NCAA or bust.

11 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

Whelp let’s bring in Joe Schmo and start over. Back to the mid major market we come. Just seems like you wanna can miles after one of the best seasons in Husker history. It’s just asinine, it’s not his fault the schedule set up the way it did.

I have been a season ticket holder for 27 years. I wanted to "can Miles" last year and maybe even the year before to be honest. The lack of structure on offense especially has been concerning to me. We honestly have underachieved most of the years he has been here. Again, the worst 3 year stretch in 60some years is really saying something. I'm not a fair-weather fan ... I just think we deserve a coach that knows his stuff rather than a marketer. Yes, this is just all my opinion. I think there's a reason for all the turnover here both in coaches and players. Even in these transfer heavy times, we are on the extremes in terms of turnover.

36 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I have been a season ticket holder for 27 years. I wanted to "can Miles" last year and maybe even the year before to be honest. The lack of structure on offense especially has been concerning to me. We honestly have underachieved most of the years he has been here. Again, the worst 3 year stretch in 60some years is really saying something. I'm not a fair-weather fan ... I just think we deserve a coach that knows his stuff rather than a marketer. Yes, this is just all my opinion. I think there's a reason for all the turnover here both in coaches and players. Even in these transfer heavy times, we are on the extremes in terms of turnover.

"Worst 3 years" kind of conveniently ignores that we finished dead last in the conference in 2 out of Doc's last 3 years.   I guess one could think we've been worse under Miles than the 2 guys before him but that would be a strange opinion.  

51 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

You are also talking about two people, Bo Pelini and Danny Nee, who almost made it impossible to keep them due to behavior, etc.

I brought up Frank, someone else brought up Bo.  Yes both ended up shooting themselves in the foot.  That said, what we hired after coaches that did well stunk.  Again I think Miles is on the verge of being the guy in Lincoln, yes I could be wrong.  I also feel our new football coach will be successful.

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely want Palmer to stay. I think we have the potential to be a very good team next year if he returns.

However, I don't think it's doomsday if he leaves.

First of all - How can you blame a guy for wanting to follow his dreams to play in the NBA? If he thinks it's his best chance to make it in the league if he goes now, I will 100% be supportive of him, and I would imagine Coach Miles would be too. 

Secondly - this all started with Terran. We are bringing in players who are roll players on their respective teams, and turning them into all conference players with NBA potential. Players looking to transfer are noticing this, and will continue to come here if we are a potential springboard to the NBA.

Lastly, if he does make the NBA that is going to be great exposure for Nebraska in the future. There probably aren't a lot of high level recruits that are watching Nebraska games around the country. But most are watching the NBA, and if they are seeing player(s) from Nebraska that can only be positive. 

If Palmer (or Cope) leave now because they think they have a legitimate shot at the NBA then I can't blame them and I will encourage them completely. This is a good step in the right direction, I think I can assume we all want NBA caliber talent  on our roster moving forward. 

If Palmer (or others) leave for any other reason then that would be a completely different issue than what I am talking about in this post, but leaving for a potential shot in the NBA is fine by me. Granted I would be a little disappointed.

1 minute ago, nuhusker7 said:

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely want Palmer to stay. I think we have the potential to be a very good team next year if he returns.

However, I don't think it's doomsday if he leaves.

First of all - How can you blame a guy for wanting to follow his dreams to play in the NBA? If he thinks it's his best chance to make it in the league if he goes now, I will 100% be supportive of him, and I would imagine Coach Miles would be too. 

Secondly - this all started with Terran. We are bringing in players who are roll players on their respective teams, and turning them into all conference players with NBA potential. Players looking to transfer are noticing this, and will continue to come here if we are a potential springboard to the NBA.

Lastly, if he does make the NBA that is going to be great exposure for Nebraska in the future. There probably aren't a lot of high level recruits that are watching Nebraska games around the country. But most are watching the NBA, and if they are seeing player(s) from Nebraska that can only be positive. 

If Palmer (or Cope) leave now because they think they have a legitimate shot at the NBA then I can't blame them and I will encourage them completely. This is a good step in the right direction, I think I can assume we all want NBA caliber talent  on our roster moving forward. 

