What to do with Miles contract?

First time poster, long time lurker, strong opinioned Nebrasketball fan. 

Time to cut ties with Miles and move forward with a new era.  The more games watched this post season, not just conference tournaments but more specifically the dance, the more it's painfully obvious to this middle aged geezer our coaching staff is not at a major conference level.  I fully understand Husker hoops is the bottom of the bottom when it comes to history however; arena, practice facility, home game attendance, resources, conference affiliation, etc are all combined to be in the top 30ish in the country.  We should demand more, as a fan base & expect more in return.  

There's talk about "best talent we've had in years", "Michael Lewis has a heavy hand in the offense", and other stuff but it's not enough folks.  We're the same team struggling to score points against better competition with zero creativity.  But we supposedly have better talent so something has to give.  Either the coaching isn't good, or the talent is overvalued as a fan base, or a combination of both.  We have key parts but we're also missing key parts as well and in year 6, that shouldn't happen.  Personally, I see coaching as the issue as we've got some dudes that can play.  

I appreciate everything Tim has done for Husker hoops.  Not just on the court in season 2 getting us to the dance, or this season with 22 wins, or how he perfectly handled the racist moron on campus a few months back, but also what he did off the court in booster settings being the (coaching) face of our athletic program because Pelini couldn't mingle at the level needed.  Tim has done us good.  Tim has also done us bad.  We've given him 6 years with a lot of resources.  

The iron is hot right now around this great state.  There's a buzz that hasn't been here for 15+ years.  I'd like to see a change.  GBR! 

34 minutes ago, Donkey said:

It has also been reported that Miles' short term contract has likely cost Nebraska at least one recruit the staff believed was already in the fold.  Kids are not dumb. 

I have seen this too but when pressed, the person with the source never posted the name of who we've lost.

33 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

Time to cut ties with Miles and move forward with a new era.  The more games watched this post season, not just conference tournaments but more specifically the dance, the more it's painfully obvious to this middle aged geezer our coaching staff is not at a major conference level.  I fully understand Husker hoops is the bottom of the bottom when it comes to history however; arena, practice facility, home game attendance, resources, conference affiliation, etc are all combined to be in the top 30ish in the country.  We should demand more, as a fan base & expect more in return.  

There's talk about "best talent we've had in years", "Michael Lewis has a heavy hand in the offense", and other stuff but it's not enough folks.  We're the same team struggling to score points against better competition with zero creativity.  But we supposedly have better talent so something has to give.  Either the coaching isn't good, or the talent is overvalued as a fan base, or a combination of both.  We have key parts but we're also missing key parts as well and in year 6, that shouldn't happen.  Personally, I see coaching as the issue as we've got some dudes that can play.  

I appreciate everything Tim has done for Husker hoops.  Not just on the court in season 2 getting us to the dance, or this season with 22 wins, or how he perfectly handled the racist moron on campus a few months back, but also what he did off the court in booster settings being the (coaching) face of our athletic program because Pelini couldn't mingle at the level needed.  Tim has done us good.  Tim has also done us bad.  We've given him 6 years with a lot of resources.  

The iron is hot right now around this great state.  There's a buzz that hasn't been here for 15+ years.  I'd like to see a change.  GBR! 

Welcome to (posting on) the board!

You're going to need to brush up on your semicolons, though.  You should have put it before "however" (and a comma after) in your first main paragraph.  ;)

NEITHER ALTMAN NOR LUE ARE GOING TO COME TO NEBRASKA. IT.IS.NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN.

Funny people say Moos isn't sold on TM, when I have heard the exact opposite. If Miles is not at Nebraska next year it is because he doesn't want to be here...period.

What it is with this fan base blood-lust for firing coaches after winning seasons. Those same idiots are the ones that wanted to retain loser coaches like BC and MR.

As matter of course I'm going to down vote anybody who brings up the idea that either Altman or Lue are coming to coach basketball ant Nebraska.

These sorts of rumors are the kind that are spread on the RSS, Max, and 247 as if they are fact. Idiocy has over run all of those boards. They are nothing but cesspools.

