The Longest Day(s)

jimmykc

Well, I've slept on this and adjusted to the fact that we will probably end up on the NIT list despite finishing with 22 wins and finishing in fourth place in the prestigious Big 10. Will I be happy if we do well or win the NIT? The answer is.....NO! We have been there and done that. I can not shake the feeling that this team is one of the 68 best teams in the country and deserves to be in the only tournament which really matters. Since we are going to kick this around for the next nine days, I invite posters to use this thread to vent, describe ways we might make the cut for one of the "play in" games, show me how teams who are considered "locks" who are much worse than our team "deserve" to be included, or convince me that the NIT will be a great end to our year. Have at it so that we don't have a dozen threads making the same points to visit until selection Sunday finally comes. First question of the day: Will our team be one of those featured on national television sitting there expectantly so that the abject disappointment can be documented for all to see?

Edited by jimmykc

Tough decision on whether to have a Selection Sunday party. Do you have to plan one, if you're saying you deserve to be in? 

As for the next week+, I might torture myself watching midmajor tournaments and root for the favorites. The one way to be certain we don't make it is by having teams like Nevada, St. Mary's and MIddle Tennessee get at-large bids because some schmoe won their conference tournament. 

I personally believe that we can make the play-in game.  I think we did enough to do that.  However, we will need some results to go our way in the next week.  No upsets in conference tournaments.  Other bubble teams losing would be nice as well.

I think committee members will give us the benefit of the eye test.  Yes, I know the game yesterday didn’t do much for that, but Bruce has seen many more games than that.

I know that something has to be said about big wins.  I also think there is something to be said about bad losses.  When our only really bad loss was to an Illinois team on senior night.... that’s not too bad.

Brice has already said he is looking at the Minnesota game differently than most.  He also said that he is looking at the KU game he saw in person.  We were the better team in that one.

I also think there’s something to be said about the clean program we have.  In the current climate, that could give us some umph.  To go along with that, I think that the fact remains that they’ll sell tickets wherever we are playing.  $$$

Lastly, I love Bill Moos and know he doesn’t just talk to talk.  It is encouraging that he is going to bat for us and if he says he’s gotten positive feedback from the committee, then I’ll believe him in that.

Lastly lastly, the team hasn’t given up hope.  I’m not going to give up hope.  They know we deserve it.  I know we deserve it. I’m anxious, sad, and mad about yesterday and the next week.  It’s hard to be happy right now.  But I also have to look at what this team accomplished.  If we get left out, I’ll be disappointed, but when you look at the bigger picture, it’s hard to be disappointed.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Tough decision on whether to have a Selection Sunday party. Do you have to plan one, if you're saying you deserve to be in? 

As for the next week+, I might torture myself watching midmajor tournaments and root for the favorites. The one way to be certain we don't make it is by having teams like Nevada, St. Mary's and MIddle Tennessee get at-large bids because some schmoe won their conference tournament. 

Personally, I think that Moos is connected enough that if we have a selection Sunday watch party, it’ll be because we know we’re at least in Dayton.  If it’s just the team, it’s up in the air.

21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Well, I've slept on this and adjusted to the fact that we will probably end up on the NIT list despite finishing with 22 wins and finishing in fourth place in the prestigious Big 10. Will I be happy if we do well or win the NIT? The answer is.....NO! We have been there and done that. I can not shake the feeling that this team is one of the 68 best teams in the country and deserves to be in the only tournament which really matters. Since we are going to kick this around for the next nine days, I invite posters to use this thread to vent, describe ways we might make the cut for one of the "play in" games, show me how teams who are considered "locks" who are much worse than our team "deserve" to be included, or convince me that the NIT will be a great end to our year. Have at it so that we don't have a dozen threads making the same points to visit until selection Sunday finally comes. First question of the day: Will our team be one of those featured on national television sitting there expectantly so that the abject disappointment can be documented for all to see?

Short answer: NO. The National media doesn't like to remind people that Nebraska has a Basketball program.

