Coach Miles

On 3/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, basketballjones said:

1620 basically discussed the meeting with Moos for 47 minutes today. And there's constant talk about his contract being extended. All of those things are code for whether we're going to keep him around or not. 

They talked about it because there was nothing else to talk about. Coaches on the hot seat brings listeners. Can spend a lot of time speculating about scenarios and taking calls from listeners to fuel the fire.

14 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

All of this, and this is why I feel the way I feel ... would suck to extend and then have to fire (like it seems like we've done with football coach after football coach the last few times). If it was true Eichorst wasn't "allowed" to fire Miles last year due to not being allowed to make any more major coaching changes for the time being (a rumor that had been going around), then maybe Bounds and Green already had a sentiment about Miles that they have passed on to Moos. I think it's possible we are slow playing Miles thinking if he leaves for elsewhere, he leaves ... or maybe Moos is seeing what he might be able to work in terms of candidates he'd like to ideally hire if necessary.

@swmckewon won't get this since you brought up football coaches.

I have not heard anyone in the current athletic administration say that Coach Miles is on the hot seat.  Does anyone have a quote from anyone that matters, saying that he is on a hot seat?  Just wondering if there is a factual stimuli that is causing this discussion, or if some random person decided to start a rumor. 

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have not heard anyone in the current athletic administration say that Coach Miles is on the hot seat.  Does anyone have a quote from anyone that matters, saying that he is on a hot seat?  Just wondering if there is a factual stimuli that is causing this discussion, or if some random person decided to start a rumor. 

The fact that he only has 2 years left on his contract and hasn't received an extension yet, shows there is at least some indecision. The AD isn't going to come out and say "Hey, this dude might get fired soon". There is also a good reason for that- if Moos doesn't go out and get a home run coach (assuming he's looking), he doesn't need Miles thinking/knowing he was super close to being canned. 

51 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

The fact that he only has 2 years left on his contract and hasn't received an extension yet, shows there is at least some indecision. The AD isn't going to come out and say "Hey, this dude might get fired soon". There is also a good reason for that- if Moos doesn't go out and get a home run coach (assuming he's looking), he doesn't need Miles thinking/knowing he was super close to being canned. 

So you are saying it is just conjecture, no known quote or documentation. 

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

So you are saying it is just conjecture, no known quote or documentation. 

Conjecture, but that's how these things work in college athletics. The fact that there hasn't been a signed extension speaks to the possibility that Miles might not return. We're not gonna hear a definite until Moos has made his decision. 

There is obviously no quote from anyone in the athletic department but you can easily see why there is speculation from the local media:

Coaching record at Nebraska = 97 - 97 (.500)

only 2 winning seasons at Nebraska

0 - 1 in NCAA tournament

0-1 in NIT tournament

Only 46 - 62 in Conference games (.426)

Finished 10th place or lower in conference in 4 of his 6 seasons

If you were the AD, what would you do?  Looking at the resume, I'd have to question whether or not he is the coach to take us to where we want to go or not. Based on his numbers, I'd have to say no.  But most likely, he will get a contract extension.  But for people to think he's not on the hot seat aren't looking at the big picture.

17 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If you can find me a quote where an Athletic Director or anybody else within the athletic department has said a coach was/is on the hot seat I would love to see it. 

It's usually a proverbial "Vote of Confidence." Which means they're *not* confident in the coach, often.

59 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

There is obviously no quote from anyone in the athletic department but you can easily see why there is speculation from the local media:

0 - 1 in NCAA tournament

0-1 in NIT tournament

But he's been able to do this with much more upgraded talent!

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

0 - 1 in NCAA tournament

0-1 in NIT tournament

If you were the AD, what would you do?  Looking at the resume, I'd have to question whether or not he is the coach to take us to where we want to go or not. Based on his numbers, I'd have to say no.  But most likely, he will get a contract extension.  But for people to think he's not on the hot seat aren't looking at the big picture.

0-6 against an in state rival.

