What to do with Miles contract?

10 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

He probably deserves as much patience as Pat Chambers' ten year plan requires.

Maybe we can arrange for Chambers' barber and tailor to come to Lincoln. And Mike Watkins, though I'm pretty sure Watkins is 35 years old.

Edited by jayschool

15 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

If you were told at the beginning of the season that we would be 22-10 and 13-5 in conference would you consider not retaining Miles back in October?  Strange season but if Miles can keep us in the top half of the Big Ten it seems he is doing his job.

Preferably more than 33% of the time.

Okay since I am not a rumor guy but a friend last night was over watching the game and she said that at the gym she goes to al the " men that think they know stuff" are talking about Moos has signed Dana for 5 years at $5 mil a year.  Done deal. 

She asked me if I had heard anything because she knows I visit this site once in a blue moon.^_^

Any how that is one of many rumors I am sure we will hear until the real truth comes out.

WOW just think Moos would have gotten two native sons to come home and coach teams.  That would make what 4 former players coaching here then?

22 wins and people still think HCTM should be on the hot seat??  I don't get that.  No coach in their right mind would come here if Tim is let go.  It's not his fault the selection committee  decided the B1G was down because the usual bottom teams (Huskers and Penn State) were good this year.  Nebraska and PSU were inappropriately left out of the NCAA in my opinion.  

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It's pretty simple for Moos. Either:

1. Extend the contract to 4 years in total, or

2. Fire him

There's no dancing around it. You either think he's the guy or you don't. A small 1-2 year extension only sets this program up for a more drawn out failure.

This and he needs to do it soon.  

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

It's pretty easy, you have to extend him. Let's look at the choice.

Fire.  What coach in their right mind is coming here?  "Hey, you know what winning the most conference games in school history,  gets you?  A pink slip."

No extension. Kind of along the same lines. No coach is going to work for an AD, who doesn't take care of coaches. Plus, it hurts recruiting.

Extension. I say make it 4 years remaining.  IIRC, he is down to 1 or 2 years left.  Make it another 2 years.  Sure, you may need to let him go next year, but it looks better from the outside.  You can attract better coaches if needed.

Don't we get at least one of the two huge ex football coaches off the payroll next year?  I like this plan.

36 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay since I am not a rumor guy but a friend last night was over watching the game and she said that at the gym she goes to al the " men that think they know stuff" are talking about Moos has signed Dana for 5 years at $5 mil a year.  Done deal. 

She asked me if I had heard anything because she knows I visit this site once in a blue moon.^_^

Any how that is one of many rumors I am sure we will hear until the real truth comes out.

WOW just think Moos would have gotten two native sons to come home and coach teams.  That would make what 4 former players coaching here then?

This is why Moos needs to get this addressed and in a hurry because its just going to cause for more speculation and rumors to float around out there.  Sooner the better

40 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

This would be an absolute dream come true.

Without attrition, next season is:

FR:  Xavier Johnson, Brady Heiman, Karrington Davis

SO:  Allen, Nana, Thor

JR:  Roby, Jordy 

SR:  Glynn, James, Cope, Jack

I mean... that's one hell of a recruiting job, and proves Miles has completely changed the culture of the standard Nebraska basketball athlete back to a 90s standard.  What he's done in the recruiting realm is beyond comprehension when you compare it to the horrifying rosters from Doc and Barry.  

I think the sour grapes of how the season ended are making us forget that we had basically no decent B1G opponent in PBA this season.  We beat the piss out of Michigan at home.  One of OSU, Purdue, or (less likely with matchups) MSU would've very likely been beaten soundly on our home court.  Then we're in the dance and the extension is consensus.  One missed KU three and the extension is consensus.  Is that really something to hang your hat and and fire the guy?

I admit I was one of the ones who said "NCAA or fire TM" this season based on the talent of the roster, but I'm changing my stance on that.  This team played well enough and was coached well enough to make the tournament.  They were dealt an awful hand.  There were no terrible losses (no, losing at Illinois wasn't a terrible loss, and made no difference to our NCAA dance status).  Our defensive philosophy improved immensely and we put a lot of high character kids on the court who played hard.  

Extend the dude's contract.  He can recruit AND coach talent.  He proved it this season.  

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Without attrition, next season is:

FR:  Xavier Johnson, Brady Heiman, Karrington Davis

SO:  Allen, Nana, Thor

JR:  Roby, Jordy 

SR:  Glynn, James, Cope, Jack

I mean... that's one hell of a recruiting job, and proves Miles has completely changed the culture of the standard Nebraska basketball athlete back to a 90s standard.  What he's done in the recruiting realm is beyond comprehension when you compare it to the horrifying rosters from Doc and Barry.  

I think the sour grapes of how the season ended are making us forget that we had basically no decent B1G opponent in PBA this season.  We beat the piss out of Michigan at home.  One of OSU, Purdue, or (less likely with matchups) MSU would've very likely been beaten soundly on our home court.  Then we're in the dance and the extension is consensus.  One missed KU three and the extension is consensus.  Is that really something to hang your hat and and fire the guy?

I admit I was one of the ones who said "NCAA or fire TM" this season based on the talent of the roster, but I'm changing my stance on that.  This team played well enough and was coached well enough to make the tournament.  They were dealt an awful hand.  There were no terrible losses (no, losing at Illinois wasn't a terrible loss, and made no difference to our NCAA dance status).  Our defensive philosophy improved immensely and we put a lot of high character kids on the court who played hard.  

Extend the dude's contract.  He can recruit AND coach talent.  He proved it this season.  

You’re completely right on recruiting he’s taken it to the next level. The problem with this argument is everyone has different expectations. Personally I would have set my expectations by the end of year 6 as: get Nebraska’s 1st NCAA win, go 3-3 against creighton, 2+ NCAA appearances. 

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

You’re completely right on recruiting he’s taken it to the next level. The problem with this argument is everyone has different expectations. Personally I would have set my expectations by the end of year 6 as: get Nebraska’s 1st NCAA win, go 3-3 against creighton, 2+ NCAA appearances. 

But what standard are you basing that off of?  Miles inherited basically no roster and a team that was coming off a 12-18, 4-14 B1G season.  I think before you can be a perennial contender you have to be a level better than what came before you.  While Doc was more consistently mediocre, Miles has been working for this full of a roster his entire tenure at Nebraska, and had to take some lumps to get there.  I see WAY more significance to what I saw on the court this season than what I saw in 13-14.  We actually had a good team, not one that "got hot" or became a flash in the pan.  It was consistently good basketball with a roster full of good players--one that improves big time next year if we can have no attrition.  

I am a Miles fan.  He has done more in my lifetime than any of the other coaches.  That is a lot shorter than many of your lifetimes though.  However, I am 100% on the all or nothing train.  Either extend him and let him know that he is our guy, or go the other route.  I am OK with either.  Especially with Moos at the helm.  I would not be mad no matter which way it went.  There has to be a lot of uncertainty, and that is never a good thing.  Do one or the other, don't drag it out.