uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 10, epilogue - NIT @ Mississippi State

uneblinstu

Was a fun and enjoyable season. Never thought we were “gonna lose” in any game, and that’s a rarity for sure. 

Hope everyone stays motivated and comes back even hungrier. 

And I watch a lot of NBA, like league pass level...I don’t think we have to worry about anyone declaring for the draft.

Now, overseas....

Tough end to a pretty magical month n a half as a fan.

effort was pretty lack luster tonight, jordys gotta learn to finish dunks n lay ups my god, and redic amount of three point shots when we don’t shoot it well from the normal distance.

im a pretty big Miles supporter but am pretty disappointed w tonight’s game. They showed alil offense from time to time w glen getting into the lane but defensive game plan was poo. There point could shake n bake us whenever he wanted to off the dribble n the lack of zone defense was quite frankly maddening, probably the only time all year I’ve had issues w coaching outside of the penn st debacle.

w all that being said I am pumped for the home stretch of recruiting and am looking forward to a loaded roster next year.

A thanks to all that make this site and blog what it is, I check it atleast 5 times a day since becoming part of it. Love the opinions and the feedback even to the guy who says cope is good on the boards

Post game notes

*-Nebraska finishes with a 22-11 record, as the 22 wins tied for the second-highest total in school history.
*-Nebraska made its 18th NIT appearance in school history and first since the 2010-11 season.
*-With the loss, Nebraska falls to 23-17 all-time in the NIT.
*-Nebraska is 0-2 all-time against Mississippi State
*-With 13 points tonight, James Palmer Jr. moved into eighth place on NU’s single-season scoring list, passing Jaron Boone  (1995), Andrew White III (2016) and Terran Petteway (2015).  Palmer, who finished the season with 568 points, also reached double figures for the 31st time this season. He also tied his season high with two blocked shots,
*-With four free throw attempts, Palmer tied Kimani Ffriend’s school record of 221 set in 1999-2000. Palmer also finished fourth on NU’s single-season free throw attempt list.
*-Isaiah Roby finished the season with eight straight double figure performances, as he finished with 10 points and eight rebounds. Roby also grabbed seven or more rebounds in each of NU’s last eight contests.
*-Nebraska’s five turnovers tied a season low (also at Michigan State)
*-Nebraska finished with 182 blocked shots, a total which is third on NU’s single-season list and the most since 1997.
*-Isaac Copeland reached double figures for the 23rd time this season with 12 points (17-5 entering tonight)
*-Tonight marked only the second time all season that Nebraska lost consecutive games (Dec. 9-16).

Final thought on this game. Were the sight lines from the left baseline poor there? I have never seen so many wide open shots from that corner missed. Might we have tried Jack for couple of minutes to see if he could have done better from there? He has had a few games for us when he shot those type shots well and a couple of made shots from that spot would have made a huge difference in the game. Oh well, don't have to worry about watching any more NIT games. 

OK. Time for some steely-eyed realism.

We were what they said we were. OK. Not great. A middling NIT seed. I think we beat that team at PBA, and that's a good thing regarding the progress made by this team. We are a tough out at home. We have enough talent to threaten top teams and maybe even beat them occasionally. At home. On the road, this roster had enough talent to bet 100+ teams. That's about it.

On offense, we were inconsistent. Gill and Taylor didn't provide enough of a consistent threat to make up for others having off nights. Watson is still a mystery from game to game regarding his offense. And when we go to a player in the low post... well, we don't have an offensive presence in the low post.

On defense, we were generally pretty salty on the perimeter, but we couldn't guard down low.

So ...

This program can take a step forward again (NCAA berth, mid-level seed, first-round victory) next year, but it's going to need at least these things to happen between now and Nov. 1 at each of these positions:

1. Glynn Watson improves more than he's ever improved in an off-season, or Xavier Johnson comes in ready to play high-level B1G basketball.
  2. James Palmer steps up his game to the point where he's strong handling the ball and he's more active off the ball. From the bench, Nana/Thor/Karrington/Thomas emerges as a consistent deep threat.
  3. Isaac Copeland becomes a stronger defender and a more consistent offensive threat. Jack/Nana/Karrington can provide some solid backup minutes.
  4. Isaiah Roby moves to a position more suited to his skillset and body-type so that he's not picking up bad fouls against players bigger and stronger than he is. Jack re-emerges as a 10-minute a game bench threat.
  5. WE FIND A MATURE, STRONG POST who has at least one good post move and maybe can stretch the D occasionally as well as stand his ground on D. Jordy becomes a solid backup center, with Tanner as a spot player.

If we have to rely on Jordy as a starter, then we shouldn't rely on Jordy as a starter and take our chances with this year's starting lineup, substituting Nana/Karrington/Thomas/Thor into the Gill/Taylor spot. Unfortunately, I think that scenario might not yield the results we think it will. Of course, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

If roster movement goes the other way — meaning we lose any of the above players — f*ck it. 

Edited by jayschool

55 minutes ago, jayschool said:

OK. Time for some steely-eyed realism.

We were what they said we were. OK. Not great. A middling NIT seed. I think we beat that team at PBA, and that's a good thing regarding the progress made by this team. We are a tough out at home. We have enough talent to threaten top teams and maybe even beat them occasionally. At home. On the road, this roster had enough talent to bet 100+ teams. That's about it.

On offense, we were inconsistent. Gill and Taylor didn't provide enough of a consistent threat to make up for others having off nights. Watson is still a mystery from game to game regarding his offense. And when we go to a player in the low post... well, we don't have an offensive presence in the low post.

On defense, we were generally pretty salty on the perimeter, but we couldn't guard down low.

So ...

This program can take a step forward again (NCAA berth, mid-level seed, first-round victory) next year, but it's going to need at least these things to happen between now and Nov. 1 at each of these positions:

1. Glynn Watson improves more than he's ever improved in an off-season, or Xavier Johnson comes in ready to play high-level B1G basketball.
  2. James Palmer steps up his game to the point where he's strong handling the ball and he's more active off the ball. From the bench, Nana/Thor/Karrington/Thomas emerges as a consistent deep threat.
  3. Isaac Copeland becomes a stronger defender and a more consistent offensive threat. Jack/Nana/Karrington can provide some solid backup minutes.
  4. Isaiah Roby moves to a position more suited to his skillset and body-type so that he's not picking up bad fouls against players bigger and stronger than he is. Jack re-emerges as a 10-minute a game bench threat.
  5. WE FIND A MATURE, STRONG POST who has at least one good post move and maybe can stretch the D occasionally as well as stand his ground on D. Jordy becomes a solid backup center, with Tanner as a spot player.

If we have to rely on Jordy as a starter, then we shouldn't rely on Jordy as a starter and take our chances with this year's starting lineup, substituting Nana/Karrington/Thomas/Thor into the Gill/Taylor spot. Unfortunately, I think that scenario might not yield the results we think it will. Of course, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

If roster movement goes the other way — meaning we lose any of the above players — f*ck it. 

If we lose or Nana F it?  Seriously?   

*-With four free throw attempts, Palmer tied Kimani Ffriend’s school record of 221 set in 1999-2000. Palmer also finished fourth on NU’s single-season free throw attempt list.

Wait, what?  He tied Ffriend's school record, but he also finished fourth in the same category?

19 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Wait, what?  He tied Ffriend's school record, but he also finished fourth in the same category?

That's a typo. He finished 4th on the FT make list