What to do with Miles contract?

This entire soap opera has carried on far too long in my opinion. Moos should extend Miles' contract and then evaluate after next season and so on. This is entirely insane to think of letting a coach go who just won 13 conference games (most in school history) and 22 games overall (second most in school history). 

Edited by aksarben

21 minutes ago, aksarben said:

This entire soap opera has carried on far too long in my opinion. Moos should extend Miles' contract and then evaluate after next season and so on. This is entirely insane to think of letting a coach go who just won 13 conference games (most in school history) and 22 games overall (second most in school history). 

I think Moos has handled this pretty well.  He's obviously looking to upgrade the coaching staff.  I'm happy he is.  If there's a better fit, then this is the perfect year to make a change, with a talented roster returning next year.  If he extends Miles' contract and then fires him next year, the new coach has a lot of holes to fill roster-wise and the job is less appealing.

I see both sides of the keep/fire Miles debate.  Why keep a coach who after 6 seasons has a .500 record?  On the other hand, why fire a coach who, as you said, won more conference games than any other team in program history?  The 13 and 22 argument rings a little hollow to me as a Husker BB fan.  It's like bragging that my daughter got 2nd place in a beauty contest.  Everyone else tied for first.

12 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I think Moos has handled this pretty well.  He's obviously looking to upgrade the coaching staff.  I'm happy he is.  If there's a better fit, then this is the perfect year to make a change, with a talented roster returning next year.  If he extends Miles' contract and then fires him next year, the new coach has a lot of holes to fill roster-wise and the job is less appealing.

I see both sides of the keep/fire Miles debate.  Why keep a coach who after 6 seasons has a .500 record?  On the other hand, why fire a coach who, as you said, won more conference games than any other team in program history?  The 13 and 22 argument rings a little hollow to me as a Husker BB fan.  It's like bragging that my daughter got 2nd place in a beauty contest.  Everyone else tied for first.

I don't get the beauty contest analogy.  14 teams competed and we finished 4th.  And beat a final four team by 20.  Advocate for firing the coach all you want, but I wouldn't diminish 13-5 in this league, with the coaches in this league, ever.  

Edited by HB

2 minutes ago, HB said:

I don't get the beauty contest analogy.  14 teams competed and we finished 4th.  And beat a final four team by 20.  Advocate for firing the coach all you want, but I wouldn't diminish 13-5 in this league, with the coaches in this league, ever.  

Not trying to diminish anything, my friend.  Trying to point out, not very effectively, that having the most conference wins and second most wins in a season, at Nebraska isn't saying much.  I'm not advocating anything.  I'm glad we have an AD that wants to improve the program.  If he decides keeping Miles is the best way to do that, I'm fine with that.  Too many years in our lifetimes, that has not been the case with Athletic Directors.

21 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Not trying to diminish anything, my friend.  Trying to point out, not very effectively, that having the most conference wins and second most wins in a season, at Nebraska isn't saying much.  I'm not advocating anything.  I'm glad we have an AD that wants to improve the program.  If he decides keeping Miles is the best way to do that, I'm fine with that.  Too many years in our lifetimes, that has not been the case with Athletic Directors.

Beyond that, I trust Moos to make the right decision. Think the future of the Athletic Department and the basketball program is in good hands. 

41 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

And if he makes this change who says these players won't move on from Nebraska? If the coach that brought me here is let go, unless they hire the second coming of John Wooden I don't feel like I'm obligated to stay I don't owe the Athletic Director or his new hire anything,  furthermore I'm not even sure if the Wooden example is reason enough to stay either.

13 minutes ago, aksarben said:

And if he makes this change who says these players won't move on from Nebraska? If the coach that brought me here is let go, unless they hire the second coming of John Wooden I don't feel like I'm obligated to stay I don't owe the Athletic Director or his new hire anything,  furthermore I'm not even sure if the Wooden example is reason enough to stay either.

You might be right.  I can't recall off the top of my balding head, that it's happened at any programs where the AD makes a coaching change not based on illegalities.  Maybe you have some examples.

I find it interesting that our fan base has built such a strong opinion of trust for Moos.  Is it because of his track history at his previous two stops?  Is it because of his hiring of Coach Frost?  Is it because he restructured the Cornhusker Administration?  Is it his down home approach?  Is it his length of time at Nebraska?  Is it his transparency so far at Nebraska? 

I believe I am a fan of Bill Moos, yet it typically takes more than a few months for me to build trust.  But my current opinion is strictly due to his hiring of Coach Frost.  It seems though that the choice to hire Scott was easy, but the execution and timing and the style that it was done was brilliant.  I have not been as giddy with how the basketball situation is occurring.  It means little to the fans (especially since spring football is deflecting much of the fan attention); but for the players, the coaching staff and the supporting staff, this has to be excruciating.

44 minutes ago, aksarben said:

Historically, Miles loses his best players with eligibility remaining at an alarming rate.  So I don't look at it as "keep Miles and keep players, or lose Miles and lose players."   Instead, I view it as "keep Miles and probably lose some good players, or lose Miles and also probably lose some good players."  Moot point based on Miles' track record.  I said the same thing last year and was told how wrong I was by other fans on this board.  Then we lost two starters with multiple years of eligibility remaining, even though we retained the coaching staff.  I just don't think Moos can make this decision based on the potential retention of players.

35 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I find it interesting that our fan base has built such a strong opinion of trust for Moos.  Is it because of his track history at his previous two stops?  Is it because of his hiring of Coach Frost?  Is it because he restructured the Cornhusker Administration?  Is it his down home approach?  Is it his length of time at Nebraska?  Is it his transparency so far at Nebraska? 

I think it's because he reminds me of Bob Devaney.  Not from here, yet he reflects the values and openness most Nebraskans have.  Pederson and Eickhorst didn't have that.  Plus, most Nebraskans seem to have the feeling that until you give us a reason not to, we're gonna love you.  The honeymoon will continue....