Dirk Chatelain

TourneyBound

Just finished Part 3 - he should've made it into a book. So many great stories.

I haven't watched highlights from that 90-91 team for a long time - my goodness. That team was unbelievably good. We had it pretty good around here sports-wise in the early 90s. Wish I would've appreciated it a bit more at the time.

And I think Cliff Scales is one of the most underrated NU players of all-time. To keep that group in line as the point guard and with Nee in his ear 24/7 probably deserves some sort of lifetime achievement award.

Part 3 was a good read.   One question I would have loved to have had Dirk address with Danny:  "What set you off in Kansas City at breakfast?  What was behind  the '2 steak tirade'?".  Perhaps he did and Danny wouldn't answer it, but  in that event i would have liked the article to state " Nee declined to comment".  Because it was a huge part of the history of the year as well as Part 3 of the article.   

9 hours ago, HB said:

Part 3 was a good read.   One question I would have loved to have had Dirk address with Danny:  "What set you off in Kansas City at breakfast?  What was behind  the '2 steak tirade'?".  Perhaps he did and Danny wouldn't answer it, but  in that event i would have liked the article to state " Nee declined to comment".  Because it was a huge part of the history of the year as well as Part 3 of the article.   

Dirk didn't need to ask that question.  Let's just say, it wasn't a shock that something went down, but it's unfortunate that it didn't happen a month later.

Tony Farmer's car was a pretty good vehicle, but not good enough to throw away his college eligiblity. (I walked past him getting out of it on the way to class a couple times a week.)  It wasn't as nice as the gold plated Cadillac that I almost got run over by, driven by LeRoy Etienne the week before the NFL draft.  (LeRoy didn't get drafted, and the car went back.)  To top it off, they lost Farmer and Ramos late in the recruiting process, and the next year played with 9 available scholarship players - they could have really got things rolling otherwise.

Dirk didn't mention the most memorable thing about Missouri at the time (maybe outside of Peeler's monster jams).  That would be the female entourage they brought with them and put right behind their bench.  Those ladies sure stood out at the time.

Speaking of the football players, I'm sure we all remember they had their own unspoken "Section"  in the SW corner (I think) of the bleachers under the bucket. Neil Smith, the aforementioned Leroy and all the rest would show up dressed to the 9s with LOTS of pretty ladies. I recall one game when Doug Dubose should up dressed like Eddy Murphy from the "Golden Child."

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Dirk didn't need to ask that question.  Let's just say, it wasn't a shock that something went down, but it's unfortunate that it didn't happen a month later.

With all due respect, he needed to ask the question.  If you're going to make the incident a big part of your story, you need to go to the top guy with it.  

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for reading the Nee project. I know it stirs a lot of good memories. I hope you absorbing the online features. I could watch the old videos forever -- it kills me that I couldn't find Michigan State 1990 anywhere. But we have most of the other big ones. We'll have a few podcasts coming up, too, I think.

One clarification: I did talk to Nee about the fateful breakfast in Kansas City. I just liked how Hoffman told it better, so I used his voice. Danny and I probably talked for 5-6 hours over the past few years. Here's what we have the rest of the week.

Part 5: 1993

Part 6: 1994

Part 7: 1995-2000

Part 8: What Nee's been doing the past 18 years -- this one might be my favorite

Epilogue: Where Are They Now?

2 minutes ago, DirkChatelain said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for reading the Nee project. I know it stirs a lot of good memories. I hope you absorbing the online features. I could watch the old videos forever -- it kills me that I couldn't find Michigan State 1990 anywhere. But we have most of the other big ones. We'll have a few podcasts coming up, too, I think.

One clarification: I did talk to Nee about the fateful breakfast in Kansas City. I just liked how Hoffman told it better, so I used his voice. Danny and I probably talked for 5-6 hours over the past few years. Here's what we have the rest of the week.

Part 8: What Nee's been doing the past 18 years -- this one might be my favorite

Thanks for all the work you put into that!!  Good insight on a lot of great memories that I have growing up!  I'm looking forward to the rest!

6 hours ago, DirkChatelain said:

I just wanted to add my thanks for this series. I spent most of my early youth without being in love with Nebraska basketball. It was this era that made me turn the corner and it has been really fun reliving the characters, games and stories. (And by the way, the court at Devaney during this time period is by the far the best college basketball floor in history). 

6 hours ago, DirkChatelain said:

Thanks, and great stuff.    Brings back a flood of memories of Danny stuff, and has some new.   Very rewarding, but keeping me from getting to my work for an hour each morning!

I thought long and hard about how to best present this project. I feared doing a book would eliminate some of our multimedia features (I mentioned how much I enjoyed the game footage, but the old photos are great, too). I also worried that people wouldn't buy it. But feedback has been good, so maybe it's a possibility now. Thanks for reading. Hopefully we can finish strong.

Sidenote: I think this Friday night event in the Haymarket is going to be really cool. If anyone has any ideas on how to make even better, feel free to shoot me an email. [email protected].

On 3/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, Blindcheck said:

Being a fan of the huskers for a long time now.

Danny Née’s teams frustrated the heck out of me....when you pulled up the box score and saw Erick Strickland played 21 minutes....or his inevitable substitutions that were head scratchers.

i liked Née, but if his X’s and O’s were better, it could have been great.

I could not believe how Strickland was Nee’s whipping boy (not to be taken as a racial statement just an athletic reference from a common term in my D1 days as an athlete).  Boone was very talented but also very selfish and incredibly lazy on defense. His father was the opposite in the ABA professional leagues.

Strickland was even more talented on offense than Boone but also totally committed to defense and rebounding and passing. He would get benched by Nee and cussed out for no apparent reason while Boone would play more minutes than Strickland.

Nee had no X’s and O’s but he could recruit.

4 minutes ago, bkamler said:

I could not believe how Strickland was Nee’s whipping boy (not to be taken as a racial statement just an athletic reference from a common term in my D1 days as an athlete).  Boone was very talented but also very selfish and incredibly lazy on defense. His father was the opposite in the ABA professional leagues.

Strickland was even more talented on offense than Boone but also totally committed to defense and rebounding and passing. He would get benched by Nee and cussed out for no apparent reason while Boone would play more minutes than Strickland.

Nee had no X’s and O’s but he could recruit.

When Ron Boone told Née that Jaron starts no matter what.....or he is gone, that pretty much mad Strickland the scapegoat.

8 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I always heard a story about Nee putting his fist through a pop machine after we got screwed at Missouri. Any truth to that story?

To be fair, that particular screwing at Missouri was an all time, epic screwing.  The double foul call at the end of the game might have been the worst officiating I've ever seen outside of Glynn Watson's fifth foul against Creighton.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

To be fair, that particular screwing at Missouri was an all time, epic screwing.  The double foul call at the end of the game might have been the worst officiating I've ever seen outside of Glynn Watson's fifth foul against Creighton.

I agree. I was pissed after that game. Refs wanted to make sure Missouri finished the conference undefeated.

@DirkChatelain This piece might be my favorite thing that I have ever read of yours. I think that it could and should be a book. You'd get one sale, for sure. 

With the multimedia features - would there be a way to place a QR Codes throughout the book that a reader could use their phone while reading the book to access the multimedia features?