Outside of Moos coming out and extending Miles for 5 years and saying he will not fire Miles in that timeframe or Miles reaching the NCAA tournament the hot seat discussion will naturally continue.  An extension doesn't change that.  I don't think there are many that feel Miles is safe even with an extension.  They could be wrong and maybe Moos absolutely loves Miles but the only way to shut down that kind of talk is to get back to dancing and even then people will expect to finally win a game

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

0 - 1 in NCAA tournament

0-1 in NIT tournament

I would hope the AD looks at where the program was when he took over which is a far cry from where it is now.  Recruiting has improved, talent is much better, fans are showing up (there were days at the Bob the place was like a Morgue).  That in state rival caught us so far down they didn't have to work to hard.  We will see what happens going forward.  As for the local media's speculation,  in a lot of ways is merely click bait.  

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I would hope the AD looks at where the program was when he took over which is a far cry from where it is now.  Recruiting has improved, talent is much better, fans are showing up (there were days at the Bob the place was like a Morgue).  That in state rival caught us so far down they didn't have to work to hard.  We will see what happens going forward.  As for the local media's speculation,  in a lot of ways is merely click bait.  

I would hope Moos doesn't put much stock in the Miles vs Sadler comparison.  Miles was the beneficiary of a new practice facility, brand new arena, and is getting paid close to 1.5 million more than Sadler did.  Doc was definitely at a disadvantage compared to his peers when it came to resources.  Miles, not so much.  Sure, we are better off with Miles at the helm but how much of that is due to Tim Miles compared to Nebraska basketball finally coming to age in the arms race? 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I would hope Moos doesn't put much stock in the Miles vs Sadler comparison.  Miles was the beneficiary of a new practice facility, brand new arena, and is getting paid close to 1.5 million more than Sadler did.  Doc was definitely at a disadvantage compared to his peers when it came to resources.  Miles, not so much.  Sure, we are better off with Miles at the helm but how much of that is due to Tim Miles compared to Nebraska basketball finally coming to age in the arms race? 

On paper the 6 years before Miles got here and the 6 years after Miles got here are not drastically different. I would say talent and attendance are the two biggest differences, but like you said, how much of that can be attributed to PBA & Hendricks? 

8 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

On paper the 6 years before Miles got here and the 6 years after Miles got here are not drastically different. I would say talent and attendance are the two biggest differences, but like you said, how much of that can be attributed to PBA & Hendricks? 

In Miles first year we averaged just over 10K at the Bob.  Doc's last year we averaged around 300 less fans per game compared to Miles first year.  I don't think you can contribute Husker fans filling up PBA as a sign of Miles doing a great job.  I would say it has more to do with the allure of a new facility in a pretty cool area of town.  Barring the program turning in Rutgers like seasons I think fans will continue to show up regardless of who is leading the program. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Making the dance is a big deal...but when you make it on the bubble like we did a few years ago, you are at the whims of the committee and could have just as easily missed it.

Doc had Nebraska on the bubble with less talent (and is the bump in "better" talent, due to Miles or to the facilities?)

To me, Doc might be the better coach, but to compare them as recruiters is tough, because they are playing with a totally different hand that they were dealt.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

This is probably a good time to note that Illinois fired it’s coach several years ago.  That same coach is now “deep” into the Tournament with another team.  Illinois, meanwhile, is . . . not doing as well.

Yep, Illinois paying a price for greed.

Weber had them in the NCAA tourney 6 out of 9 years there, including advancing beyond their opening round game 4 out of 6 trips.

He's taken KSU to the dance 4 of 6 seasons and now has them poised for a trip to the Final 4.

Meanwhile, Illinois ...

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yep, Illinois paying a price for greed.

Weber had them in the NCAA tourney 6 out of 9 years there, including advancing beyond their opening round game 4 out of 6 trips.

He's taken KSU to the dance 4 of 6 seasons and now has them poised for a trip to the Final 4.

Meanwhile, Illinois ...

Just goes to show, this is guy is a tough act to follow. 

C (USATSI)

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

This is probably a good time to note that Illinois fired it’s coach several years ago.  That same coach is now “deep” into the Tournament with another team.  Illinois, meanwhile, is . . . not doing as well.

Bruce Weber has a sneaky great resume. Coach of the year at all 3 stops and sweet 16 at all 3 stops.