Yes, I do plan to root for all of the favorites rather than the underdogs I usually like to see pull off a victory. And I have trouble seeing how Penn State steals the fifth Big 10 bid from us despite what the LJS implies this morning. In other words, when you shoot yourself in the foot, you still win the battle if your opponent shoots himself in the nuts. Just be sure to let me know who the favorites are so I don't have to look it up myself.

Edited by jimmykc

I will say Oklahoma is a team that has no business being in the tournament.   4 - 10 down the stretch, including a 23 point loss to another bubble team.  A 30 point loss to a top 2 seed.  OU beat them by 5 earlier in the year.  We lost to a top 4 seed by 19, but beat them by 20 earlier in the year.

Road records OU 2 - 9

NU 4 - 7

Neutral OU 3 - 1

NU 2 - 2

I would say that the "play-in game" concept was created for teams exactly like Nebraska and Oklahoma, teams that have contradictory resumes. In Nebraska's case, it's a team that achieved a great deal in its power conference, but its computer metrics aren't what the eye and opposing coaches tell you about the team. In Oklahoma's case, it's a team that achieved a great deal during the first month of the season, only to stumble through a mediocre-at-best conference season. The eye says the Huskers are good and OU isn't. The numbers say the reverse. Let's match 'em up in Dayton and see which one really deserves to be in the final 64. 

That's what the play-in should be about.

Edited by jayschool

5 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I would say that the "play-in game" concept was created for teams exactly like Nebraska and Oklahoma, teams that have contradictory resumes. In Nebraska's case, it's a team that achieved a great deal in its power conference, but its computer metrics aren't what the eye and opposing coaches tell you about the team. In Oklahoma's case, it's a team that achieved a great deal during the first month of the season, only to stumble through a mediocre-at-best conference season. The eye says the Huskers are good and OU isn't. The numbers say the reverse. Let's match 'em up in Dayton and see which one really deserves to be in the final 64. 

That's what the play-in should be about.

You’d sell a lot of tickets for that puppy as well.  NCAA $$$$$$

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Personally, I think that Moos is connected enough that if we have a selection Sunday watch party, it’ll be because we know we’re at least in Dayton.  If it’s just the team, it’s up in the air.

Agree with this.  If the school sets up some sort of publicized "watch party" you'd have to think (with all the connections they have) they have a pretty good feeling we're at least in Dayton.  That should be more telling than anything that comes out of Lunardi or Palm's mouth. 

5 hours ago, colhusker said:

Jimmy the days ahead may get long but not today.  CH finds out if Grandchild #2 is a little boy or a little girl.

Congrats!  And just think, in today's climate, years down the road your grandchild might decide the test was wrong....;)

I'm going to be happy if we are playing in the NCAA or NIT. I think that a prolonged run in the NIT sets is up for next year even better than a first round loss in the NCAAs, but, if we can get that monkey of our back, the benefits of two or three games in the Dance will be the best thing to happen to the Cornhuskers, so as disappointed as I was to to lose to Michigan, I think the future is bright short and long term as long as we are playing at least a few more games this season. 

I got my NIT tickets.  If that's where we end up I'll be caring about it and attending.  I hope the players rally and play hard.  The NIT is a lot like the minor bowl games.  It is obvious some teams are disappointed and don't give maximum effort.  I think if we get a home game we'll be OK.  

I'm not judging the season by yesterday.  22 wins and 4th in the Big 10 is satisfying.  We played some exciting basketball.  Easy team to support as they seem like a bunch of good guys.  Bench mob came up with some original Schtick.  Enjoyed this season a lot.

Edited by HB

Congrats: A potential 6'9" power forward I hope. Now it is time for all to rise and shine, for it is Schadenfreude Sunday! Someone be sure to let me know who to root against today. I will be too entranced by the Oscars to figure it out myself. That is, until the awards get too boring and self important which usually comes at the 20 minute mark.