1 hour ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

You can say the iron is hot, but Nebraska has the ability to keep up with the Jones’s on the facilities end.  The iron will not be hot when you start over from square one with players. IF this core sticks together this offseason, you cannot do a move like that. I’d say it’d be a hard move to do either way.

If Nebraska were to make a change, they should have after last season.

18 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Rumors started on the RSS, HuskerMax, and 247 aren't sources. You think Moos is going to fire Miles, after tying the record for winning the 2nd most games in program history? I'm fairly certain Moos is smarter than that. I have no sources about contract talks but I feel fairly confident in saying that he will likely get extended to 2023. 

Well good thing, I'm not stupid enough to consider that a source. Good try at an insult though. I appreciate the effort

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

What it is with this fan base blood-lust for firing coaches after winning seasons. Those same idiots are the ones that wanted to retain loser coaches like BC and MR.

They are? 

Bill Callahan was fired in 2007. I don't recall anyone wanting Doc Sadler axed after going 20-13 in year two. (And basically finishing one Aleks Maric mid court turnover at Texas from making the NCAA Tournament.)

Edited by swmckewon

14 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

They are? 

Bill Callahan was fired in 2007. I don't recall anyone wanting Doc Sadler axed after going 20-13 in year two. (And basically finishing one Aleks Maric mid court turnover at Texas from making the NCAA Tournament.)

Nice job getting a shot in on Aleks, Sam.  You think we're even in a bunch of those games with him, including that one?  Of all the players on all the crappy teams in one of the crappiest programs ever, you have to get in a shot on a guy like that.  Probably could have made your point without going there.  Hell, while you're at it, go after Turner Gill for a bad pass on the two point conversion.  

27 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Personally, I oppose down arrows for people like Shower Cap who are just posting a genuine opinion that appears to be free of deliberate trolling or personal invective.  If a poster says something you disagree with but he's not being an asshole about it, why not click the "Submit Reply" button rather than the red down arrow?

I don't agree with him that it's time to cut ties with Miles but I'm giving a green arrow to balance out reds that I personally don't believe are warranted.

I'm with you, Norm.  How will we ever get the undocumented posters to come out from the shadows if we threaten them with red down arrows?

3 minutes ago, HB said:

Nice job getting a shot in on Aleks, Sam.  You think we're even in a bunch of those games with him, including that one?  Of all the players on all the crappy teams in one of the crappiest programs ever, you have to get in a shot on a guy like that.  Probably could have made your point without going there.  Hell, while you're at it, go after Turner Gill for a bad pass on the two point conversion.  

Maybe I misread it, but I didn't take it as a shot at Aleks.  I took it as Doc was really close to making the tourney.

30 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Maybe I misread it, but I didn't take it as a shot at Aleks.  I took it as Doc was really close to making the tourney.

I took it as basically blaming Aleks for us not  making the tournament.   An absurd comment.  He could have just said Doc was really close to making the tournament.  No reason to name someone in that context.    Like last week, when Sam said Connie Yori resigned "amid scandal".   Except there wasn't a scandal.  

Most coaches preach after tough losses that one play doesn't win or lose the game, whether its a bad call (well, except maybe the Penn State '82 and 1/1/94 Orange Bowl), a missed shot, or bad play.     I suppose "journalists" don't have to follow that, but it would be fair if they gave it a try.   I mean, we could say "Frank wins a Natty and keeps his job if Correll Buckhalter doesn't fumble on the two yard line", but I'm not sure we want to pound on Correll forever.   "Bo gets a Big 10 conference title and everything after that is different if Adi doesn't kick it out of  bounds".    Not fair to pick out one play by one guy as having some transcending meaning.  

Edited by HB

30 minutes ago, HB said:

I took it as basically blaming Aleks for us not  making the tournament.   An absurd comment.  He could have just said Doc was really close to making the tournament.  No reason to name someone in that context.    Like last week, when Sam said Connie Yori resigned "amid scandal".   Except there wasn't a scandal.  

Yeah, I think you misread it. 

4 hours ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

I don't see why this needs to be downvoted.  It is a well-articulated opinion meant to further the discussion that is free of malice or obvious trolling.  In my opinion, that's what message boards are all about.

