NCAA or bust.

15 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Can thank Eichorst for the issues with TM contract. Moos will take care of that after the season is over.

Nobody on this site or any other site knows whether we are in the NCAA tourney or not. 

What we do know is that Bruce R is on our side and our AD is working backing channels.

Our NCAA tourney hopes are still very much alive.

Personally I don't think it was a bad idea at the time to not renew Miles. My guess is Eichorst and Miles's agent were at a stalemate and SE played the wait and see game.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

We also have to remember that we just won what... the second most games in school history.  Chemistry is probably the best it’s been.  Many a times this year we could have folded or have a let down.  Only maybe once or twice did we.  Maybe.  Before the season if you would have said we’d win 22 regular season games and have people talking fire Miles, I would have said this board hit an all time low.  Not the team.

This is true, but also most were saying NCAA tourney or bust. If that was people's true feelings, does it matter that we won 22 games?

17 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

So you’re ready for another mid major coach to come in and try and get the same amount of talent as Miles and come off the second best winning season and most conference games won in a season. Miles deserves at least 2 years after what they accomplished this year. If he tanks next year, he will be on the hot seat the following year. The facilities are nothing anymore and our fan base can be our own worst nightmare. 

People forget Nebraska has made it to the tournament, what 7 times in history (125ish years) miles has one of those and then damn near got another in his 6th season (still could) this talk of getting a new coach is tired some.

i don’t understand the reset of a program after a 22 win season. The expectations some fans (not just you cookie) have. 

Just relax and let the chips fall.

So if this team doesn’t make the dance next year, you would still have faith in Miles? And what would be the point of keeping him one additional year if we do miss the tourney next season? Just to watch us go through more growing pains after losing Palmer, Copeland, and Watson?

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

8 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

This is true, but also most were saying NCAA tourney or bust. If that was people's true feelings, does it matter that we won 22 games?

Goes both ways though, because a lot of (not all) those people were also hoping to win 10-11 conference games, get to 20-21 wins, and we’re sure we’d be dancing.  We won 13 and reached 22.

32 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

So if this team doesn’t make the dance next year, you would still have faith in Miles? And what would be the point of keeping him one additional year if we do miss the tourney next season? Just to watch us go through more growing pains after losing Palmer, Copeland, and Watson?

Do you not have faith in Roby, Allen, or anyone else that could be in the pipeline or works to continue to ways? It just seems like as soon as seniors are gone the show needs to reboot?

9 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

Do you not have faith in Roby, Allen, or anyone else that could be in the pipeline or works to continue to ways? It just seems like as soon as seniors are gone the show needs to reboot?

Roby’s a darn good player. But if he can’t get to the tournament with those three seniors-to-be, you think he’ll get us there without them?

I’m just saying barring injuries, there’s no excuse for missing the tourney next year. Tim got a pass for the unexplainable 2014-15 season. He was then given an opportunity to rebuild for the next three seasons, likely culminating in an NIT bid. He returns the bulk of his team next year, so he gets a fourth opportunity.

So it’s not as simple as, “as soon as seniors are gone,” I give up. It’s more like, “after five straight missed NCAA tourneys, including two where we were expected to make it before the season,” I’d be ready to move on instead give him another rebuild.

I suppose it's not too late to start a 'Fire Miles' Thread.   :Whistling:   :Biggrin:

But for what it's worth, here is my take on it:

I read somewhere else where someone said:

"I thought in the last 3-5 minutes that Coach Miles should have been substituting the whole bench into the game. We weren't going to win anyway and that would give them all a chance to play in the B1G tournament and at Madison Square Garden.  It would have made some good memories for the Bench Mob."

I remember reading somewhere that in the Michigan Game @ PBA, John Beilein, knew he wasn't going to win, he sat his starters for the last 5 mins and Made Them Watch their loss from the bench - planting the seed in their minds for their come-back. John Beilein is a 'crafty' coach - that and his comment he was going to spend the time on the flight back home figuring out what went wrong.

We may very well have a 'secret-weapon' in our arsenal.  I think that we will come to appreciate Bill Moos more and more as a 'Crafty' AD; one who could help Tim Miles become a 'craftier' coach.

Edited by Red Don

On 3/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Ron Mexico said:

I was told the same thing as well. And in all honesty if they did it would be consistent with  what has happened in years past.

TP had a magical season and returned.  He followed it up with a less impressive season and disappointing team effort.  He then declared.

AWIII was on an awful team, knew he was going to be asked to do more than he was comfortable with so he bailed.

Morrow and Jacobsen knew what was coming with Palmer and Copeland and didn't want to be relegated to sharing minutes with each other and Jordy at the 5.