If Palmer (or others) leave for any other reason then that would be a completely different issue than what I am talking about in this post, but leaving for a potential shot in the NBA is fine by me. Granted I would be a little disappointed.

Don't think anyone would blame them for leaving.  That said, think both are European level talent at this point, granted I could be wrong, I never thought that guy that thought Orange was better than Red would be in the NBA and he has been.  My concern is IF either or both leave, we are back to being two ships short of full.

26 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Don't think anyone would blame them for leaving.  That said, think both are European level talent at this point, granted I could be wrong, I never thought that guy that thought Orange was better than Red would be in the NBA and he has been.  My concern is IF either or both leave, we are back to being two ships short of full.

I'd have a lot more concerns about just having two scholarships to fill.  With them, if everything goes well, you've got a team that could potentially have a low NCAA seed; without them, all the stars would have to align for them to be a bubble team.  But, they each have to do what's in their best interest.

41 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I'd have a lot more concerns about just having two scholarships to fill.  With them, if everything goes well, you've got a team that could potentially have a low NCAA seed; without them, all the stars would have to align for them to be a bubble team.  But, they each have to do what's in their best interest.

I know it is 2018 and old school is not cool but sometimes you do owe people and only thinking of you best interest is really selfish. And sometimes it isn’t even in your best interest. Anyone think Palmer is 1st team all conference if he stays at Miami? What’s Cope doing at a not so good Georgetown this year? We gave them a scholarship, free university, a place to develop, a good/successful team to be a part of and chance to shine on a national stage. Nobody wants them to ruin their future but they have work to do to be solid NBA players. I know the university and the basketball program has also benefited from their choosing to attend UNL. It is a positive symbiotic relationship. All good teams usually are. Personally I don’t think either one of them owe the fan base anything at all, but they do owe their coach and their team for all they have done for each other. Neither would be giving up lottery status. It’s possible that neither would even be drafted. So I would be disappointed if they left and if I was their coach or teammate I would feel justified to be upset with them. Now in 2018 it wouldn’t be cool to publically acknowledge those feelings but I I think it would be justified for Roby or Watson to be a little upset with them if they do walk away from the team. 

Edited by Dean Smith

I do think it would be ok for them to check the water and withdraw their names when they discover how the NBA values their services this year. I would guess anyone on this year's team could improve his value by performing well here again next year. However, we really can't tell them what to do without fully knowing their family situations, their future aspirations after basketball, or their life experiences here in Nebraska. Of course, from a selfish standpoint we want everyone to return.

8 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Think we are on the same page with this.

17 hours ago, colhusker said:

Not yet, but soon, very soon! The spelling and lack of semicolons is just typing to fast and having a phobia against proof reading.

There is never an excuse for a lack of semicolons; they're far too useful!

Edited by atskooc

12 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

As for the turnover, so does every other coach have the same issues? Seems like there is 800+ D1 transfers per year on average. 

Ill agree that he had an awful stretch and he was lucky to be kept last year. Moos would be stupid to let Miles go after the 2nd best season in school history. 

He proved himself this year whether the big 10 was “down,” you still have to win the games.

Would you rather have another mid major experiment again? Why not let the man who’s brought in talent and built a program that could make the tourney for a second time in 6 years. That would be 2 outta 8 total appearances. How many did doc or Barry get? 

Also, I realize that there is a chance that we don't make the dance this year.  But there is also a chance that we do.  Isn't this what everyone wanted??  I remember a plethora of posts that stated that we should contend for an NCAA bid and if we don't get it, the NIT would be next.  So Miles comes out and does that with this team and it isn't good enough for some people?  In my lifetime (that I can remember) I have seen exactly 1 NCAA tournament that Nebraska participated in (Miles).  I remember just one time that the Huskers won more than 20 games (Miles).  The Barry and Doc years were my first years that I can actually remember.  I know that some have went through a lot more than I have.  But to say that now might be a good time to get a new coach is ridiculous.  Period.  Sure we had three really bad seasons historically.  But don't forget to point out that we are on the cusp of the 2nd tourney bid in a 6 year time frame.  

