Coach Miles

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I just saw a list today of the 20 highest paid basketball coaches, and what really lept off the page at me was Chris Holtmann came in at like #3 or #4 with just over $7 million a year.

That is a whole lot of cheddar for a college hoops coach!

Here's the link:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Miles is #33 in the country, 8th in the B1G.

Okay, so I was wrong about Holtmann:  http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/02/no_chris_holtmann_is_not_the_t.html

53 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Agreed, and that could be the case even if EVERYONE doesn't stay.  There are some guys we can afford to lose.  Hell, you could even talk me into Copeland leaving and this being a very good team next year.  I don't think we could afford to lose both Cope and Palmer though.  People will point to us returning the bulk of our team in 2015 but the fact is...that team wasn't as talented and they were dealing with a few issues within the program.  Pitchford probably wasn't the best teammate(JMO) and Petteway was dealing with family issues that found its way on the court for him.  And I don't blame him for that.  If this core can stay together we should be in the preseason top 25 or close and expected to be a shoe in for the dance. 

Just because everyone returns (except the seniors) doesn't automatically mean we will be scary good.  On paper, it would have the potential to be the best Nebraska Basketball team this school has ever had. But of course, we did say the same thing back in 2015 and we had a horrible season.  I'm sure Northwestern was saying the same thing going into this year after their NCAA appearance and pretty much returned everyone.  Team chemistry and dynamics change every year even with a lot of the same players.  Palmer could look to showcase his NBA talents more.  Players like Copeland/Roby could get tired of Palmer getting all the spotlight always on him.  Not saying those things will happen but things like that can creep into a locker room and totally disrupt a season as we saw a few years back. 

I hope everyone does return as we'll have as good of talent as anyone in the league next year.  But how that season will play out has yet to be written.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

I just saw a list today of the 20 highest paid basketball coaches, and what really lept off the page at me was Chris Holtmann came in at like #3 or #4 with just over $7 million a year.

That is a whole lot of cheddar for a college hoops coach!

Here's the link:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Miles is #33 in the country, 8th in the B1G.

Almost $4,000,000 was the buyout to be able to hire him. He is the #3 highest paid removing that lump sum.

EDIT - Sorry didn't read the last post before typing this ...

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

2 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Who's saying Miles will be or should be let go? Three people on Twitter? Two people on a message board? 

There is no momentum for this. 

I agree, there's no momentum. But I am in that camp. Thought it should have been done last year. We could have a much more difficult conference schedule next year, who knows? Miles may have missed his chance this year.  Certainly no guarantee the nucleus of this team will be back. Still have some season left I suppose, but I have been ready for a change for a while so I suppose I'm biased. I think we deserve a good strategist and Xs and Os coach. 6 years is long enough, especially when he had the worst 3 year run record-wise since the early 1950s.

35 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I agree, there's no momentum. But I am in that camp. Thought it should have been done last year. We could have a much more difficult conference schedule next year, who knows? Miles may have missed his chance this year.  Certainly no guarantee the nucleus of this team will be back. Still have some season left I suppose, but I have been ready for a change for a while so I suppose I'm biased. I think we deserve a good strategist and Xs and Os coach. 6 years is long enough, especially when he had the worst 3 year run record-wise since the early 1950s.

If you fire him,  who in their right mind, is going to come here?  You set the school record for conference wins in a season and it gets you a pink slip?  That sets the program back years.  Doc and Collier were regarded as a good X's and O's coach.  Who was not regarded as an X's and O's coach?  The most successful coach in school history, Nee. Miles gets the Jimmy's and Joe's.  

40 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Coupled with the fact that we reached the NCAA tournament for the first time in over 10 years, just had the second most wins in school history this year, and are a shot to reach the dance for the second time in 6 years.........

Look, you can make someone look as bad as you want by throwing out stats.  You can also make someone look as good as you want.  However, when you look at the overall picture, I think he has been pretty successful.  If you just focus on the negatives, you are never going to be satisfied with the basketball program here I am afraid.  For a program with little history, tradition, and success, to fire a guy who achieved the second most wins in school history would be devastating I think.  Money does not solve all problems..... 

