What to do with Miles contract?

6 hours ago, colhusker said:
6 hours ago, Donkey said:

It has also been reported that Miles' short term contract has likely cost Nebraska at least one recruit the staff believed was already in the fold.  Kids are not dumb. 

I have seen this too but when pressed, the person with the source never posted the name of who we've lost.

If kids think that a coach having a 5 year contract ensures security, then yes they are dumb.

I think that ADs are dumb to think that Kids don't realize that coaches get fired all the time with 4 years remaining on their contract...Agents have bee pursuing this position because it gets them 4 to 5 years of pay for their client every time they a coach is fired.

AD's need to realize that they have much more power than the coaches and the agents (other than the truly top tier coaches that mulitple options), but a coach like Miles doesn't have many other viable options to coach at the power five level...so you are extending him, for what.....he isn't going to leave, he doesn't have a better option.

The only reason to extend a coach is if he is truly being pursued by other universities....if you do it for recruiting,  you are being suckered into the agents lies that players think coaches with 5 year contracts have security.

8 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

AD's need to realize that they have much more power than the coaches and the agents (other than the truly top tier coaches that mulitple options), but a coach like Miles doesn't have many other viable options to coach at the power five level...so you are extending him, for what.....he isn't going to leave, he doesn't have a better option.

The only reason to extend a coach is if he is truly being pursued by other universities....if you do it for recruiting,  you are being suckered into the agents lies that players think coaches with 5 year contracts have security.

If this is an AD's philosophy, then no coach is going to want to work for them.

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

If this is an AD's philosophy, then no coach is going to want to work for them.

That is why Agents and coaches  have gotten the upper hand.

I look at Iowa's AD: 

He has extended Kirk Ferrentz and Fran McCaffrey....

Why? They are solid coaches, but what are there options?

To me the universities should have more power in conract extensions...There are only 65 Power five schools and it is a pretty plum job if as a coach you land one.

2 hours ago, HB said:

I took it as basically blaming Aleks for us not  making the tournament.   An absurd comment.  He could have just said Doc was really close to making the tournament.  No reason to name someone in that context.    Like last week, when Sam said Connie Yori resigned "amid scandal".   Except there wasn't a scandal.  

Most coaches preach after tough losses that one play doesn't win or lose the game, whether its a bad call (well, except maybe the Penn State '82 and 1/1/94 Orange Bowl), a missed shot, or bad play.     I suppose "journalists" don't have to follow that, but it would be fair if they gave it a try.   I mean, we could say "Frank wins a Natty and keeps his job if Correll Buckhalter doesn't fumble on the two yard line", but I'm not sure we want to pound on Correll forever.   "Bo gets a Big 10 conference title and everything after that is different if Adi doesn't kick it out of  bounds".    Not fair to pick out one play by one guy as having some transcending meaning.  

HB, this is actually a good discussion to have.  Whenever your team loses a close game, there always seems to be a pivotal play in the game that makes it go south.  Recalling that play and whomever is involved, in my mind, doesn't mean your dissing that player.  You're reading a history book.  You mentioned the 94 Orange Bowl.  I googled Byron Bennett just to make sure I spelled his name correctly.  #2 on Google?  Byron Bennett missed field goal.  I don't blame him for the Florida State loss.  Nor does any other Husker fan I've talked to. 

You might have issues with Sam.  That's fine.  I have issues with a lot of journalists.  Personally, I enjoy his articles and like listening to him on the radio.  Now, that ass Lunardi is a whole different story....;)

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

A coaches power is directly related to how many other schools are interested in them. Right now Miles(or his agent) doesn’t really have any power - makes me think a 2 year extension is most likely.

If you were the AD and you had a coach that had two more years on his contract....and you are thinking, I want to give him another year to see if he is the right fit going forward....Do you give him an extension now, knowing that after next year, you might just eat those two years or do you sit down with the coach and say, you know you have 2 years left on the contract, let's sit down again next year and see how you perform next year.

If Miles had viable options to coach elsewhere, you probably couldn't have that attitude, but since he doesn't I think you are just gifting the university's money if you extend him now.

14 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

HB, this is actually a good discussion to have.  Whenever your team loses a close game, there always seems to be a pivotal play in the game that makes it go south.  Recalling that play and whomever is involved, in my mind, doesn't mean your dissing that player.  You're reading a history book.  You mentioned the 94 Orange Bowl.  I googled Byron Bennett just to make sure I spelled his name correctly.  #2 on Google?  Byron Bennett missed field goal.  I don't blame him for the Florida State loss.  Nor does any other Husker fan I've talked to. 

You might have issues with Sam.  That's fine.  I have issues with a lot of journalists.  Personally, I enjoy his articles and like listening to him on the radio.  Now, that ass Lunardi is a whole different story....;)

It has nothing to do with Sam; I would object to anyone reporting it that way.  Naming the person with the turnover, as if that was was the difference in us winning the game and making the tournament (which literally is what was typed), isn't right in my opinion.  Even if you decided one turnover actually was the difference in the game (which is BS), naming the  player does in fact unnecessarily come close to "dissing him", if not actually "dissing him".    Saying an Aleks Maric turnover was the difference in the game and thus us making the tournament does indeed seem to be blaming him for the loss, or at least that play.     Not that big of a deal, but I didn't like it, and still don't.   So we can agree to disagree.  

