What to do with Miles contract?

You gotta extend him n you gotta make it so he has a 4 or 5 year deal weather it’s a whole new contract or just an extension.

hopes for next year should be high, I have my sights set on the school record for wins in the regular season alone but I don’t get all the talk that we are in trouble after cope palmer n glen leave. The cupboards will be far from bear and with 4 or 5 open scholarships next year my sights are set on a top 25 recruiting class similar to the class of 2015 rankings wise.

when your a program like Nebraska it’s all about stability, n if we reup with miles I believe in 5 years we will be beyond pleased with the state of the program. 

I am not sure what the discussion Is even about.  I am certainly "not about" mediocrity, so if I did not think the program was headed in the right direction, I would either be silent on the subject, or I would opine that the staff should be changed.  But this staff had done a good job.  Consider the black cloud that hung over this program a year ago to where it is today.  We have players on the roster, we have cohesiveness on the roster, we have high character kids on the roster, we have good recruits coming in.  We need to improve, and we need to win in the post-season.  But we are now coming off one of our best seasons...ever.  It is time to extend the head coach and do the same for the assistants. 

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

But we are now coming off one of our best seasons...ever. 

Sorry, but we are not.  We finished 4th in the conference.  Been there, done that several times.  Got a 5 seed in the NIT.  Been there done that several times.  22 wins is nice, but the SOS sucked.  13 conference wins are nice, but it took 18 conference games to get there, in a year where you only played the other top teams in the league once.

Don't get me wrong.  This year was fun to watch the team play.

I don't know how everything plays out as far as Miles returning.  I find it interesting that according to Barfknecht, he requested the meeting with Moos through Boehm, and he told Lee he was going to present his 5 year plan for the Huskers going forward.  Politicking for his job?  IDK.

I have no inside info, but I think it's 50/50 at best Miles is back next year.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I can not believe this is a thread. If Miles isn't here next year it's because he doesn't want to. 

I respectfully disagree.  This should be a thread.  Miles, in his 6 years at NU, is .500.  2 winning seasons, 1 NCAA Tourney berth, 1 NIT berth, zero post season victories and 0-2 in the B1G Tourney as the 4th seed.  Why can't his record, and therefore his future here, be discussed? 

Maybe you've talked to Moos.  I have no idea.  I do know Miles doesn't have tenure.  It's not his call if he wants to be here next year or not.

10 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I respectfully disagree.  This should be a thread.  Miles, in his 6 years at NU, is .500.  2 winning seasons, 1 NCAA Tourney berth, 1 NIT berth, zero post season victories and 0-2 in the B1G Tourney as the 4th seed.  Why can't his record, and therefore his future here, be discussed? 

Maybe you've talked to Moos.  I have no idea.  I do know Miles doesn't have tenure.  It's not his call if he wants to be here next year or not.

Just about anyone with that resume would be on a warm/hot seat. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

9 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

How can you disagree with what I can’t believe? Trust me I know what I can’t believe and this thread is one of them. 

16 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

The selection committee put zero value on recency bias. The question is... will Moos do the same?

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Politicking for his job? 

A lot of us have gone through a change in bosses...I know I have. Miles certainly has.

Part of that process, especially if the old boss was fired instead of moving on, is that you at some point re-apply for your job.  This is Miles reapplying for his job.

How much have Miles and Moos sat down and talked in the 6th months or so since Moos got here?  I'd doubt it's much.

As far as how it's going to go Moos has been on record about valuing a guy who can bring in the Jimmys and Joes and Miles has been doing that without getting investigated by the FBI. At this point it seems like it's just a matter of how many years he will be extended and hopefully that doesn't mean more losing seasons where he does leave/get fired anyway.

After all the angst Moos went through to hire a new football coach, it is hard to imagine he wants that to any degree with a basketball program that did as well as it did this year. I expect him to extend Miles' contract at least a couple of years out if not four regardless of what attrition there may be.

Part of the reason why I think nothing has been said is also the women's team is in the NCAA tournament plus with spring break starting the players will have more time to decide what they will do.  I for one would expect Hunter to stay for his son will be a senior. Lewis may have some opportunities at HC oppotunities or higher assistant coaching opportunities. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

A lot of us have gone through a change in bosses...I know I have. Miles certainly has.

Part of that process, especially if the old boss was fired instead of moving on, is that you at some point re-apply for your job.  This is Miles reapplying for his job.

How much have Miles and Moos sat down and talked in the 6th months or so since Moos got here?  I'd doubt it's much.

As far as how it's going to go Moos has been on record about valuing a guy who can bring in the Jimmys and Joes and Miles has been doing that without getting investigated by the FBI. At this point it seems like it's just a matter of how many years he will be extended and hopefully that doesn't mean more losing seasons where he does leave/get fired anyway.

I don’t think enough is being said about this with so many schools being investigated, and we are getting good classes of high character guys who handle their business on the court/off the court/ in the classroom and they’re not scrubs either. This coaching market if we go looking is going to be so suspect and interesting

3 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

I don’t think enough is being said about this with so many schools being investigated, and we are getting good classes of high character guys who handle their business on the court/off the court/ in the classroom and they’re not scrubs either. This coaching market if we go looking is going to be so suspect and interesting

This I think is huge.  In a world of cheating, vacated titles, and vacated wins, we managed to win the 2nd most games in school history.

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Sorry, but we are not.  We finished 4th in the conference.  Been there, done that several times.  Got a 5 seed in the NIT.  Been there done that several times.  22 wins is nice, but the SOS sucked.  13 conference wins are nice, but it took 18 conference games to get there, in a year where you only played the other top teams in the league once.

Don't get me wrong.  This year was fun to watch the team play.

I don't know how everything plays out as far as Miles returning.  I find it interesting that according to Barfknecht, he requested the meeting with Moos through Boehm, and he told Lee he was going to present his 5 year plan for the Huskers going forward.  Politicking for his job?  IDK.

I have no inside info, but I think it's 50/50 at best Miles is back next year.

What coach are you getting if you let our .500 coach go?  Please name them.  If you are going to fire a coach who set records, you better have a sure fire coaching hire. No Power 6 coach is coming, if you win 22 games, and get fired. No mid major coach is coming for his career to die.

For as crappy as the Big Ten was this year, the only teams to finish with 13 wins in the conference were top 3 seeds in the NCAA.  If it was so easy to win 13 games, Maryland, PSU, Northwestern,  Minnesota,  Indiana, etc. would have did it.  

On 3/15/2018 at 7:22 AM, brfrad said:

Fire.  What coach in their right mind is coming here?  "Hey, you know what winning the most conference games in school history,  gets you?  A pink slip."

I don't believe he should or will get fired but I do trust our current AD with that decision.

IMO, Moos is waiting to see what is going to happen with roster turnover as that will tell us a lot next years season.

Nothing will likely happen while the players are on spring break.