4 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

As for the turnover, so does every other coach have the same issues? Seems like there is 800+ D1 transfers per year on average. 

Ill agree that he had an awful stretch and he was lucky to be kept last year. Moos would be stupid to let Miles go after the 2nd best season in school history. 

He proved himself this year whether the big 10 was “down,” you still have to win the games.

Would you rather have another mid major experiment again? Why not let the man who’s brought in talent and built a program that could make the tourney for a second time in 6 years. That would be 2 outta 8 total appearances. How many did doc or Barry get? 

I don't think the issue is transfers rather who the transfers are.  We have had quite a bit of key contributors leave early or transfer to other programs.  I don't know how that compares to other programs but some programs can typically absorb the losses and move on without a hitch.  We haven't proven to be capable of that just yet.  We will likely be in the same boat if we lose both Palmer/Copeland in the offseason barring some home runs with 5th year transfers.  We don't have any other transfers waiting in the wings for next year.  The goal should be to make the NCAA tournament, Miles has said as much.  That doesn't mean this year is a bust if we don't make it.  With that said, even if we don't make the tournament this year I'm fine with Moos extending Miles but there is no do over starting next year if we have major turnover in the offseason.  Miles should be expected to have next years team called on selection Sunday.  I also don't understand why people bring up Doc or Barry...we are in much better position now.  And a lot of this is the University has made the decision to utilize more resources for the basketball program.  Tim Miles is making more than double than Doc did...Tim Miles has one of the best arenas in college basketball.  We finally have a practice facility.  We should not be comparing to Doc/Barry...this has been a new ERA of Nebrasketball and one that we should expand our expectations of the basketball program. 

15 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't think the issue is transfers rather who the transfers are.  We have had quite a bit of key contributors leave early or transfer to other programs.  I don't know how that compares to other programs but some programs can typically absorb the losses and move on without a hitch.  We haven't proven to be capable of that just yet.  We will likely be in the same boat if we lose both Palmer/Copeland in the offseason barring some home runs with 5th year transfers.  We don't have any other transfers waiting in the wings for next year.  The goal should be to make the NCAA tournament, Miles has said as much.  That doesn't mean this year is a bust if we don't make it.  With that said, even if we don't make the tournament this year I'm fine with Moos extending Miles but there is no do over starting next year if we have major turnover in the offseason.  Miles should be expected to have next years team called on selection Sunday.  I also don't understand why people bring up Doc or Barry...we are in much better position now.  And a lot of this is the University has made the decision to utilize more resources for the basketball program.  Tim Miles is making more than double than Doc did...Tim Miles has one of the best arenas in college basketball.  We finally have a practice facility.  We should not be comparing to Doc/Barry...this has been a new ERA of Nebrasketball and one that we should expand our expectations of the basketball program. 

The only time I don't think there was a better option waiting in the wings for the key transfers was Andrew White.  

2 minutes ago, colhusker said:

The only time I don't think there was a better option waiting in the wings for the key transfers was Andrew White.  

I was lumping guys like Petteway and Pitchford into that as well.  The transfer market has been more kind to us than not obviously.  We were able to overcome losing Morrow/Jacobson pretty easily.  Can we do the same if Palmer/Copeland leave? I'm not so sure as we don't have any other transfers waiting in the wings right now.  That's obviously worst case scenario...hopefully they both stay and we are talking about if we will be ranked or not come next fall. 

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I was lumping guys like Petteway and Pitchford into that as well.  The transfer market has been more kind to us than not obviously.  We were able to overcome losing Morrow/Jacobson pretty easily.  Can we do the same if Palmer/Copeland leave? I'm not so sure as we don't have any other transfers waiting in the wings right now.  That's obviously worst case scenario...hopefully they both stay and we are talking about if we will be ranked or not come next fall. 

For me, it's tough to lump Pitchford in there because he quit basketball all together.  It isn't like he didn't like the team or Miles I don't think.  I mean hell, he is at the Nebrasketball games a lot nowadays.  

I also think it's even tougher to lump Petteway in there.  We're talking about a guy going pro.  That is the ultimate goal for most star players... really any player... isn't it?  We need players going pro.  That's the start.

