NCAA or bust.

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

If that is the case maybe you should hold Miles accountable for recruiting poor HS recruits then? Tai and now possibly Glynn will be the only people to make it here 4 years out of HS.

Why do we have to find something to be mad at at all!?!?  Why can't it just be that he has found better players on the transfer market than in HS?  Who cares who comes in and leaves as long as we continue to put good products on the floor.

7 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

If that is the case maybe you should hold Miles accountable for recruiting poor HS recruits then? Tai and now possibly Glynn will be the only people to make it here 4 years out of HS ... Roby might be on that track too.

Add Nick Fuller as well bc he was here 4 years. Jack? Jordy could still stay 4 years? Benny Parker could’ve left with coaching change, shavon? They were here for the 4 years after Doc was fired.

16 hours ago, HB said:

"Worst 3 years" kind of conveniently ignores that we finished dead last in the conference in 2 out of Doc's last 3 years.   I guess one could think we've been worse under Miles than the 2 guys before him but that would be a strange opinion.  

yes, we were majorly trending down at the end of Doc's tenure ... nowhere did I ignore that. Just saying that 3 year stretch was the worst in 60-70 years and included an extremely disappointing year where we were rated to start the season and REALLY flopped (not just "didn't make the tourney"). Before this season the only time we had really played "well" was about a 4 week stretch in 2013 that got us in the tourney. I will admit Miles got a lot out of not much his first year.

He has facilities and is being paid much better than Doc, Barry ... there are a bit of new expectations that come with that. I would be happy with making the NCAAs 2 out of every 5 years and making the NIT 1-2 other times.

3 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

Add Nick Fuller as well bc he was here 4 years. Jack? Jordy could still stay 4 years? Benny Parker could’ve left with coaching change, shavon? They were here for the 4 years after Doc was fired.

I suppose you could say Fuller was here 4 years, but only 3 of his eligibility years were played out here. He was a bust in recruiting. I am talking guys specifically recruited by Miles. I would be surprised if McVeigh is here next year and it's not like he's been a huge success recruiting wise either.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Why do we have to find something to be mad at at all!?!?  Why can't it just be that he has found better players on the transfer market than in HS?  Who cares who comes in and leaves as long as we continue to put good products on the floor.

Continue? You mean from here forward? I think stability is a key here on some level. Like I stated, transfers are the name of the game these days, but we are on the extremes when it comes to people leaving.

1 minute ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

yes, we were majorly trending down at the end of Doc's tenure ... nowhere did I ignore that. Just saying that 3 year stretch was the worst in 60-70 years and included an extremely disappointing year where we were rated to start the season and REALLY flopped (not just "didn't make the tourney"). Before this season the only time we had really played "well" was about a 4 week stretch in 2013 that got us in the tourney. I will admit Miles got a lot out of not much his first year.

He has facilities and is being paid much better than Doc, Barry ... there are a bit of new expectations that come with that. I would be happy with making the NCAAs 2 out of every 5 years and making the NIT 1-2 other times.

I  respect your view that Miles isn't the right guy and should be fired.    But I completely disagree with your statement that "the 3 year stretch was the worst in 60-70 years. "  That's a simplistic, cherry-picking view, and isn't close to reality.   You can pull out win-loss records all you want, but you can't just compare win-loss records.  The Big 10 in those years was better top to bottom than any league we had played  in, and the non-conference scheduling was much tougher.    I've been going to games for over 50 years, and the 3 years of which you speak weren't even close to the worst teams we had in 60-70 years.    Just an over the top, crazy statement.  

1 minute ago, HB said:

I  respect your view that Miles isn't the right guy and should be fired.    But I completely disagree with your statement that "the 3 year stretch was the worst in 60-70 years. "  That's a simplistic, cherry-picking view, and isn't close to reality.   You can pull out win-loss records all you want, but you can't just compare win-loss records.  The Big 10 in those years was better top to bottom than any league we had played  in, and the non-conference scheduling was much tougher.    I've been going to games for over 50 years, and the 3 years of which you speak weren't even close to the worst teams we had in 60-70 years.    Just an over the top, crazy statement.  

A crazy statement unless you look at actual numbers. I'm not saying the B1G isn't tougher and the schedule wasn't tougher, but that was a lot of pretty bad basketball and underachieving imho.

3 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I suppose you could say Fuller was here 4 years, but only 3 of his eligibility years were played out here. He was a bust in recruiting. I am talking guys specifically recruited by Miles. I would be surprised if McVeigh is here next year and it's not like he's been a huge success recruiting wise either.

