What to do with Miles contract?

44 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm sure TM is just glad to meeting with his AD directly and not some go between like he had to do with the previous AD.

As for the article nothing much there really. Sounds like they are going to be getting together a few more times which I believe should dispel any rumors of TM being fired.

I imagine he is going to be asking him what he can do to help him become more successful. Hopefully this means there will be some more resources available for recruiting.

Ya but why not make a public announcement that he is coming back??  Just seems weird and hush hush

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

You are funny S6C. Mentioning Callahan in football while ignoring the 2 who had winning records that were fired, and yes there was a blood lust to fire both of them.

I especially like how you where throwing shade at Alek. Classy move.

I’m confused. Was your original post about Pelini and Solich? I read it as being about winning basketball coaches - this being a basketball board - which is why the connection to Callahan and Riley seemed odd.

At any rate, Solich and Pelini have nothing to do with Tim Miles. 

23 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

I’m confused. Was your original post about Pelini and Solich? I read it as being about winning basketball coaches - this being a basketball board - which is why the connection to Callahan and Riley seemed odd.

At any rate, Solich and Pelini have nothing to do with Tim Miles. 

I could see how you would be confused, being that you are a writer an all. If you can't see how wanting to fire TM in a year when he tied for the 2nd most wins in program history is related to how our fan base has reacted in the past when we have fired winning coaches at UNL then there is nothing I can do for you. 

Funny, S6C, how you would not find a connection between coaches at UNL unrelated. I'm not sure if you are being either intentionally or deliberately obtuse.

Regardless it is all good for the OWH isn't it. Sells papers. I'm sure it sells better than retrospectives about MR or how good Tanner Lee throws the ball when defenders aren't present. You can always send that crackpot reporter up to Youngstown State again to write another hit piece.

4 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Frost was a done deal lined up almost 2 weeks ahead of the Riley firing no matter what is said and no matter how hard anyone says the Frost decision was or that the decision came down to the last minute. He was absolutely on board before Riley was let go.

Correct.  And even if Frost had a last minute change of heart, we had a Plan B.  Riley was gone no matter what, which of course was a complete no-brainer.  

7 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think we can all agree we will continue to have turnover regardless of who our coach is. The problem being, our current coach hasn’t proven very successful during his time with that turnover. If we had the track record of Oregon during that time I don’t think there would be as big of an outrage when we lose talented guys. JMO

Again outside of White and Morrow who are the talented players that have left.  As was pointed out, we have pretty much upgraded for those leaving.

9 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Again outside of White and Morrow who are the talented players that have left.  As was pointed out, we have pretty much upgraded for those leaving.

I would throw Petteway and Pitcford is there as well. So is it Miles recruiting misses that we should be questioning then? If we have all these guys transferring and they weren’t talented we should question why were they recruited in the first place? We keep upgrading this talent but don’t have much to show for it in six years.  

Edited by huskerbaseball13

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I said roster turnover. So is it Miles recruiting misses that we should be questioning then? If we have all these guys transferring and they weren’t talented we should question why they were recruited in the first place. 

The need for bodies at a program where there is no history and a coach who has not had time to build relationships?

4 minutes ago, colhusker said:

The need for bodies at a program where there is no history and a coach who has not had time to build relationships?

I don’t put much stock into the history. Bruce Weber did not produce a NCAA appearance in his fifth year and sweet 16 appearance in his sixth year at KSU because of history.  Mcdermott is not producing NCAA appearances at Creighton due to some great history.  Miles has had 5 full recruiting classes...that’s surely more than enough time. I’m not saying he need to go, but had I posted on here that Miles would have zero postseason wins in his first six years I don’t think people would be happy. 

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I would throw Petteway and Pitcford is there as well. So is it Miles recruiting misses that we should be questioning then? If we have all these guys transferring and they weren’t talented we should question why were they recruited in the first place? We keep upgrading this talent but don’t have much to show for it in six years.  

I think what we’re all longing for are some average middle of the road guys. Players who aren’t bad enough to leave because of lack of playing time, but also not good enough to really make a difference. That way they can stay for four years and nobody will really notice. But we’ll have them for a full four years of nobody noticing. We won’t really make any progress but the turnover rate will be lower. ? Think Brandon Richardson. 

