Next year

ZAYWHAT!

I am patiently waiting for Friday to get here.    And I know there is still much in store for this years team, but I can’t help wondering about next year.  

Taylor - gone

Gill - gone

Copeland - will he stay?  Could be gone.  He will be 23 this summer and may want to move on.

Jordy- will he stay?  With his departure and then return during this season I’m wondering if he will stay for next year .  Have the issues that lead to wanting to leave been resolved?

Palmer - will likely stay , but you never know.    He will be 22 this summer and in college for 4 years already.

Would be a very different team without these 5 next year.   

Edited by ZAYWHAT!

Cope is interesting. He might have a euro pro career in front of him, and another year might help his stock in that league. 

On the other hand, he may be at or near his ceiling already. 

I think if he plans on playing pro ball somewhere, he has a chance to return. 

If not, it's probably in his interest to cut bait. 

Palmer's also interesting. He was a first teamer, but he was the last one in. He's not a first round or even mid 2d round pick, so another year might help. Problem is, all the rest of the 1st team (coaches) are still eligible next season, too, although I think Bridges will be gone after this season. 

It's good that players can test the NBA water first without losing eligibility. I think James returns for a final season. 

We're going to be an old and upperclassmen heavy team next season, so I'm more worried about what's in the pipeline to replace these guys in 2019-20.But I think we're okay for next year. 

Jordy had every chance to walk this year so my gut tells me the issues were addressed.  Hopefully he stays and works on catching the ball down low and a move to the right.

Neither Copeland or Palmer are NBA ready imo (I am willing to have my mind changed with the right discussion).  I don't think either play enough defense for the league but than again, that kid that left before last year was by far and away a worse defending and he has gotten time in Atlanta.

I hope our coaches have a couple aces in the hole in case Copeland and Palmer leave because if they don't and the two leave, we could be lean again.

9 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Neither Copeland or Palmer are NBA ready imo (I am willing to have my mind changed with the right discussion).  I don't think either play enough defense for the league but than again

Uh..... Man, we must not be watching the same stuff. Cope and Palmer make us ferocious on defense. We're playing similar principles to what we always have played under Miles - but Copeland, Roby, and Palmer's athleticism and length make the defense work. 

Just now, basketballjones said:

Uh..... Man, we must not be watching the same stuff. Cope and Palmer make us ferocious on defense. We're playing similar principles to what we always have played under Miles - but Copeland, Roby, and Palmer's athleticism and length make the defense work. 

I said my mind could be changed :)  convince me!

1 hour ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

I am patiently waiting for Friday to get here.    And I know there is still much in store for this years team, but I can’t help wondering about next year.  

Taylor - gone

Gill - gone

Copeland - will he stay?  Could be gone.  He will be 23 this summer and may want to move on.

Jordy- will he stay?  With his departure and then return during this season I’m wondering if he will stay for next year .  Have the issues that lead to wanting to leave been resolved?

Palmer - will likely stay , but you never know.    He will be 22 this summer and in college for 4 years already.

Would be a very different team without these 5 next year.   

There have been some rumblings of Cope/Palmer possibly leaving but based on our recruiting I'm thinking Miles has a pretty good feeling about them returning. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Palmer is probably average on defense. Copeland is definitely below constantly gets beat for post position and rarely boxes out even seems to be a step slow off the dribble half the time. Roby has just been able to mask all this over the last ten games or so

I’d agree with colhuskers neither are NBA ready. Palmer could probably catch on w an nba bench n cope would be either G league or a euro league guy 

10 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Palmer is probably average on defense. Copeland is definitely below constantly gets beat for post position and rarely boxes out even seems to be a step slow off the dribble half the time. Roby has just been able to mask all this over the last ten games or so

I’d agree with colhuskers neither are NBA ready. Palmer could probably catch on w an nba bench n cope would be either G league or a euro league guy 

Copeland rarely boxes out? Your'e nuts. 

Long time lurker and first time poster.  I listened to the Tim Miles show on Monday.  From the comments it sounds like Jack will probably choose to play professionally in Australia.  A caller asked about the two freshmen other than Thomas Allen.  Miles said he had just had conversations with both and encouraged them to stay and work on their games.  He did not sound like that was assured to happen.

