Big Games under Miles

giphy.gif

Seems like we just can't get over the hump in important games. Today, 2014 B1G tournament, 2014 NCAA tournament, anytime we play the sweater-vests. No Sit Sunday seems to be the exception. Just would be nice to go into a big game, and actually come out on top. My Venting is over - for now.

giphy.gif

Seems like we just can't get over the hump in important games. Today, 2014 B1G tournament, 2014 NCAA tournament, anytime we play the sweater-vests. No Sit Sunday seems to be the exception. Just would be nice to go into a big game, and actually come out on top. My Venting is over - for now.
Put another way, we suck against good teams and good coaches, especially when it matters.

if we're being blunt, this team's been playing a ton of "must win" games since they beat Michigan. They did pretty well during that streak. Car just ran out of gas on the last one. We really haven't had enough "big games" to create any kind of a trend. 

I can't think of any other team in the country that was subjected to what was essentially a month long play in game. 

That's a take reminiscent of Nebraska football when everyone would say, "We always play like horses**t when we're on TV."  Well, back in the day, if the game was televised it was ALWAYS against a good opponent making victory less likely. Same deal here, double-bye opponents and NCAA tournament games aren't against scrubs. You're not going to beat anybody shooting the way we did today. 

On 3/2/2018 at 7:40 PM, Handy Johnson said:

That's a take reminiscent of Nebraska football when everyone would say, "We always play like horses**t when we're on TV."  Well, back in the day, if the game was televised it was ALWAYS against a good opponent making victory less likely. Same deal here, double-bye opponents and NCAA tournament games aren't against scrubs. You're not going to beat anybody shooting the way we did today. 

If it comforts anyone wearing red, the 'Champions of the West,' Michigan, also held MSU & Purdue to some of their worst shooting stats of the season as well.

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

"We lost to the hottest team in the country handily when it mattered." - Nebraska/#2 Michigan State/#8 Purdue

We also kicked Michigan's ass when it mattered, and Penn State's, and we would've beat OSU handily on our home court.  I think MSU and probably Purdue beats us anywhere.  

We were at least in the same zip code of Purdue.  As others have said, an odd year when most important games were road game and we didn't do well with them.

Just now, colhusker said:

We were at least in the same zip code of Purdue.  As others have said, an odd year when most important games were road game and we didn't do well with them.

That Ohio State game was there for the taking, the B1G Player of the Year just took over more than our 1st team all-conference guy. And that was the start of NU's 4 games in 8 days, in which NU won three of the 4 including 2-of-3 road games. Delany totally messed up with this condensed scheduling, but that's nothing new to the discussion. Just ticks me off every time I think of the 4-game "top 20" guantlet of @ MSU, Minny, @ CU, KU stretch in a 13-day time-frame.

1 minute ago, colhusker said:

MSU and Purdue lost 1 game at home this year.

OSU lost 2 games at home.

We played horrible at MSU, be we played as well as damned near anyone else against Purdue and OSU on their home court.  All of our Tier 1 losses were on the road besides KU.  We split those games at home at the very least.  

Just now, uneblinstu said:

I'm not conceding anything to anyone at PBA this year.

Here's an interesting look at a home-court success rate for NU in the 1st five seasons at the Vault:

The first & last year of those 1st 5 years, Nebraska has an impressive, combined 31-2 record (94% success rate).

The middle three years, and Nebraska is only 28-22 (56% success rate).

All together, NU is 59-24 (71% success rate).

18 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

16 of our 22 wins came against teams with a losing record, and it's hard to put a *spin* on that one. But, be that as it may, and my Kool-Aid addiction aside, this team has a weird "glow" around it that's gonna carry it thru... maybe even to, dare I say it, a rematch with Creighton!

Man, and just 7-7 against teams with winning records. Every time I start getting my hopes up again, something like that comes up. Better mix up a new batch of Kool-Aid and not go online the rest of the day!

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

16 of our 22 wins came against teams with a losing record, and it's hard to put a *spin* on that one. But, be that as it may, and my Kool-Aid addiction aside, this team has a weird "glow" around it that's gonna carry it thru... maybe even to, dare I say it, a rematch with Creighton!

lol... If we don't sweep Wisconsin and Minnesota they both end up not having losing records

that makes it 12...

If Rutgers beats us both games they don't have a losing record...

That makes it 10...

If we don't beat Northwestern they don't have a losing record

So that is 9...

So what exactly are you saying?  Should we not win the games?  See what you did was, you didn't take everything into account to blurt out a negative statistic.  Saying 9 of our 22 wins came against teams with a losing record just doesn't sound bad enough to you I guess.  See what you don't get is someone needs to win those games and usually it isn't us, and we are the team with the losing record.

