Nebraska (22-10) vs. Mississippi State (22-11) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

24 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I think tonight provided a clear argument that we’d be no better than 19-15 if we played the same schedules as the teams to which you refer. Metrics are there for a reason. They aren’t perfect, but they help paint a clearer picture than simply comparing 22 wins vs 19. We beat up on mediocre teams and had three or four nice wins at home.

Sad fact is that we aren’t used to seeing good basketball in Lincoln. When we finally got a team that was competent, we held them with high regard in our minds. Looking back, this is an average NIT squad, and I’m afraid it’s the apex for Timmy here. Unfortunately, he bought himself another year. No tournament next year and he better not be back in 2020.

Our metrics were poor because we just didn't have chances.  Someone called me out earlier about guarantees.  You can't be sure with what you don't know.  I looked at Oklahoma and Nebraska's common opponents.   OU goes 4 - 1, NU goes 3 - 1.  Not counting the road game against KU for OU, there was a 12 point difference.   That includes OU getting Northwestern at home and us going there.  We play their schedule,  there's a good chance we finish with the same record.   

Mississippi State is a tough team down there.  They beat 2 NCAA tournament teams, there.  Bama and Mizzou.   It's not like we shouldn't be given consideration.   I still think Miles is a good coach.  If he can keep the players and coaches, we have a good shot to dance next year.

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Our metrics were poor because we just didn't have chances.  Someone called me out earlier about guarantees.  You can't be sure with what you don't know.  I looked at Oklahoma and Nebraska's common opponents.   OU goes 4 - 1, NU goes 3 - 1.  Not counting the road game against KU for OU, there was a 12 point difference.   That includes OU getting Northwestern at home and us going there.  We play their schedule,  there's a good chance we finish with the same record.   

Mississippi State is a tough team down there.  They beat 2 NCAA tournament teams, there.  Bama and Mizzou.   It's not like we shouldn't be given consideration.   I still think Miles is a good coach.  If he can keep the players and coaches, we have a good shot to dance next year.

While the conference slate didn't give us very many chances.....it's not like we took very good advantage of the ones we did have.

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

We had chances. We just didn’t capitalize. After the Miss St loss we finished 4-10 against top 100 RPI teams this year.  We didn’t have as many chances as some other teams but our record against very good/good teams was not good. 

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

So we're on the verge of seeing all 16 home teams win the first-round NIT games. Were they all seeded correctly, then? Or does Washington's home victory as a No. 5 seed indicate the most important factor was the site? Discuss.

That's more brain power than I want to use thinking about the NIT.

8 hours ago, jayschool said:

So we're on the verge of seeing all 16 home teams win the first-round NIT games. Were they all seeded correctly, then? Or does Washington's home victory as a No. 5 seed indicate the most important factor was the site? Discuss.

Said it before in this thread, we win big at home against that team.  The 300 or so fans didn't make it a festive atmosphere.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Better year (slightly) than anticipated. It just appears worse this morning because we all sat around for two weeks pondering two losses. Let us hope Jordy does some work this summer or we get a transfer "big". Oh, and that we don't have too much attrition. 

Whatever Jordy did last summer....yeah, he shouldn't do that again.