Postseason Tourney Talk

Were I king of the NCAA selection committee, I would allow for guaranteed spots for only the top 24 conferences (as judged by RPI or some other measure). A team in a conference in the lower tier would have to earn its way to the tournament throughout the course of the regular season. UMBC, champion of the 23rd best conference and with a 100+ RPI, would have made the tournament. If you're in a lower-tiered conference and win it, you'd be thrown in the general potential at-large pool.

Bucknell won the 27th-ranked conference (the Patriot League), and with an 80ish RPI, would have been left out. Would they be missed?

There are eight teams like that, and that means that eight better teams would have been in, making for an even more interesting tournament.

1. Radford (Big South) RPI 128 -> MTSU RPI 33
  2. Wright State (Horizon) RPI 99 -> USC RPI 34
  3. Bucknell (Patriot) RPI 80 -> Louisville RPI 38
  4. LIU Brooklyn (Northeast) RPI 232 -> W. Kentucky RPI 39
  5. Stephen F. Austin (Southland) RPI 104 -> St. Mary's RPI 40
  6. Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun) RPI 101 -> Boise State RPI 50
  7. NC Central (MEAC) RPI 279 -> Temple RPI 52
  8. Texas Southern (SWAC) 272 -> Nebraska RPI 56

Edited by jayschool

Here's an interesting look at Power 6 performance:

Power 6 Conference games:

1. Big Ten: 8-3 (73%)

2. Big 12: 12-6 (67%)

3. Big East: 7-5 (58%)

4. ACC: 12-9 (57%)

5. SEC: 8-8 (50%)

6. Pac-12: 0-3 (0%)

If you look at only the Power 6 vs. Power 6 matchups (i.e. "P6/P6 Challenge"), here's what we get:

1. Big 12: 7-3 (70%)

2. Big Ten: 3-2 (60%)

3. ACC: 7-7 (50%)

4. Big East: 5-5 (50%)

5. SEC: 3-7 (30%)

6. Pac-12: 0-1 (0%)

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

Were I king of the NCAA selection committee, I would allow for guaranteed spots for only the top 24 conferences (as judged by RPI or some other measure). A team in a conference in the lower tier would have to earn its way to the tournament throughout the course of the regular season. UMBC, champion of the 23rd best conference and with a 100+ RPI, would have made the tournament. If you're in a lower-tiered conference and win it, you'd be thrown in the general potential at-large pool.

Bucknell won the 27th-ranked conference (the Patriot League), and with an 80ish RPI, would have been left out. Would they be missed?

There are eight teams like that, and that means that eight better teams would have been in, making for an even more interesting tournament.

1. Radford (Big South) RPI 128 -> MTSU RPI 33
  2. Wright State (Horizon) RPI 99 -> USC RPI 34
  3. Bucknell (Patriot) RPI 80 -> Louisville RPI 38
  4. LIU Brooklyn (Northeast) RPI 232 -> W. Kentucky RPI 39
  5. Stephen F. Austin (Southland) RPI 104 -> St. Mary's RPI 40
  6. Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun) RPI 101 -> Boise State RPI 50
  7. NC Central (MEAC) RPI 279 -> Temple RPI 52
  8. Texas Southern (SWAC) 272 -> Nebraska RPI 56

I would rather the teams on the right get kicked to the curb than eliminate the best part of basketball....Survive and advance.

At the end of the year all 16 teams listed above knew exactly what they needed to do to get in the NCAA tourney...win their respective conference tournament....

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

I would rather the teams on the right get kicked to the curb than eliminate the best part of basketball....Survive and advance.

At the end of the year all 16 teams listed above knew exactly what they needed to do to get in the NCAA tourney...win their respective conference tournament....

That's certainly a good point, but I would argue that "relegation" would incentivize teams in these conferences to improve their play or move to a lower division. Your point is valid, though, and it is exciting to see a team and it fans go crazy because they made the Dance, even if they have no real chance of ever winning a game (as I noted earlier, UMBC's miracle still would have happened in this system).

Bottom line, nobody really cares what I think. Just tossing out an idea.

37 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Bucknell has a win over Kansas, which I witnessed and Lehigh beat Duke so I think the Patriot League belongs.  

Maybe so, but the idea that EVERY SINGLE CONFERENCE gets a bid EVERY SINGLE YEAR doesn't incentivize those schools in those under-performing conferences to get better. Whether it's two conferences, eight conferences or somewhere in between, I think "relegation" is not a bad idea to pursue, thus opening the tourney to more teams with a legitimate chance of winning a game or two. Maybe it's simply putting a ceiling on how high a team's SOR/KPI/RPI/BPI can be to compete in the tournament: nobody above 150, for example, which would have gotten rid of the three lowest-rated teams.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Maybe so, but the idea that EVERY SINGLE CONFERENCE gets a bid EVERY SINGLE YEAR doesn't incentivize those schools in those under-performing conferences to get better. Whether it's two conferences, eight conferences or somewhere in between, I think "relegation" is not a bad idea to pursue, thus opening the tourney to more teams with a legitimate chance of winning a game or two. Maybe it's simply putting a ceiling on how high a team's SOR/KPI/RPI/BPI can be to compete in the tournament: nobody above 150, for example, which would have gotten rid of the three lowest-rated teams.

I asked in another thread was this the NCAA's way of getting rid of certain conferences?

After this year no one will schedule any school from the SWAC, MEAC, ETC...  and they will either just play each other more and hope to make enough money to keep their athletic programs above water.  Or just dry up and blow away.  Most these smaller conferences need  us to play them for money games to make their budgets.

I feel like that there will most likely be a DI, like two or three sub DI's, then DII and then DIII, before this all settles.  Then it will be just the top conferences playng for the title just like football or any of the other sports in the NCAA.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Silverbacked1

Leave it as is.

There always have been and always will be middling teams on the bubble.   That will not change whether its a 68 team or 128 team tourney.   Someone is always going to be upset.   Adding a few other bubble teams in favor of Texas Southern and Norfolk State (or whoever) isn't going to change much.

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

In theses small conferences winning their league is no guarantee of an NCAA invitation, they also must win the conference tournament.  Personally, I think those schools should be placed as 15 and 16 seeds and use the Dayton games as play ins for the Power Conference schools who finish 7th or 8th in their leagues.

24 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

In theses small conferences winning their league is no guarantee of an NCAA invitation, they also must win the conference tournament.  Personally, I think those schools should be placed as 15 and 16 seeds and use the Dayton games as play ins for the Power Conference schools who finish 7th or 8th in their leagues.

Or 4th.... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I do find it a little funny that the worst 2 power conferences are represented in the NIT championship.

Is that because the #7 Big Ten team is better than the deep #10 ACC, #7 Big East, or #8 SEC teams?

As you are probably well aware absolutely no one is going to care. ESPN will do its part try and pump up the interest but by and no large no one cares. If there was any correlation between doing well in the NIT and the following year success it would likely garner a bit more respect.