Edited by HB

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

If you were the AD and you had a coach that had two more years on his contract....and you are thinking, I want to give him another year to see if he is the right fit going forward....Do you give him an extension now, knowing that after next year, you might just eat those two years or do you sit down with the coach and say, you know you have 2 years left on the contract, let's sit down again next year and see how you perform next year.

If Miles had viable options to coach elsewhere, you probably couldn't have that attitude, but since he doesn't I think you are just gifting the university's money if you extend him now.

I know coaches are usually not negative in public about other coaches but I’ve heard publically not only in the media but at clinics and via the grapevine that the vast majority in the coaching profession that have competed against or interacted with Miles have a very high opinion of him as a coach. Meaning if Miles had an agent working the Final Four for him, I would bet he would have some takers. I don’t think he wants to go anywhere knowing he’s got a pretty good gig right here. 

Edited by Dean Smith

4 hours ago, HB said:

Nice job getting a shot in on Aleks, Sam.  You think we're even in a bunch of those games with him, including that one?  Of all the players on all the crappy teams in one of the crappiest programs ever, you have to get in a shot on a guy like that.  Probably could have made your point without going there.  Hell, while you're at it, go after Turner Gill for a bad pass on the two point conversion.  

Maric is the only reason Nebraska was in position for the NCAA Tournament. But I figured, y’know, not everybody would know that turnover. 

35 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I know coaches are usually not negative in public about other coaches but I’ve heard publically not only in the media but at clinics and via the grapevine that the vast majority in the coaching precession that have competed against or interacted with Miles have  a very high opinion of him  as a coach. 

This is true.

Goodness, this thread has a significant share of peaks and valleys...or perhaps it is like puppies wading into a pool of crocodiles. 

I smile because until I saw this thread I was naïve enough to think that there wasn't any question about Coach Miles being back.  I thought that if Miles would leave, it was because of other opportunities.  Shame on me...I think.

I for one support the staff that is here.  If the AD decides another staff is necessary to take us somewhere we have never been, then so be it. 

Guessing the recruit in question is Eric Hunter.   We were all over him early on and he consistently had us at the top.  One day he committed to Purdue.

And yes...the contract thing is a major issue for recruits.   Perception is reality and the optics of not rolling over a coach after a 3rd consecutive year are not good.

Edited by nustudent

Here’s my post on this subject at RSS.

My vote is for Tim Miles to stay. Here’s why:
1. He’s had a great year—historically great;
2. He has multiple highly ranked players;
3. He has an excellent group of assistants;
4. Husker fans have been voting with their feet and filling the Vault since it’s opening, throughout his tenure;
5. He’s been National Coach of the Year once and is B1G runner-up COY this year;
6. He’s an excellent ambassador for the University;
7. He’s run a clean program, as far as we and Bill Moos can tell; and
8. He’s been hampered on recruiting the last couple years by the no-extension reality, which leaves negative-recruiting implications and realities.

On the negative side of considerations that favor Tim Miles:
1. Bill Moos is not a basketball guy—his basketball hire at Wash. St. is struggling mightily;
2. Tim Miles is an Osborne hire, and that’s not someone lightly terminated;
3. There is no Frost-like heir to bring in; and
4. With the FBI wild-card, there might be lots of Div. 1 coaching spots open in the next year or two or three—and a clean Tim Miles might end up being a hot commodity.

If I were Bill Moos, I’d give Tim Miles my full confidence and a five-year contract. And I’d declare such action to be a turning point in the history of Nebrasketball

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

If kids think that a coach having a 5 year contract ensures security, then yes they are dumb.

I think that ADs are dumb to think that Kids don't realize that coaches get fired all the time with 4 years remaining on their contract...Agents have bee pursuing this position because it gets them 4 to 5 years of pay for their client every time they a coach is fired.

Understand, but this has nothing to do with the people and their sources not ever naming a name.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Are we actively in on those top 20 recruits?  

For the none 1 and dones...its a big thing

I mean the philosophy of these kids is go pro early or transfer to a team that will give you a chance to go pro. Seems like 60% of the recruits aren’t on the same team in 2 years anyways. We see it here in transfers in and out. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I mean the philosophy of these kids is go pro early or transfer to a team that will give you a chance to go pro. Seems like 60% of the recruits aren’t on the same team in 2 years anyways. We see it here in transfers in and out. 

Dont think recruits plan on transferring when they sign.  Sure they take advantage of the environment if things dont go their way right away, but stability, or at least the appearance of, matters.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Dont think recruits plan on transferring when they sign.  Sure they take advantage of the environment if things dont go their way right away, but stability, or at least the appearance of, matters.

Yeah.....I can see that. I’d be curious on where it stacks up with facilities and past history with most kids. Everyone is different I’m sure. 

I don’t know anything about Miles’ status or his contract but if Moos does go in another direction he better call Eric Musselman. We supposedly contacted him last year and after watching his theatrics the last couple days—do want. Badly.

And then he can freak out and say something similar when he leads Nebrasketball to the sweet 16.