NCAA or bust.

I would say odds are 70% that Palmer is back, 50% that Copeland is back and 30% that Jordy is back.

Likely wouldn't have made an ounce of difference, but I was pretty shocked at how little Jordy played today. Seems like a good game to have had a rim protector/inside presence.

4 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I would say odds are 70% that Palmer is back, 50% that Copeland is back and 30% that Jordy is back.

Likely wouldn't have made an ounce of difference, but I was pretty shocked at how little Jordy played today. Seems like a good game to have had a rim protector/inside presence.

I'm not. Our problem was primarily offensive. Michigan was only at 61 pts with 4 left in the game, so it wasn't on D that was killing us. It was our utter inability to put the ball in the hole, and Jordy would probably have not been the best use of that 5th spot on the floor if you're trying to score. At least, I'm guessing that was the thinking. 

1 hour ago, tcp said:

I'm not. Our problem was primarily offensive. Michigan was only at 61 pts with 4 left in the game, so it wasn't on D that was killing us. It was our utter inability to put the ball in the hole, and Jordy would probably have not been the best use of that 5th spot on the floor if you're trying to score. At least, I'm guessing that was the thinking. 

Also, Jordy was not a good matchup defensively with Michigan.  Vagner would have eaten him alive.

14 hours ago, Huskers/Cubs said:

This post is wanting more for this program! The goal is NCAA tourney period!  Going to the NIT or staying home is about the same now days.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. Think of the extra practice/team building time. You have to consider TV and media exposure as most of the games are usually pick up by ESPN or other networks that don't have exclusive rights to the NCAA'S.

Edited by Lifetimesker

15 hours ago, tcp said:

It's harder to make the NIT now than it was, that's for sure. The explosion of teams and conferences (and their autobids) has made the tourney more selective, really. 

That reminds me of a quote from "Spinal Tap." "Do you think the popularity of the band is waning? No, are fans are just becoming more selective." 

14 hours ago, northwillriseagain said:

Only if you’re shallow minded.

Been a fan for 40 years, but expect more than the program has ever accomplished, and on a consistent basis.

Got it. Revolving door of mid major coaches will definitely get you there.

I wouldn’t consider seven years a revolving door situation. Seven years is plenty of time. To me, it’s safe to say that this conglomeration of players is about as good as Tim is going to have here. You don’t often find transfers that are as good as JPJ and Copeland. His recruits don’t seem like they’ll ever be better than the Robys and Glynns of the world.

So for those reasons, I think an ultimatum of NCAA or bust is extremely fair for Miles next year. If he can’t do that, I’d be more than ready to see what another coach can do with our state-of-the-art facilities and fan base, not to mention an AD I trust with the hiring process.

We also have to remember that we just won what... the second most games in school history.  Chemistry is probably the best it’s been.  Many a times this year we could have folded or have a let down.  Only maybe once or twice did we.  Maybe.  Before the season if you would have said we’d win 22 regular season games and have people talking fire Miles, I would have said this board hit an all time low.  Not the team.

NIT or NCAA tourney, i will watch.

The team had a terrific season and if they miss the NCAA, it will be because the metrics didn't fall their way.

When you are a bubble team, sometimes the bubble pops and you have to play in the NIT...

If you end up in the NIT, embrace it and if you string 3 or 4 wins together and, I think we will all be excited about any accomplishments at that point.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

UCF should have fired their football coach because they didn't get selected into the tournament.

I know you are joking but we went 4-9 against top 100 RPI teams this year. Some of that was our fault in that we were in some very close games and didn’t close(KU,Creighton,OSU)....some of that isn’t our fault in that the Big Ten was down and our schedule did not give us very many opportunities to get a good win at home 

I’ve noticed my patience dwindling and it honestly isn’t Miles fault. I follow husker basketball, football and baseball very closely and it seems for the last 10-15 years none of those teams have performed at the end of the season. My fuse shortens every year. I let myself buy in to this team ending our tournament drought and I could exhale and say “finally, a husker team gets it done”. Shouldn’t take away how this team blew away expectations, but like I said I thought this team could reverse 15 years of husker failures.