Although he could still be a bluebird troll just establishing himself up for a long-con, but oh well!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Personally, I oppose down arrows for people like Shower Cap who are just posting a genuine opinion that appears to be free of deliberate trolling or personal invective.  If a poster says something you disagree with but he's not being an asshole about it, why not click the "Submit Reply" button rather than the red down arrow?

I don't agree with him that it's time to cut ties with Miles but I'm giving a green arrow to balance out reds that I personally don't believe are warranted.

Just because you say you've never posted here does that really mean you've never posted here?

On 3/18/2018 at 2:45 PM, NebrasketballJake said:

The belief in the athletic department was that we were either going to Dayton or going to the NIT, and I can confirm that, because of logistics and having to plan in advance, I'd assume there was likely a tentative travel plan made, one for Dayton and one for the NIT. They probably had to keep their options open, I'm sure they weren't dead set on one destination or the other.

It makes a lot of sense that we would have been prepared for the scenario to leave for a Tuesday game because we were going to play either Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.

6 hours ago, Donkey said:

Moos could have extended Miles contract at any time.  It has been almost a week and Moos has not come out with a clear statement that Miles will be coaching Nebraska next season.  It has also been reported that Miles' short term contract has likely cost Nebraska at least one recruit the staff believed was already in the fold.  Kids are not dumb.  They see Miles go through a 20 win season and still have no reassurance that the program wants Miles around for the long term.  Go to the recruiting page and see that only two 2019 kids are mentioned on the first page.  Miles lack of an extension is already hurting the 2019 class.  Kids were talking Nebrasketball as sophomores and juniors in 2013-2016.  Now, its crickets.

Moos knows what he is doing, and I guarantee you he is not sold on Miles.  The extension would have been signed weeks ago had Moos decided Miles was they guy.  Miles would not be pitching Moos a five year plan sometime this week if Moos was set on Miles.  However, Moos will not let Miles go unless a clearly better coach is locked in.  The potential hire cannot be seen as a marginal improvement.  The closest equivalent to Scott Frost for Nebrasketball would be Tyron Lue and Dana Altman.  I note that Lue is reportedly taking a leave of absence from the Cavs which essentially eliminates him.  Altman, who knows.  Either way, I guarantee you Moos has put out feeler calls just to placate certain people.  Thad Matta, whom I am not sold on (and am not sure would be seen as a splash hire as well).  Also, Thad Matta is available and would have been hired by now had Moos wanted him.  That leaves Altman or someone who coached last weekend.  The longer Moos takes to make an announcement, the less I think Miles will be retained. 

Do you think we should have extended during the season?  Otherwise, is the week or two between the end of the season and when something gets figured out really going to matter a lot for recruiting?  I don't think this is a particularly hot period for signing 2019 kids off the top of my head.

While I agree with most of your thought process here, couldn't taking more time to make an announcement mean that we aren't able to lock in a clearly better coach and thus Miles is more likely to be retained?  When does this meeting between Miles and Moos take place?  At this point in the game it doesn't seem like anything would move forward until that happened.

Any talks about recruiting being "hurt" don't make sense to me. Are kids not coming to Nebraska because they're worried about the coach's length of contract? When it comes to facilities and fan support, Nebraska is one of the best places in the country - and kids still don't come here (even BEFORE Miles wasn't granted extensions).

Tim Miles is 7-26 in road and neutral site games in the month of March (as a Div I head coach- CSU/NEB). He is 0-6 against Creighton. In order to take the next step as a program, we have to win these games. Miles' track record shows he's not the guy to make that happen. In fact, there is not a single coach in the Big Ten I wouldn't take over Miles.

Take off your rose-colored glasses and see if you can envision Tim Miles beating Creighton, winning a holiday tournament, playing on Saturday of the conference tournament, winning the NIT, or winning a NCAA Tournament game. I desperately WANT to see those things, but without my rose-colored glasses I only see more disappointment in March.

If Miles is granted an extension, I can't say he didn't earn it. But if we want to no longer be the only power conference team to not win a NCAA Tournament game, we need to hire a coach who has won a NCAA Tournament game before. To me, that is the minimum requirement.

Edited by dustystehl