Big Games under Miles

Just now, uneblinstu said:

I had someone preiently say to me after the KU game "Hope that one doesn't matter come March..." Some saw it as a pretty significant impact game way back then. And based on Coach Miles' reaction in the post game, he did, too.

Oh yeah, it matters. So did a handful of road-neutral games that could have changed the course of the early season. And we all know about the stupid Stetson & Delly State scheduling around Christmastime. All of it matters.....

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Oh yeah, it matters. So did a handful of road-neutral games that could have changed the course of the early season. And we all know about the stupid Stetson & Delly State scheduling around Christmastime. All of it matters.....

It wouldn't have bothered me to play one of those games. The killer ended being the UCF loss, though. We need to hope Missouri St. doesn't fall off the table if we end up facing them. They were 135 this year. They just fired their coach and 4 of their top 6 were seniors.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:45 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

giphy.gif

Seems like we just can't get over the hump in important games. Today, 2014 B1G tournament, 2014 NCAA tournament, anytime we play the sweater-vests. No Sit Sunday seems to be the exception. Just would be nice to go into a big game, and actually come out on top. My Venting is over - for now.

I actually disagree on the UCF loss being such a killer. Say we beat them, but lose to West Virginia (the way they were playing + the way we were playing, that seems like kind of a given)...we get St. John's again, and it's the full-strength version that just decimated us a week before. If we lose that one too, our RPI is...64. Exactly the same as it is now. Our SOS jumps 16 points and we pick up a Quad 2 win in UCF, but that's offset by an extra loss. In order for us to see any real benefit, we'd have to beat St. John's again (or beat WVU, who absolutely SMOKED UCF after getting tripped up a little by Marist) which is something that, as much as I love this team, I'm not sure we would have accomplished at that point in the season. So all things considered, maybe there would be some incremental benefit to have played the tougher opponents, but I'd be surprised if it was enough of a boost to make a real difference in our postseason hopes.

(For whatever it's worth, too, simply dropping Delaware State from the schedule has exactly the same effect on our SOS and RPI as losing to WVU but beating St. John's.)

Edited by ladyhusker

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

I actually disagree on the UCF loss being such a killer. Say we beat them, but lose to West Virginia (the way they were playing + the way we were playing, that seems like kind of a given)...we get St. John's again, and it's the full-strength version that just decimated us a week before. If we lose that one too, our RPI is...64. Exactly the same as it is now. Our SOS jumps 16 points and we pick up a Quad 2 win in UCF, but that's offset by an extra loss. In order for us to see any real benefit, we'd have to beat St. John's again (or beat WVU, who absolutely SMOKED UCF after getting tripped up a little by Marist) which is something that, as much as I love this team, I'm not sure we would have accomplished at that point in the season. So all things considered, maybe there would be some incremental benefit to have played the tougher opponents, but I'd be surprised if it was enough of a boost to make a real difference in our postseason hopes.

(For whatever it's worth, too, simply dropping Delaware State from the schedule has exactly the same effect on our SOS and RPI.)

Well there you go using logic

He certainly has won big games, but there is a handful that could have gotten us to the next step as a program that we have laid eggs in. 
Beating a team when they don't have the same inventive isn't the same as a big game to me. MSU and Wisconsin in 2014 were much much more important to NU than MSU or Wisconsin.

Michigan had much more to play for in the conference Tournament than when we beat them in Lincoln.