Next year

ZAYWHAT!

You see it for other schools, Frank the tank comes to mind for Wisconsin, McDermott for Creighton.  Big time players come back for their Senior years.  I still think Petteway should have stayed.  Why doesn't it happen for Nebrasketball?  I totally agree that Palmer and Copeland can play their way into bigger NBA contracts if they stay.

Maybe Miles needs to re-evaluate how he discusses this decision with his players.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I assume neither are graduating this may??  That might be a factor as well.

I would guess they both are on track unless they had some delays along the way. I think Palmer could have a shot at the NBA if he really dialed in his jump shot so that might be a reason to come back. Copeland I am not sure what he could do and I would not blame him if he wants to go make money over seas. Maybe he uses the year to get stronger and gets a FA tryout or something. Do not think it is an easy answer for either, hope like hell they stay would be fun.

If one or both leave I think Jack would stay, if not I would guess he might want to go play and make some money himself. Love the guy and would love him to stay but who could blame him.

So, years past, when we weren't doing so well, I might start a thread talking about next year and I'd get jumped on about it.

"It's always 'next year' with Nebraska basketball; it's never 'this year.' Why can't we ever talk about this year? I don't wanna talk about next year" blah blah blah.

So, this year we're actually having that year that everybody always wanted to talk about and some people want to talk about next year?

Whatsamatter with you?  Did you give happiness up for Lent?

5 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He’s got 10 more boards than roby In 238 more minutes and 55 more boards than jordy in 542 more mins. We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this I think. Copeland is a very good player for us especially on the offensive end but I am not a fan of his post positioning and rebounding on defense 

I guess so, because I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I feel like you've picked a few times where you saw him not board and wrote the story. I see him, more often then not, working his ass off to get position, trace the ball, then high point and immediately secure more boards better than anyone I've seen do around here in a while. 

He's also already got more rebounds this year than anyone last year. He's easily on pace to have more rebounds than anyone in 15-16. More rebounds than anyone from 14-15. More rebounds than anyone on our NCAA tourney team of 13-14. Might not eclipse Ubel's average in 12-13, but he'll have more total I'd imagine. And then of course, more rebounds than anyone in Doc's last few years. Had to go back to Maric's senior year of 07-08 to find someone getting more (at his astronomical 10.2 a game).

Edited by basketballjones

10 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

I am patiently waiting for Friday to get here.    And I know there is still much in store for this years team, but I can’t help wondering about next year.  

First game next year we raise the 2018 Sweet Sixteen Banner.  (I'm thinking it could be a Final Four, but I don't want to jinx it) 

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If we do get everyone back, I could see us landing a solid home game in the Gravitt (Seaton Hall, Providence, Xavier, etc.)  I could also see us getting solid ACC road game (Louisville, Syracuse, NCST).

It’d be nice...but we will wind up with DePaul and gtech, or pitt because for some reason we can’t draw a decent matchup in either of those matchup tourneys which is frustrating 

3 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I have heard that Evan, Duby, Anton, Malcolm and Nick (Student Manager) will not be back next year; but as of now, everyone else will be back. 

I know we joke, but that has been the biggest struggle we've faced after every successful season in the last 10 years. No continuity or way to build upon that success year-in and year-out. Define 'success' however you want, but what I would do to get some consecutive successful seasons...

Most players hit their basketball prime in their late 20s. Training in Nebraska's top facilities and getting free graduate classes is probably more beneficial than playing in the G league IMO.

Jordy will be the real question mark. I've heard he isn't real thrilled about his role right now, but he obviously saw no benefit in leaving in january.

Edited by TimSmiles

With JPJ Making first team big 10 he is likely gone now for next year.  I’m sure he will view his stock as up and time to sell.  

Copeland is gone due to his age , 23 by next season.   

Jordy is the question mark.   

Gill gone - graduates

taylor gone - graduates

jack gone- back to the outback to start making money as a pro there

roby - back

watson - back

So that’s it.   We have Roby and Watson and maybe Jordy for next year.  I guess Thomas Allen is back.  

The pieces just don’t look like they will be there next year for another year like this year.   Transfers ?   Anyone know of any?

Edited by ZAYWHAT!

Just now, ZAYWHAT! said:

With JPJ Making first team big 10 he is likely gone now for next year.  I’m sure he will view his stock as upand time to sell.  

Copeland is gone due to his age , 23 by next season.   

Jordy is the question mark.   

Gill gone - graduates

taylor gone - graduates

jack gone- back to the outback to start making money as a pro there

roby - back

watson - back

So that’s it.   We have Roby and Watson and maybe Jordy for next year.  I guess Thomas Allen is back.  

The pieces just don’t look like they will be there next year for another year like this year.   Transfers ?   Anyone know of any?

Did you hear something we all didn't?  Or is this just pure speculation?

3 minutes ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

Logical speculation.   

Meh, I don't know.  I'm not sure you can call it anything but speculation.  Each kid beats to their own drum so to assume that just because JPJ had a great year or Copeland is older and assume their gone is just wild speculation.  I'm sure a lot of people would love to go back and have the college experience again so I don't think it's any guarantee that JPJ or Copeland give this up as quickly as you presume.  Plus, neither of these guys are bonafide picks for the NBA (Copeland certainly isn't), so what makes any of us so sure that these guys really want to go play overseas just to earn a paycheck.  They are getting free room, board, basketball and the coed experience - this isn't easy for all to just give up.  I have to imagine they both have the goal of getting to the NBA and there aren't a lot of examples I can think of where college kids don't get drafted, go play overseas and then come back to the NBA.  And, living overseas isn't for everyone.  I lean towards them coming back and trying to improve their draft stock.

But, what I know more than anything, is I'm not going to give two shits about this again while the season is still going as this is still one hell of a ride to enjoy.  I have no doubt I'll be thinking about this again at some point but not any further for me right now!!!

Robin Washut on RSS earlier this week said he thought there was probably a better shot of Palmer coming back then Copeland. Sounds like Copeland will graduate but Palmer won’t and he promised his mom he would.  Also wasn’t real sure about Jordy but mentioned that at this time he thinks he will be back.