:Whistling:   Miles isn't going anywhere - anyone who thinks so, or wishes so, is whistling in the dark. Imho, Moos is an Experienced, Respected, and yes, Crafty, AD who is not about to run off a coach who has assembled an exciting line-up of players and just produced one of the best MBB seasons in years.  Moos digs deeper into programs and looks into intangibles as well as tangibles  - he scouts Locker Rooms too, don't ya know. :wink:

Is Miles the Best coach in the B1G?  No!  Is Miles getting Better; Can he continue to get Better?  Yes! 

Can Moos, with his experience and ability help Miles to continue the Trend?    Stay-tuned!  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Somebody sure is a debbie downer type of person.

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

If you fire him,  who in their right mind, is going to come here?  You set the school record for conference wins in a season and it gets you a pink slip?  That sets the program back years.  Doc and Collier were regarded as a good X's and O's coach.  Who was not regarded as an X's and O's coach?  The most successful coach in school history, Nee. Miles gets the Jimmy's and Joe's.  

The most regular season wins in over 25 years and we want to fire the coach.  Unbelievable.

Coming from someone who was fine with him being let go last year....there is absolutely no way whatsoever that you can legitimately fire him now.

The lousy thing....as mentioned earlier....was the corner Eichorst painted us into.   No renewal the first year....that's fine.  Put's him on notice.   But then after the second year?   He needed to be fired or extended after last year.   Now Moos has to give him an extension otherwise it is recruiting suicide, regardless of what Moos thinks about him.   And if things fall apart next year...we have to fire him after just giving him an extension.  

Hoping beyond hope that the team stays together and we perform well next year otherwise it gets real ugly.

Disclaimer: All of this changes if we have massive roster turnover, especially from unexpected or unreasonable areas, and go 12-something next year. Basketballjones is not to be held liable for any of his comments or opinions. 

Exactly!

I like the potential for next year but we need to sustain momentum not having another losing record.

I don't think we are giving Moos enough credit for being independent and capable.  In my view, the only one Eichorst painted into a corner is Eichorst.  I don't believe Moos feels compelled to do anything Moos does not feel comfortable with or is not in the best interest of the program.  He has all the political capital he needs, having accomplished the job he was brought in to do, and administers an athletic budget sufficient to do pretty much what he likes.  In fact he is in a quite enviable position;  Other than Scott Frost he does not have any vested interest in any current coach; he didn't hire them, or the status of their program.  He is responsible for their programs only going forward.  Continue with what is successful; Fix what isn't.

8 hours ago, swoof said:

Moos's last basketball hire was Ernie Kent after Ernie was fired by Moos's successor at Oregon. Ernie's gotta be done at Wazzu after the Pac-12 tournament. I'll take my chances on a Miles extension.

Totally off-topic Swoof, but our soccer teams both crapped the bed yesterday.  Ouch.  Not a great way to start the year.  At least your boys were able to score a goal to make it interesting in the second half.

20 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Totally off-topic Swoof, but our soccer teams both crapped the bed yesterday.  Ouch.  Not a great way to start the year.  At least your boys were able to score a goal to make it interesting in the second half.

We screwed ourselves in the Dom trade with Orlando.

5 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Again, what was in the cupboard when he arrived?  Was he suppose to walk in and use our rich history in basketball to recruit 4 and 5 star kids.

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We screwed ourselves in the Dom trade with Orlando.

Dom would've walked in the offseason as a free agent anyways.  But yeah, I have to think that if SKC had held onto him through the end of the year we could've parted ways with Dwyer while hoisting a trophy. 

I'm intrigued by playing Salloi as a false 9.  Hopefully he gets some opportunities while Shelton is hurt, because Rubio sucks.  Thought the new Scottish left winger showed some promise too, although he kind of dribbles like a bull in a China shop.

9 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Dom would've walked in the offseason as a free agent anyways.  But yeah, I have to think that if SKC had held onto him through the end of the year we could've parted ways with Dwyer while hoisting a trophy. 

I'm intrigued by playing Salloi as a false 9.  Hopefully he gets some opportunities while Shelton is hurt, because Rubio sucks.  Thought the new Scottish left winger showed some promise too, although he kind of dribbles like a bull in a China shop.

100% agree on hoisting the cup.  Didn’t get to see the game last night, but we’re going to have to find some offense somewhere.  Let’s just hope it’s taking some time to gel.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Haha, yeah, it's going to be interesting with a new coach and new system. Our CBs are too old and slow to be playing the high line Gio likes and Adi and Valeri are a slow attacking pair. Hopefully Polo and Armentaros will get settled soon.