Sorry I rather win those 7 games, maybe that is just me though!

Edit:

Let's say we lose those games

Wisconsin = 17-16

Minnesota = 17-15

Rutgers = 17-17

Northwestern = 16-16

Nebraska = 15-17

Man our conference would look so much better wouldn't it, because we'd be log jammed in the middle with all the other teams and the Big 10 would of gotten 6 teams in Penn St  and Maryland would be locks.  Man how dumb of us to win those ball games! 

Edited by big red22

4 minutes ago, big red22 said:

lol... If we don't sweep Wisconsin and Minnesota they both end up not having losing records

that makes it 12...

That makes it 10...

So that is 9...

So what exactly are you saying?  Should we not win the games?  See what you did was, you didn't take everything into account to blurt out a negative statistic.  Saying 9 of our 22 wins came against teams with a losing record just doesn't sound bad enough to you I guess.  See what you don't get is someone needs to win those games and usually it isn't us, and we are the team with the losing record.

Winning = good

Losing = not good

42 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

One thing I will say is that 22 losses for teams... 13 of those Big 10 teams... are because we beat them.  So that's a nice stat.

Basically, there were 126 total losses in Big 10 games this year and we provided 13 of those losses.  We accounted for over 10 percent of the league losses.

Of the 13 other teams in the Big Ten, there were only three that Nebraska didn't defeat. And it just so happened to be the top 3 teams in the regular season (MSU, OSU, Purdue), and all of them were on the road.

if we're being blunt, this team's been playing a ton of "must win" games since they beat Michigan. They did pretty well during that streak. Car just ran out of gas on the last one. We really haven't had enough "big games" to create any kind of a trend. 

I can't think of any other team in the country that was subjected to what was essentially a month long play in game. 
Yeah but to be fair we wouldn't have been in that position if we could have closed out OSU or Kansas (other big games)

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

that makes it 12...

That makes it 10...

So that is 9...

Edit:

Let's say we lose those games

Wisconsin = 17-16

Minnesota = 17-15

Rutgers = 17-17

Northwestern = 16-16

Nebraska = 15-17

Man our conference would look so much better wouldn't it, because we'd be log jammed in the middle with all the other teams and the Big 10 would of gotten 6 teams in Penn St  and Maryland would be locks.  Man how dumb of us to win those ball games! 

Hey I'm not doggin' us, I was shocked when I found out those numbers myself. All you can do is play who's on yer schedule and beat 'em  & we did that. I'm sayin' we're IN.

Edited by Handy Johnson

14 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
On 3/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, tcp said:

Yeah but to be fair we wouldn't have been in that position if we could have closed out OSU or Kansas (other big games)

To be fair fair.... at the time, KU or OSU wasn't "must win" games to me.  Would they have been nice?  Yes.  Looking back would it have been better for us to get those?  Yes.  But to say those were must win games at the time just isn't true I don't think.  Unless of course you consider every game a "must win."

At the time of KU, if you told me that we would be going 12-4 in the Big 10 plus win our next three games, I would have said we were fine.

At the time of our OSU loss, if you told me that we would win 8 of our last 9, I would have said we were fine.

When push came to shove, and we HAD to win games.  When we realized that each game we were playing was probably a "must win game," we did it in all but 2 games.  One against the Big 10 champs, and only 1 clunker.

To be fair fair.... at the time, KU or OSU wasn't "must win" games to me.  Would they have been nice?  Yes.  Looking back would it have been better for us to get those?  Yes.  But to say those were must win games at the time just isn't true I don't think.  Unless of course you consider every game a "must win."

At the time of KU, if you told me that we would be going 12-4 in the Big 10 plus win our next three games, I would have said we were fine.

At the time of our OSU loss, if you told me that we would win 8 of our last 9, I would have said we were fine.

When push came to shove, and we HAD to win games.  When we realized that each game we were playing was probably a "must win game," we did it in all but 2 games.  One against the Big 10 champs, and only 1 clunker.
OSU was absolutely a must win; especially if we wanted to make the dance before the conference tourney. I got a lot of flak for posting a thread about making the NIT after the OSU loss. We all knew that was our last chance for great win of the season.

I didn't think we could win as many down the stretch as we did but many replies to that these were "we can win out which gives us a good chance to make the tourney."

I am hoping since we were able to win so many games over teams we are better we still get in.

19 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I had someone preiently say to me after the KU game "Hope that one doesn't matter come March..." Some saw it as a pretty significant impact game way back then. And based on Coach Miles' reaction in the post game, he did, too.