15 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont know if this was posted else where with all the threads that are going on but Moos said hes had extensive contact with all but 3 members of the committee (dont quote me on the number) and feels good about our chances at an at large.

Take it as you will.

I believe Moos here.  I did see someone tweet “the best way to get rid of a sales person is to tell them what they want to hear.”  However, I think Moos is the type of guy who wouldn’t say something to just say it.

Edited by hskr4life

I don’t doubt that the feelings were good before yesterday. Has Moos spoken since then? Because showing up the way we did with all eyes on us on a neutral court has got to change some minds.

Unrelated side note: Gill’s reaction at the end of the game yesterday would be funny to look back on if we end up getting in.

4 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I don’t doubt that the feelings were good before yesterday. Has Moos spoken since then? Because showing up the way we did with all eyes on us on a neutral court has got to change some minds.

Unrelated side note: Gill’s reaction at the end of the game yesterday would be funny to look back on if we end up getting in.

Yeah watching a kid cry who wanted some thing so badly that it breaks his heart is really funny  - NOT

11 hours ago, hhcdave said:

i agree. i don't get why people think palmer is 1 step out the door. he's not on any mock drafts. he's only 21 and only has 1 year of starting experience. he could get a lot better.

25 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

That quote from Moos came from the elevator after the game yesterday from what I saw.

I think Gill's reaction was because they laid an egg on the big stage, more so than thinking their bubble got popped but hard to say.  I get the reaction.  The amount of time and effort college athletes put in is amazing.  It was a tall task when it was build up as a must win against a team that is playing like an NCAA 4 or 5 seed.

I think the takeaway from this season is that you have to dial in your rotation and win earlier in the season instead of relying on getting hot.  It was a tall task for Miles because it involved melding new guys and benching long time contributors.  Assuming most everyone who should come back does then we need to get that right from the get go and play like we are on a mission all year long.

And if I am being snarky, I look forward to the Big 10 getting "good" again so we can get on the bubble with a 7-10 record in conference.

The loss was devastating for the team and for the fans.  I'm still not over it.  Looking a long way back when I played the game, and even when I coached it, losses like yesterday's is hard to overcome.  What makes it tougher is that (for that game) we did not play, compete or coach up to the level of expectations...not mine, theirs. 

It is sounding as if we still have a good shot getting into the NCAA tournament.  If it happens it will be joyful and EARNED, but it will not make the Michigan game, or the feelings after it, improve.

6 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I wouldn’t consider seven years a revolving door situation. Seven years is plenty of time. To me, it’s safe to say that this conglomeration of players is about as good as Tim is going to have here. You don’t often find transfers that are as good as JPJ and Copeland. His recruits don’t seem like they’ll ever be better than the Robys and Glynns of the world.

So for those reasons, I think an ultimatum of NCAA or bust is extremely fair for Miles next year. If he can’t do that, I’d be more than ready to see what another coach can do with our state-of-the-art facilities and fan base, not to mention an AD I trust with the hiring process.

So you’re ready for another mid major coach to come in and try and get the same amount of talent as Miles and come off the second best winning season and most conference games won in a season. Miles deserves at least 2 years after what they accomplished this year. If he tanks next year, he will be on the hot seat the following year. The facilities are nothing anymore and our fan base can be our own worst nightmare. 

People forget Nebraska has made it to the tournament, what 7 times in history (125ish years) miles has one of those and then damn near got another in his 6th season (still could) this talk of getting a new coach is tired some.

i don’t understand the reset of a program after a 22 win season. The expectations some fans (not just you cookie) have. 

Just relax and let the chips fall.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

i agree. i don't get why people think palmer is 1 step out the door. he's not on any mock drafts. he's only 21 and only has 1 year of starting experience. he could get a lot better.

He also isn’t on course to graduate. Something he promised his mother.