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I could see how you would be confused, being that you are a writer an all. If you can't see how wanting to fire TM in a year when he tied for the 2nd most wins in program history is related to how our fan base has reacted in the past when we have fired winning coaches at UNL then there is nothing I can do for you. 

Funny, S6C, how you would not find a connection between coaches at UNL unrelated. I'm not sure if you are being either intentionally or deliberately obtuse.

Regardless it is all good for the OWH isn't it. Sells papers. I'm sure it sells better than retrospectives about MR or how good Tanner Lee throws the ball when defenders aren't present. You can always send that crackpot reporter up to Youngstown State again to write another hit piece.

I do not see the connection between wanting to retain Callahan and/or Riley and desiring Miles be let go. 

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I wont fault Miles for Petteway.   Pitchford was a loss.

21 hours ago, HB said:

Except that's not consistent with your history.   When you were leading the AWIII will leave bandwagon, you intimated that Miles was an A-hole who had serious issues with his players.   And then you disappeared for  a long time. 

He did have serious issues with his players.  Their was drama surrounding him and the program, those are facts.  That doesn’t mean you can’t personally like someone and few they aren’t the best coach for the job. Had they moved on from a Tim at that time, we wouldn’t have this quandary about what to do.  

1 minute ago, lanigan123 said:

He did have serious issues with his players.  Their was drama surrounding him and the program, those are facts.  That doesn’t mean you can’t personally like someone and few they aren’t the best coach for the job. Had they moved on from a Tim at that time, we wouldn’t have this quandary about what to do.  

Not saying this is not true, but I have seen this on a couple boards and yet just cryptic comments about it.  Never this is what happened.

If we get a new coach he better be able too work with bigs.
Apparently it seems no one on this staff appears to know how, which explains what goes on in the post.
Soooo although I like miles I guess I'm in the idk if he can take the team too the next level boat.
Maybe its time to replace an assistant coach instead.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

I am interested in what the factual serious issues are/were?  What do you know? 

I know players left, but my understanding was that the coaches were very transparent with those players and the reasons they left had to do with roles that they didn't want.  The players who left, typically had good things to say about Miles and the staff.  This seems further supported by the observation that Walter, despite leaving the program, still hung out in and around the program.  So if there were/are "serious issues with his players" I would relish the opportunity to hear them.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:35 AM, New huskers fan said:

If we get a new coach he better be able too work with bigs.
Apparently it seems no one on this staff appears to know how, which explains what goes on in the post.
Soooo although I like miles I guess I'm in the idk if he can take the team too the next level boat.
Maybe its time to replace an assistant coach instead.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

What goes on in the post you are specifically alluding to?

Our biggest problems down the stretch was an ability to hit shots, especially from beyond the arc, and rebounding.

Things I like about Miles:

1. He’s recruited a higher caliber athlete than we’ve had in decades

2. He’s taken us to a level previous coaches were unable to

3. Great/open personality and very likeable

Things I’m not sure about:

1. Is the recruiting/success a result of him or facilities upgrades? I know recruiting is about relationships, but could other coaches recruit here just as well with the facilities?

2. The attrition - while arguably natural - seems unhealthy. When TP left, we said it was because he was 24 and his stock. When WP left, it was because he was a head case. When AWIII left, it was his dad and unreasonable expectations. Last years losses weren’t that big of deal... and we arguable ended up better for it. If Palmer or Copeland leaves, I think I’ll be a little more leery and tired of the excuses. All previous instances can be explained individually, but the trend is concerning (some will say this is happening throughout college basketball... but I don’t hear of a lot of quality players leaving early to go to the D-league). 

Things don’t like:

1. The lack of offensive sets to get us goood looks when we’re struggling. 

2. Non-existent in-bounds plays. 

3. Looks we end up getting at the end of games when we NEED a bucket. 

4. Player development. GW (arguably his best recruit) has arguably gotten worse over the last 1.5 years. 

In all, I like Miles and it would be foolish to fire him, but my gut tells me he is not the coach to get us to the NEXT level (consistently in the top half of the B1G). If he’s going to be, I think he needs better coaches on his bench (offensive mind and player development). 

2 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm guessing I have boxer shorts older than you....

Ha! Could be! My dad started taking me to games in the early 90s - though I’d be lying if I said I remember too much of them. I definitely remember Nee’s final years and worked for Collier and Sadler while I attended the university. LOVED Sadler - that man was a class act. 

When I said “decades,” I was referring to mid-90s.