So the only big transfers to me have been Ed, Mike, and White.  We lost White at a really bad time.  Yet Miles managed to find Evan Taylor.  Yes, ET is not AW, but Evan has played a huge role this year.  Then we lose Ed and Mike.  Before losing Ed and Mike, we already had JPJ and Copeland on the bench.  We managed to replace Ed and Mike with Dube and Thomas Allen.  Not a bad trade since we already had JPJ and Copeland on the bench.  We also managed to replace all of their production with Jordy, Roby, and Copeland this year.  So all-in-all it wasn't a major loss to me personally.

So that brings me to Palmer and Copeland.  IF they decided to go Pro, I would support them and to me, there isn't much you can do about that.  That'w what we want guys doing.  I expect both of them to test the waters and get evaluated.  My hope is that scouts tell Palmer he has some "potential" to get drafted next year and Palmer comes back with something to prove.  If they grad transfer, that will be disappointing.  However, Miles track record shows that he is able to replace guys we lose with pretty quality players.  Are they world beaters?  Most of them no... JPJ if you count him.  Are they players that really helped?  Yes, they filled a role nicely.  Taylor, Dube, and Thomas Allen were all pickups AFTER transfers.

44 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

For me, it's tough to lump Pitchford in there because he quit basketball all together.  It isn't like he didn't like the team or Miles I don't think.  I mean hell, he is at the Nebrasketball games a lot nowadays.  

I also think it's even tougher to lump Petteway in there.  We're talking about a guy going pro.  That is the ultimate goal for most star players... really any player... isn't it?  We need players going pro.  That's the start.

So the only big transfers to me have been Ed, Mike, and White.  We lost White at a really bad time.  Yet Miles managed to find Evan Taylor.  Yes, ET is not AW, but Evan has played a huge role this year.  Then we lose Ed and Mike.  Before losing Ed and Mike, we already had JPJ and Copeland on the bench.  We managed to replace Ed and Mike with Dube and Thomas Allen.  Not a bad trade since we already had JPJ and Copeland on the bench.  We also managed to replace all of their production with Jordy, Roby, and Copeland this year.  So all-in-all it wasn't a major loss to me personally.

So that brings me to Palmer and Copeland.  IF they decided to go Pro, I would support them and to me, there isn't much you can do about that.  That'w what we want guys doing.  I expect both of them to test the waters and get evaluated.  My hope is that scouts tell Palmer he has some "potential" to get drafted next year and Palmer comes back with something to prove.  If they grad transfer, that will be disappointing.  However, Miles track record shows that he is able to replace guys we lose with pretty quality players.  Are they world beaters?  Most of them no... JPJ if you count him.  Are they players that really helped?  Yes, they filled a role nicely.  Taylor, Dube, and Thomas Allen were all pickups AFTER transfers.

All of this!

I like that perspective even if it is a little rose Colored.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Having guys pro is very important.  It's another sell on the recruiting trail.  But, we want to play in the NCAA tournament + have guys go pro.  Obviously we were VERY close this year if we don't hear our name called but my main concern is that we don't make it and we lose important pieces next year and we missed a prime opportunity with a talented roster.  Then next year we will be talking about how young we are, how they will need to gell, etc......and it seems to be a never ending circle.  I'm putting the cart way before the horse but for once it would be nice to have a good offseason and be able to come into the next season with high expectations.  And if Palmer/Copeland leave I don't take that as they hate  Miles...they should do what they feel is best for them but it will feel like a missed opportunity if our season results in the NIT with those players and then poof they are gone.     

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

this has been a new ERA of Nebrasketball and one that we should expand our expectations of the basketball program. 

Fans generally set expectations. Well, initially, administrators and bigger boosters do, but rank-and-file fans shape those over time. 

I think consistent 20-win seasons - some of which would end in NCAA bids, some of which wouldn't - would be heartily embraced round these parts. 

4 hours ago, big red22 said:

I think I would throw Ed Morrow in there as well.  Other than those two, I was not upset with any other transfers

If that is the case maybe you should hold Miles accountable for recruiting poor HS recruits then? Tai and now possibly Glynn will be the only people to make it here 4 years out of HS ... Roby might be on that track too.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs