This is the Beginning...

WRONG.  Joe Lunardi was not right.  Get outta here with that crap.  The way this all played out was wrong.  Period.  The seed we got in the NIT was wrong.

We think it was wrong but the only opinion that matters is the selection committees and they don't think we were close to getting in.

21 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Take us out of the conversation and they were dead wrong on several other teams just to get all the $EC and Big 12 schools in.

USC was screwed. OU, ASU, & Syracuse we’re gifted.

The NCAA selection is always crap when it comes to the bubble, just looks worse this year because we had a dog that was in the fight(and apparently was beat to crap).

This opinion won’t be liked in here, but here goes...

IMO, the most optimistic fans in here are exaggerating the improvement we made throughout the season. While yes, we did improve some, as most teams do, I think the schedule is the main explanation. A few points to back my case:

1. Early in the season, we beat a tough Minnesota team at home.

2. That same week, we nearly beat Kansas at home.

3. That same week, we outplayed and nearly beat Creighton in Omaha.

4. Around that same time, we beat a decent Boston College team at home by double digits.

5. During our stretch of “playing better basketball”, we had wins at Northwestern and Wisconsin and at home against Maryland, Penn State, and Michigan. We also needed a miracle to win at home against Illinois.

To me, the results from points 1-4 point to a similar team as the one from point 5. I think the reasons people use to justify our “vast improvement” are these:

1. We played terribly against St. John’s

2. We lost to UCF

3. We went 13-5 in conference

I agree that if we played at St. John’s today, we’d probably fare better than we did in November. But we still might easily lose that game. We may easily lose at UCF today as well when you consider Tacko Fall’s presence. And our conference record was helped by the light schedule we drew.

What’s my point in all of this? That the people expecting us to be a consistently ranked team next year and a shoe-in for the dance are getting ahead of themselves, IMO. Because if we replayed our entire schedule starting today, I’m not so sure it’d have gone much differently. I like that we (should) return the core of our production. I do like our chances of making the tournament, but would not be surprised if we didn’t. And in that case, Tim would have to go. This program’s ceiling is not the NIT.

13 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

This opinion won’t be liked in here, but here goes...

IMO, the most optimistic fans in here are exaggerating the improvement we made throughout the season. While yes, we did improve some, as most teams do, I think the schedule is the main explanation. A few points to back my case:

1. Early in the season, we beat a tough Minnesota team at home.

2. That same week, we nearly beat Kansas at home.

3. That same week, we outplayed and nearly beat Creighton in Omaha.

4. Around that same time, we beat a decent Boston College team at home by double digits.

5. During our stretch of “playing better basketball”, we had wins at Northwestern and Wisconsin and at home against Maryland, Penn State, and Michigan. We also needed a miracle to win at home against Illinois.

To me, the results from points 1-4 point to a similar team as the one from point 5. I think the reasons people use to justify our “vast improvement” are these:

1. We played terribly against St. John’s

2. We lost to UCF

3. We went 13-5 in conference

I agree that if we played at St. John’s today, we’d probably fare better than we did in November. But we still might easily lose that game. We may easily lose at UCF today as well when you consider Tacko Fall’s presence. And our conference record was helped by the light schedule we drew.

What’s my point in all of this? That the people expecting us to be a consistently ranked team next year and a shoe-in for the dance are getting ahead of themselves, IMO. Because if we replayed our entire schedule starting today, I’m not so sure it’d have gone much differently. I like that we (should) return the core of our production. I do like our chances of making the tournament, but would not be surprised if we didn’t. And in that case, Tim would have to go. This program’s ceiling is not the NIT.

I had to reread the comments in this thread to be sure, but nobody mentioned vast improvements or expecting to be ranked next year. (But maybe you're pulling that from the vibes across the entire board?)

I think the key is continuity. It's something we've been lacking for over a decade.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I had to reread the comments in this thread to be sure, but nobody mentioned vast improvements or expecting to be ranked next year. (But maybe you're pulling that from the vibes across the entire board?)

I think the key is continuity. It's something we've been lacking for over a decade.

Yeah, I'm just basing it on the general vibe of the board. I've definitely seen people say we'll be a consistently ranked team next year, too. I've felt that way at times as well, so maybe my post was more directed towards my past opinions than anyone else's specifically haha.

I agree that the continuity and being able to start a season already knowing our identity should be helpful in getting off to a fast start. For now, I'm kind of expecting something like an 8 seed type of season, but if the balls bounce our way I could see something better than that, and if they don't, I could see another NIT bid. We'll see what happens with Palmer, Copeland, and Jordy. And we'll see how effective players like Allen, Nana, Thorir, and Xavier Johnson can be in replacing the lost production of Taylor and Gill.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

10 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Wow. It's as if Ray Price knew about me and Nebrasketball. I wish I knew how to quit you.

Heartaches by the number
Troubles by the score
Every day you love me less
Each day I love you more

Yes, I've got heartaches by the number
A love that I can't win
But the day that I stop counting
That's the day my world will end

Edited by jayschool