NIT bracket announcement

arliepro

22 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I will never understand why the same people that call the NIT meaningless will watch the Foster Farms or Holiday Bowl like it is the Super Bowl.

It is simple. 

1. I find the Fosters Farm bowl meaningless as well

2. Can you name the last years NIT champions without looking it up?  Even if you can, the majority can't.

3. The tournament pretty much butt raped us, and now like someone posted above we have to go on 3 road games just to make the Semifinals to prove what.  Every game is a lose/lose situation.

Now with that said, do you think winning the NIT is going to make Joe Lunardi or Jerry Palm say "Damn maybe we should of took Nebraska?"  No, because nobody gives a ****.  So winning it will prove who wrong exactly?  It sure as hell isn't going to be those two, and the committee could care less as well.

I'm done with my rant, because Miles has already said he is going to have his guys ready.  I will still watch and root for them, but damn man I am irate about where they are at.  If they were a 1 or 2 seed, I'd be upset.  No way to the level I am right now though!

Last year, the road teams in the NIT went 8-7 in the first round of the tournament. Houston lost its game as the designated home team, but the game was played on a neutral court.

Road teams went 5-3 in the second round, and they went 2-2 in the quarterfinals.

So, in 27 games played on one team's home court, the visiting team won 15 and lost 12.

Last year, Georgia Tech made it to New York as a No. 6 seed. In the first round, No. 3 seed Indiana declined to host an NIT game because it would "devalue" Assembly Hall, so Georgia Tech beat the Hoosiers in Atlanta. GT hosted the second round as well because No. 7 seed Belmont opened by winning at Georgia. Tech finally went on the road for the third round, beating No. 5 seed Mississippi, who had won two road games before succumbing in the third road game.

TCU made it to New York as a No. 4 seed, winning two games at home and one on the road. UCF made it as a No. 4 seed, winning two games at home and one on the road. And Bakersfield made it to New York as a No. 8 seed, winning three straight road games at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 6.

Let's go to New York.

Edited by jayschool

holy sh*t, guys. I had to go to the Lied before the NIT brackets were announced, but am I understanding we got like, a 7 seed or some sh*t like that? 

yikes, I wouldn't blame them for just junking this frigging insult. I'll support 'em whatever, but man, I'd have to be tempted as a player to just tell them to eat my nads. 

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

I see no benefit of grinding out wins that mean absolutely nothing.  All on the road mind you.  Me personally would like to make sure our players don't get injured.  Like my attitude or not, I think winning the NIT means jack diddily!  I do however think this team should use the chip on their shoulder for next year!

I don't understand the boycott or this isn't worth it attitude. Miles is a D1 coach and these are D1 players and you don't get there by not being competitive.  "Grinding out wins that mean absolutely nothing." To me that attitude means no wins except the finals mean anything in the end. Again, I'm old school and not looking at this as players using it as a stepping stone to get to some professional league so maybe I don't get it or maybe I'm way off track. To me the benefit is they get to play a game they love to play in a competitive situation. I understand that it will be harder to get yourself in the right mindset to play this game than a first-round NCAA game. But if we weren't in the NIT the players would still be playing but back in Lincoln, so there is no drastic increase in chances to get injured.

This is going to be the first year I don't fill out a bracket since I was in junior high. Right now I'm bitter, depressed and just don't care a lick about the NCAA's. I'm sure I will watch some games but I'm also sure it will be the fewest since maybe those junior high days again. Competitors want to compete and if the team is willing to pout like some of us fat old men on this board, then they will struggle next year as well when it comes to hard times when they really need to suck it up and compete. I'm sure they are pissed and depressed tonight but competitors will get up tomorrow and begin the process to compete against Mississippi State. This group of guys really seem to like each other and play for each other. The ball will be thrown up and the players will need to count on their teammates and their teammates will be counting on them. You go out and win as many games as you can one game at a time because god damn it, that's what you do when you are a competitive athlete whether it's the NCAA the NIT or a pickup game at the rec.

Edited by Dean Smith

1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't understand the boycott or this isn't worth it attitude. Miles is a D1 coach and these are D1 players and you don't get there by not being competitive.  Again, I'm old school and not looking at this as players using it as a stepping stone to get to some professional league so maybe I don't get it or maybe I'm way off track. To me the benefit is they get to play a game they love to play in a competitive situation. I understand that it will be harder to get yourself in the right mindset to play this game than a first-round NCAA game. But if we weren't in the NIT the players would still be playing but back in Lincoln, so there is no drastic increase in chances to get injured.

This is going to be the first year I don't fill out a bracket since I was in junior high. Right now I'm bitter, depressed and just don't care a lick about the NCAA's. I'm sure I will watch some games but I'm also sure it will be the fewest since maybe those junior high days again. Competitors want to compete and if the team is willing to pout like some of us fat old men on this board, then they will struggle next year as well when it comes to hard times when they really need to suck it up and compete. I'm sure they are pissed and depressed tonight but competitors will get up tomorrow and begin the process to compete against Mississippi State. This group of guys really seem to like each other and play for each other. The ball will be thrown up and the players will need to count on their teammates and their teammates will be counting on them. You go out and win as many games as you can one game at a time because god damn it, that's what you do when you are a competitive athlete whether it's the NCAA the NIT or a pickup game at the rec.

THIS....

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

Of the 12 teams seeded below Nebraska in the 32-team NIT, 11 had to be invited because they won their regular season conference championship:

1. Wagner won the NEC regular season but lost in the tournament;
  2. Hampton won the MEAC but lost in the tournament;
  3. SE Louisiana won the Southland;
  4. UNC Asheville won the Big South;
  5. Northern Kentucky won the Horizon;
  6. Florida Gulf Coast won the Atlantic Sun;
  7. Harvard won the Ivy;
  8. UC-Davis won the Big West;
  9. Louisiana won the Sun Belt;
  10. Vermont won the America East; and
  11. Rider won the MAAC.

BYU DID NOT win the WCC, so they are the only team seeded below Nebraska not to earn an auto bid into the NIT.

So we were definitely on the NIT bubble.

Not to mention Georgia turned down a bid.  We might have been the last team in!  ?

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Wow.  When you think about it.  Just wow.  We really were a bubble team.  IN THE NIT.  That is just ridiculous.  I would have probably broken something if we had missed the NIT.

If one were to look back on my Twitter you can see I was going down that road, and beginning to become convinced of just that inconceivable horror. Omg. 

Edited by HolyBobpilgrimage

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is the NIT selection criteria the same as the NCAA?

https://www.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa/release/sites/default/files/files/NIT_Principles_Procedures.pdf

Based on the above, we may have had one committee member who didn't even have us "in" and that could effect where we were seeded.  In addition, geography is taken into consideration. which might explain why a Stanford could be a 3 seed and we could be a 5 seed. 

Here's the Q1 and Q2 records of the NIT teams - looks like they basically looked at Q1 + Q2 wins and seeded off that for the P5 teams. Non-P5 teams were kind of slid in there somewhere, not sure exactly how they picked where to place them - it may have been mostly about where they could create interesting matchups - Temple/PSU, Boise/Washington, Louisiana/LSU, etc.

It looks like if you had a lot of overall losses (LSU, Okla St) you were punished a couple of seed lines.

And Notre Dame had the injury situation, so they're an outlier.

Otherwise it pretty closely follows the number of Q1 + Q2 wins you had as a P5 team. 

#1 seeds

• Notre Dame 2-9 / 5-2
  • USC 4-6 / 5-4
  • Baylor 4-12 / 3-1
  • St Mary’s 2-1 / 2-2

#2 seeds

• Louisville 3-10 / 2-3
  • Maruqette 3-8 / 5-3
  • Oklahoma St 5-12 / 3-2
  • Utah 3-6 / 3-4

#3 seeds

• Oregon 3-5 / 5-4
  • Stanford 2-10 / 6-1
  • Mid Tenn 2-3 / 3-1
  • LSU 6-5 / 3-7

#4 seeds

• Penn St 3-8 / 2-2
  • W Kentucky 1-2 / 3-3
  • Boise St 2-3 / 5-2
  • Missi St 2-8 / 4-2

#5 seeds

• Temple 3-7 / 4-4
  • Boston Coll 2-13 / 3-2
  • Washington 3-5 / 2-4
  • NU 1-6 / 2-3

#6 seeds

• Rider 0-2 / 1-2
  • BYU 1-5 / 2-1
  • Vermont 0-4 / 2-1
  • Louisiana 0-1 / 1-2

Edited by throwback

38 minutes ago, throwback said:

Here's the Q1 and Q2 records of the NIT teams - looks like they basically looked at Q1 + Q2 wins and seeded off that for the P5 teams. Non-P5 teams were kind of slid in there somewhere, not sure exactly how they picked where to place them - it may have been mostly about where they could create interesting matchups - Temple/PSU, Boise/Washington, Louisiana/LSU, etc.

It looks like if you had a lot of overall losses (LSU, Okla St) you were punished a couple of seed lines.

And Notre Dame had the injury situation, so they're an outlier.

Otherwise it pretty closely follows the number of Q1 + Q2 wins you had as a P5 team. 

#1 seeds

• Notre Dame 2-9 / 5-2
  • USC 4-6 / 5-4
  • Baylor 4-12 / 3-1
  • St Mary’s 2-1 / 2-2

#2 seeds

• Louisville 3-10 / 2-3
  • Maruqette 3-8 / 5-3
  • Oklahoma St 5-12 / 3-2
  • Utah 3-6 / 3-4

#3 seeds

• Oregon 3-5 / 5-4
  • Stanford 2-10 / 6-1
  • Mid Tenn 2-3 / 3-1
  • LSU 6-5 / 3-7

#4 seeds

• Penn St 3-8 / 2-2
  • W Kentucky 1-2 / 3-3
  • Boise St 2-3 / 5-2
  • Missi St 2-8 / 4-2

#5 seeds

• Temple 3-7 / 4-4
  • Boston Coll 2-13 / 3-2
  • Washington 3-5 / 2-4
  • NU 1-6 / 2-3

#6 seeds

• Rider 0-2 / 1-2
  • BYU 1-5 / 2-1
  • Vermont 0-4 / 2-1
  • Louisiana 0-1 / 1-2

They basically seeded off the KPI metric.

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The best thing going for the women's team is that they don't have Bruce Rasmussen lobbying for them.