Everyone else who has left has essentially be non-factors that we all thought had "potential."

(Walt P was a very odd situation, don't see anyone like that on this team)

Frankly I don't see any of these applying to Palmer or Copeland.  We didn't see major defections coming off the '14 run and I don't think we will after this season. Might we lose a Palmer or Tshimanga? Very possible.  Maybe a seemingly random Allen or Akenten type defection? Very possible.  I just don't see a scenario where we have a massive jumping of ship.

Palmer could use another year to improve some skills but I don’t know his financial situation.  Isaac needs to stay and get stronger.  Watson isn’t an NBA prospect.  Jordy could be 5, Roby 4, Isaac3, Palmer 2 and Watson 1.  Not a bad starting 5.

15 hours ago, NeeandMe said:

TP had a magical season and returned.  He followed it up with a less impressive season and disappointing team effort.  He then declared.

AWIII was on an awful team, knew he was going to be asked to do more than he was comfortable with so he bailed.

Morrow and Jacobsen knew what was coming with Palmer and Copeland and didn't want to be relegated to sharing minutes with each other and Jordy at the 5.

Everyone else who has left has essentially be non-factors that we all thought had "potential."

(Walt P was a very odd situation, don't see anyone like that on this team)

Frankly I don't see any of these applying to Palmer or Copeland.  We didn't see major defections coming off the '14 run and I don't think we will after this season. Might we lose a Palmer or Tshimanga? Very possible.  Maybe a seemingly random Allen or Akenten type defection? Very possible.  I just don't see a scenario where we have a massive jumping of ship.

You sort of proved my point. The "why" doesn't matter as it changes every year, it's the fact that it happens.

I fully understand that this is fairly common in CBB and I'm not judging it as a strategy so long as it works.

A team like Nebraska is walking razors edge relying on this strategy.

All of the players you mentioned, had they stayed, would have helped us a great deal. 

Edited by Ron Mexico

16 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It was a bad idea because it hurts recruiting.

Explain how.

We had by recruiting rankings the 2nd or 3rd most talented  roster in the conference this season behind Michigan State and maybe a healthy Maryland.

It's also the best and deepest team we've seen in probably 20 years.

Who has this cost us this class? 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Who are the most?  Most on here picked a .500 conference season.  I know I didn't expect what we got to watch and love this season.  I myself was hoping NIT this year and the dance next year.

5 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Explain how.

We had by recruiting rankings the 2nd or 3rd most talented  roster in the conference this season behind Michigan State and maybe a healthy Maryland.

Maybe they wouldn't have come here anyway but we've had guys tell the staff they've removed Nebraska from consideration because they didn't know if Miles would be there the next year.

If you're craving roster stability, you probably want to recruit guys who value stability. Miles' current contract situation isn't screaming stability.

5 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Explain how.

This maybe changing some with the number of kids who transfer each year now.  However, when a coach walks into a players home and can tell mom and dad and the kid he will be the coach for the next 4 years the family knows the guy they are committing to will be there.  A coach with a 2 year contract is almost like a dead man walking.

11 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Explain how.

I can explain it one word... stability.

Because Miles proved we were so stable with his previous years? I know this is the era of transfers, but we are on the high number even considering that. And a real abysmal record with HS recruits. A few years ago patience was preached due to the celebrated class of Morrow, Jacobson, and Watson and now 2/3 of them are gone. What's the next excuse? A committee out to get us?

With 800+ transfers every year in D1 (351 schools) - that's just over 2 per school per year on average...is Nebraska really that much out of the ordinary?  It's okay to dislike the transfer market in college hoops I guess, but it is kind of the reality these days.

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

Because Miles proved we were so stable with his previous years? I know this is the era of transfers, but we are on the high number even considering that. And a real abysmal record with HS recruits. A few years ago patience was preached due to the celebrated class of Morrow, Jacobson, and Watson and now 2/3 of them are gone. What's the next excuse? A committee out to get us?

This is a funny statement, because on paper it was true.  One of the best high school recruiting classes.  But when push came to shove, we put a better product on the floor when 2/3 of them left than when they were here.  We kept arguably the most valuable piece in Watson, and found a more athletic and versatile person (Roby) to start at center.  Then we threw in two transfers and BAM.  22 Wins.  Transfers happen... as you said.  For us, it might have been for the better in most instances.  Really the only time that we have lost major play makers, we have replaced them with something better.

I wonder if we could convince Mike Daum from South Dakota State to grad transfer next year. Big man from the panhandle. 6'9" and averages 24 and 10. Anyone that watched the Summit League Championship last year might remember that he torched Omaha for 37.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty