semester as i think Jacobsen would have probably stayed ahead of Jordy (especially the way Jordy didn't really get much better as most of us were expecting)

Jacobsen always seemed to do the little things and was a very good rebounder, probably would have been an upgrade at the 5 for us this year and next (even if he didn't want to play the 5)

I can see that but Jordy was starting at the end of last year so I feel he would have been starting at the beginning of this year as what did play out. I also think that our best line up would still have been Roby for Jordy in my scenario, meaning I don't think Jacobsen ever starts. I think he would have gotten early minutes like Jack but would have dropped off as we went to the shorter rotation. I can't see any situation where both Jacobsen and Morrow are getting good minutes at the end of the year. Maybe Jordy does leave and one of them take his minutes but nothing more. If that played out it means we just would have delayed their transfer by one year. 

I think one of the two (Jacobson & Morrow) would've struggled for minutes.   Both play over Jordy though. 

One other thing though where these two could've found minutes is due to the 2 guard spot.   If we had a competent body to play the 5 outside of Roby, I very easily can see Roby playing the 3 and Palmer the 2 with Jacobson/Morrow at the 5.

19 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

It will be interesting to see how much Jacobsen plays at Iowa State and Morrow at Marquette.

I can't figure out why Morrow went to Marquette. They have 6-8 Sam Hauser at 4, he's a 45%+ shooter from 3 and they added his brother Joey, who is 6-9 and was the nation's No. 45 recruit in 247. They also have a couple of bigs coming back. Marquette is a soft jump-shooting team like Creighton, so they could use Morrow's toughness, but there's no place for him to play. Kind of the same situation he had here, but at least we were offering minutes at the 5. 

4 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I disagree...I actually think it probably would have cemented Jordy leaving at semester as i think Jacobsen would have probably stayed ahead of Jordy (especially the way Jordy didn't really get much better as most of us were expecting)

Jacobsen always seemed to do the little things and was a very good rebounder, probably would have been an upgrade at the 5 for us this year and next (even if he didn't want to play the 5)

This also assumes Jacobson is willing to play the 5, which, if I'm remembering correctly, he wasn't, which led to the transfer. It's kind of irrelevant to say he'd be an upgrade at the 5 if he doesn't want to play the 5, isn't it? So if the options are to play at Nebraska behind Copeland (and, if things played out like we had anticipated at the time, Roby, since I don't recall many folks lining him up at the 5 around this time last year -- correct me if I'm wrong on that, though) and spend most of the time on the bench, or transfer to a place with more likely playing time, I understand why he'd make the decision to do that, but also wouldn't fault the coaching staff for recruiting better players at Jacobson's desired position. I think his departure ultimately hurt us more than Morrow's, from the standpoint of doing those little things, but if he was unwilling to play where we needed him, and we had at least one (and, as we thought at the time, probably two) players ahead of him on the depth chart where he wanted to be, I don't really see how things could have gone much differently. No hard feelings there, and like Dean said, I think it probably worked out the best for everyone going the way it did.

1 minute ago, ladyhusker said:

This also assumes Jacobson is willing to play the 5, which, if I'm remembering correctly, he wasn't, which led to the transfer. It's kind of irrelevant to say he'd be an upgrade at the 5 if he doesn't want to play the 5, isn't it? So if the options are to play at Nebraska behind Copeland (and, if things played out like we had anticipated at the time, Roby, since I don't recall many folks lining him up at the 5 around this time last year -- correct me if I'm wrong on that, though) and spend most of the time on the bench, or transfer to a place with more likely playing time, I understand why he'd make the decision to do that, but also wouldn't fault the coaching staff for recruiting better players at Jacobson's desired position. I think his departure ultimately hurt us more than Morrow's, from the standpoint of doing those little things, but if he was unwilling to play where we needed him, and we had at least one (and, as we thought at the time, probably two) players ahead of him on the depth chart where he wanted to be, I don't really see how things could have gone much differently. No hard feelings there, and like Dean said, I think it probably worked out the best for everyone going the way it did.

Always be interested to see how things would've changed under different circumstances.   It's always easier embracing a role when you are having fun and/or winning.   Jacobson's experience with the 5 came with a lot of losses.   No way to know for sure, but willing to bet, he'd have been more open to playing the 5 this year, because there was more on floor success and he was surrounded by better bodies which would have helped his game some.

We will never know for sure.  But if Morrow and Jake had stayed, the dynamics of the team would have been different (one would think).  I believe both would have played, but in what roles, I have no clue?  The development of Isaiah could have been affected though.  So, I am sort of glad they made the decision that they did.

56 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We will never know for sure.  But if Morrow and Jake had stayed, the dynamics of the team would have been different (one would think).  I believe both would have played, but in what roles, I have no clue?  The development of Isaiah could have been affected though.  So, I am sort of glad they made the decision that they did.

there is only so many minutes...regardless of positions.

Had jacobsen stayed any of his minutes would have to have come from somewhere.

Tanner would have gotten zero minutes in key moments, not that he had a lot, but he had some

I think Jordy would have lost  a few minutes.

I also think that Roby might have lost some, but I think the most affected would have been Gill and Taylor as Copeland and Roby would have shifted some of their minutes to the wing.

The other thing with a guy like Jacobson....is he doesn't do anything to lose minutes when he plays and does so many good things is he is the type of player that keeps getting minutes....He doesn't fill up the stat sheet but when you are coaching, guys like Jacobson always seem to get their minutes because they always do the things coaches like and don't necessarily screw things up when they are out there.

The same can be said about Evan Taylor this year....he is just the type of player that a coach trusts and that inevitably leads to them getting minutes.

13 hours ago, khoock said:

Not saying extend him based off of his losses. But those losses were clearly to teams that are/were playing very well.

Miles job was essentially on the line this season and he responded with 22 wins and a double bye in the BTT. Unless players truly cannot stand him, then there is no reason to fire him imo.

Which players matter? The ones that leave or the ones that choose to stay?

We need a new "5 year plan" ... Miles doubled down on the transfer game (which yes, is a big part of college hoops today) rather than building a culture and program imho. He sells playing time and freedom to play in a less structured offense. He has had blips of success with that so far, but it's not a sustainable plan long-term. All just my opinions.

6 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

My guess is no extension, but Miles is still under contract and is still the coach....Next year is the put up or shut up year.

This is the one thing you can not do. Might as well not fill those 4 or 5 scholarships next year if we just let miles play out his current contract because we will have no chance of getting the type of talent we want when recruits think miles is on the hot seat after putting up the best season in the last decade

This is very simple. By not extending Miles contract now and waiting until after the final four, Moos is giving him self time to pursue Musselman or Altman. The worst thing that happens during this time is Miles take a mid major job. After the final four you offer him a 2 year extension to try and help him keep his staff. Thats all you can do under the circumstances. If Miles has a great year in 2018-2019 he will get a bigger job or lateral job (Minnesota) and leave anyway or you give him another huge deal. 

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Which players matter? The ones that leave or the ones that choose to stay?

We need a new "5 year plan" ... Miles doubled down on the transfer game (which yes, is a big part of college hoops today) rather than building a culture and program imho. He sells playing time and freedom to play in a less structured offense. He has had blips of success with that so far, but it's not a sustainable plan long-term. All just my opinions.

What culture should we build? Should we go the Pat Chambers route? He's been there 7yrs and has made it the CBI and NIT and that's it. He's only had 2 winning seasons. As an aside 3 players from his team last year transferred, 2 RS Jrs and 1 RS So.

What is wrong with the transfer plan so long as it occasionally works. KState football seems to be doing well with a similar strategy; JUCOs who are essentially transfers. The strategy doesn't need to be successful all of the time, just some of the time.

If people think that Altman or whoever is going to come in here and turn this program around in a short period of time they are vastly underestimating the difficulty of this job. A new coach will be starting over.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

This is the one thing you can not do. Might as well not fill those 4 or 5 scholarships next year if we just let miles play out his current contract because we will have no chance of getting the type of talent we want when recruits think miles is on the hot seat after putting up the best season in the last decade

I disagree...i think you underestimate the intelligence of kids being recruited..

They all know Miles needs to win next year or he is toast, whether he has a 2 year extension, 5 year extension or a lifetime contract.

Coaches may use this against other coaches, but it isn't as big a factor as agents have convinced ADs it is.

20 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

That would just increase the negative recruiting.  At this stage of the game, Moos has to be all in or all out on his basketball coach.

I would agree with that, but one thing i feel confident about is that the AD will make a decision on the future of the men's basketball program based on a longer-term vision as opposed to worrying about a particular recruiting class or what happens over the next year. 

There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to making future plans for this program. Of paramount importance is the issue of who they could get to replace Miles if they want to go in a different direction. Hypothetically, if you're facing a scenario as AD where you don't believe your current coach is a viable long-term option but you don't have a viable replacement yet, what do you do?

Edited by Hooper