I would love to go through the recruiting busts of Miles' predecessors with you.   I get that expectations with a practice facility and new arena are higher, but it isn't like there was some history of successful recruiting of high school players in recent history.   In fact, the opposite.  Those are damn hard to get, and we've struggled forever.  A shiny new place isn't just going to instantly change  100 years of futility.  In order to try to get players that give us a chance to compete, we have to start somewhere.   Miles' somewhere was Petteway,  Pitchford, Copeland, Palmer.  Transfers with risk.   Danny filled rosters out with guys like Garner and Chandler (high level guys) .  Barry and Doc filled out rosters with guys like Brennon Clemons , Justin Boeker and Kedrick Ford.   Doc got Alex Chapman.  The high school recruits were a rogues gallery of awful players.    We're not where we need to be, but you are way over critical of Miles' recruiting.  

Edited by HB

5 hours ago, HB said:

I would love to go through the recruiting busts of Miles' predecessors with you.   I get that expectations with a practice facility and new arena are higher, but it isn't like there was some history of successful recruiting of high school players in recent history.   In fact, the opposite.  Those are damn hard to get, and we've struggled forever.  A shiny new place isn't just going to instantly change  100 years of futility.  In order to try to get players that give us a chance to compete, we have to start somewhere.   Miles' somewhere was Petteway,  Pitchford, Copeland, Palmer.  Transfers with risk.   Danny filled rosters out with guys like Garner and Chandler (high level guys) .  Barry and Doc filled out rosters with guys like Brennon Clemons , Justin Boeker and Kedrick Ford.   Doc got Alex Chapman.  The high school recruits were a rogues gallery of awful players.    We're not where we need to be, but you are way over critical of Miles' recruiting.  

I'm not comparing him to Doc and Barry. That was the past. So, just checking ... our HS recruiting has been awful for forever, so it should just be OK that it sucks ongoing?

21 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I'm not comparing him to Doc and Barry. That was the past. So, just checking ... our HS recruiting has been awful for forever, so it should just be OK that it sucks ongoing?

Once again, our HS recruiting hasn’t sucked under Miles.  We have gotten guys like Glynn, TAllen, and Ed Morrow to come here.  Those are huge gets.  We have just been better at recruiting the transfer route.  Just because we found better guys via the transfer route rather than the HS route doesn’t mean that our HS recruiting sucks.

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

th (2).jpeg

18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Once again, our HS recruiting hasn’t sucked under Miles.  We have gotten guys like Glynn, TAllen, and Ed Morrow to come here.  Those are huge gets.  We have just been better at recruiting the transfer route.  Just because we found better guys via the transfer route rather than the HS route doesn’t mean that our HS recruiting sucks.

If you would read, I said that Glynn and Tai are about the only contributors that will have completed their eligibility here while being HS recruits.

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Continue? You mean from here forward? I think stability is a key here on some level. Like I stated, transfers are the name of the game these days, but we are on the extremes when it comes to people leaving.

Which players who have left have been program changers?  

22 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Glynn, Thomas, and Ed.  Don't forget Roby.

We also have Xavier Johnson coming in next year.

We beat out schools like Illinois, Purdue, Georgetown, NC State, Kansas and Creighton among many others for them.  In Creighton's case for ALL of them.

But sure, if saying that recruiting those players equates to our recruiting "sucking" is the hill he wants to die on, then okay...

...also he's implying that Glynn and Tai will be the only guys to finish their eligibility here I guess?  Which means

Jack

Isaiah

Jordy

Nana

Xavier

among others all of whom are MAJOR contributors (or are expected to be in the future) with the possible exception of Jack, will transfer out before they finish their eligibility?

That's quite a leap of faith there.

7 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

And given what Doc left for the next coach one would expect bad things.  

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

it doesn't suck nearly as bad.  There has been progress you are not acknowledging.  It takes time.  But the talent recruited by Miles is considerably better than what was being done previously.  Roby is a prime example.  Stud high school recruit; very special talent.  

39 minutes ago, 49r said:

...also he's implying that Glynn and Tai will be the only guys to finish their eligibility here I guess?  Which means

Jack

Isaiah

Jordy

Nana

Xavier

among others all of whom are MAJOR contributors (or are expected to be in the future) with the possible exception of Jack, will transfer out before they finish their eligibility?

That's quite a leap of faith there.

I'm saying his HS recruiting has not panned out very well over the time he has been here. Go look at the list ... 

Nana, Jordy and Xavier the verdict is all still out on these players ... I am talking about known quantities that have been recruited and stuck around out of HS. Glynn and Tai SO FAR and yes Roby was a good get and a nice pickup as a diamond in the rough.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

8 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I didn't say they were program changers ... and in essence you are partially making my point by saying they weren't that great of recruits in the first place.

Or it could be that each year the guy trying to build a program from the grave took better talent but not the talent needed to get us over the top.  I would say Morrow and Jacobson were better recruits than the kids Miles brought in the first year.  I do believe there is still a place on the team for Morrow but not at the position he feels he should be playing.