Coach Miles

Bottom line:  the 2 best seasons in 2 decades have happened under Miles' tenure, and this regular season wasn't a "hot streak."  We are just a good team.  That hasn't happened in 20 years.  If we keep our core, we're going to be ranked throughout next season.  There was nothing fluky about this year, and the coaching philosophy changes were notably better.  That's a really, really big deal.  

God I hope there is no attrition.  We could be downright scary next season.  

11 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Bottom line:  the 2 best seasons in 2 decades have happened under Miles' tenure, and this regular season wasn't a "hot streak."  We are just a good team.  That hasn't happened in 20 years.  If we keep our core, we're going to be ranked throughout next season.  There was nothing fluky about this year, and the coaching philosophy changes were notably better.  That's a really, really big deal.  

God I hope there is no attrition.  We could be downright scary next season.  

Agree, IF everyone stays and improves this could be a scary team.

22 minutes ago, colhusker said:

If not this is basically the biggest selling point of Miles: he's always bringing in Jimmys and Joes to replace the guys who have left. If we were one day to actually start recruiting one and dones we'd still have to replace those guys too.

Otherwise we're either going to the NCAA tournament where we have a chance at getting the 2nd most wins in school history or going to the NIT tourney where we'll host the first game and be almost guaranteed to get to at least 23 wins.

Moos knows what to do.  He'll give Miles his extension, and then Miles can go out and recruit on more even playing field.  4 years, 6 years, I don't know.  I'd think it should be at least 4 years.  If Miles can win the locker room this off season, and keep the core together, look out for the Huskers next year.

I just saw a list today of the 20 highest paid basketball coaches, and what really lept off the page at me was Chris Holtmann came in at like #3 or #4 with just over $7 million a year.

That is a whole lot of cheddar for a college hoops coach!

Here's the link:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Miles is #33 in the country, 8th in the B1G.

5 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Who's saying Miles will be or should be let go? Three people on Twitter? Two people on a message board? 

There is no momentum for this. 

It's a bunch of the usual suspects on another message board that won't let it go. There's nothing to it.

unlikely the AD listens to a bunch of adolescent rage-aholics on the internet. Fortunately. 

Early on I predicted a full turn would take 7 years for an above-average coach. I want Timmeh to get that 7th and he pretty much will now. 

We started the year with a team of strangers on the court (to us, obviously). This coaching job can't be underestimated: Miles probably did his best job this season. 

The last loss always sting--even in great seasons. How many of us still remember Xavier with a surge of stomach acid and bile? And that was the best team this school ever put on the floor. But we also know how great they were, and that's what time does. it restores perspective. It will with this season, too, even if we don't make the tourney (and I don't think that we will, tbh). 

Still a damned special year. For someone like me, who is largely shut in for medical reasons and wildly isolated from social life, these kind of seasons can add a year to one's life. 

I'll take it. Happily.

14 minutes ago, swoof said:

It's a bunch of the usual suspects on another message board that won't let it go. There's nothing to it.

The same crowd that said MR needed more time and that Tanner Lee would end up being the best QB to ever play at Nebraska. Tanner will be much better than "Turnover Tommy".

Don't give those fools the time of day. They are irrelevant as is their opinion. 

57 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Who's saying Miles will be or should be let go? Three people on Twitter? Two people on a message board? 

There is no momentum for this. 

Uh... They were just discussing this on 1620 the other day. They came to a similar conclusion I have - but there's enough talk out there about it that they brought it up from hearing from fans. And I've seen speculation many other places and by many more than you suggest. 

Edited by basketballjones

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Uh... They were just discussing this on 1620 the other day. They came to a similar conclusion I have - but there's enough talk out there about it that they brought it up from hearing from fans. And I've seen speculation many other places and by many more than you suggest. 

Did they start their call to the show with - "Hi this is Husker/Cubs from (fill in blank) it's NCAA or Bust fire Miles!"

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

Agreed, and that could be the case even if EVERYONE doesn't stay.  There are some guys we can afford to lose.  Hell, you could even talk me into Copeland leaving and this being a very good team next year.  I don't think we could afford to lose both Cope and Palmer though.  People will point to us returning the bulk of our team in 2015 but the fact is...that team wasn't as talented and they were dealing with a few issues within the program.  Pitchford probably wasn't the best teammate(JMO) and Petteway was dealing with family issues that found its way on the court for him.  And I don't blame him for that.  If this core can stay together we should be in the preseason top 25 or close and expected to be a shoe in for the dance.