NU is probably going to have two or three more scholarships to play with if they want to use them for next year.  JMO after listening to Miles on Monday evening.

Just now, 36red said:

Long time lurker and first time poster.  I listened to the Tim Miles show on Monday.  From the comments it sounds like Jack will probably choose to play professionally in Australia.  A caller asked about the two freshmen other than Thomas Allen.  Miles said he had just had conversations with both and encouraged them to stay and work on their games.  He did not sound like that was assured to happen.

NU is probably going to have two or three more scholarships to play with if they want to use them for next year.  JMO after listening to Miles on Monday evening.

Welcome!  This sounds about right for what we and the nation average.  2-3 losses per off season.

32 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Copeland rarely boxes out? Your'e nuts. 

If we are calling that boxing out then he is just in very poor positions a lot of the time IMO. 

10 minutes ago, 36red said:

Good info, sure hope that both thor and nana don’t transfer tho

16 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If we are calling that boxing out then he is just in very poor positions a lot of the time IMO. 

Copeland is leading us in rebound, 2nd by a mile in blocks, the most steals out of any 4 or 5, and has the least amount of fouls per our full time starters. 

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

I said my mind could be changed :)  convince me!

We've gone from 77 in KenPom's defensive metrics to number 34 in one year. Palmer, Copeland, and Roby playing major minutes is why (Along with some fantastic adjustments by Miles and Co).

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Copeland is leading us in rebound, 2nd by a mile in blocks, the most steals out of any 4 or 5, and has the least amount of fouls per our full time starters. 

He’s got 10 more boards than roby In 238 more minutes and 55 more boards than jordy in 542 more mins. We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this I think. Copeland is a very good player for us especially on the offensive end but I am not a fan of his post positioning and rebounding on defense 

1 hour ago, 36red said:

I forgot all about the show (and it's a good one with breaking down our zones). I didn't quite take his comments the same way. It seemed more like a compliment to Jack as he could have just checked out during the season because at any time he could go back to Australia to play pro ball. I actually think Jack will be back next year.

I'd agree with the two freshmen....who knows there. 

Just now, hhcdimes said:

I forgot all about the show (and it's a good one with breaking down our zones). I didn't quite take his comments the same way. It seemed more like a compliment to Jack as he could have just checked out during the season because at any time he could go back to Australia to play pro ball. I actually think Jack will be back next year.

I'd agree with the two freshmen....who knows there. 

I know some on the board will disagree, but I think there is a place for Jack on the team next year.  He won't be an everyday player, but I could see him take on a Dube type role where he comes in when needed and doesn't play when he isn't needed.  That's if everyone chooses to come back.

If anyone unexpected leaves, I certainly see some more minutes for Jack.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

While Copeland does get a lot of boards, he could improve so much down there.  I'm not kidding when I say a guy like him could average 10 and 10 a game if he put in a little work during the off season on getting a little better position.

Thank you, in no way is Copeland a bad player, he’s probably a top ten player in the last decade for the skers but if he comes back n really works on that aspect of his game he probably has a chance to be a second round pick as a guy who can get you 10 boards n shoot in the high 30% range from 3 point land.

when you guys are referring to his show are you talking about him being on jim Rome? If not can you post a link to what your referring to?

As much as I want Cope and Palmer to come back, the chances are slim for both of them.  As someone pointed out earlier, they are 22 and 23 years old this year.  Most kids who want to earn a paycheck playing basketball don't want to wait until they are 23 and 24 years old.  Their shelf life gets less and less the longer they wait.  My assumption would be they both leave as well as McVeigh (who I wish total success for).  Jordy may or may not return.  Either way, it could be like starting all over yet again next year.  Story of our lives and we can't ever seem to build on our own success year over year.

Edited by kldm64

13 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

As much as I want Cope and Palmer to come back, the chances are slim for both of them.  As someone pointed out earlier, they are 22 and 23 years old this year.  Most kids who want to earn a paycheck playing basketball don't want to wait until they are 23 and 24 years old.  Their shelf life gets less and less the longer they wait.  My assumption would be they both leave as well as McVeigh (who I wish total success for).  Jordy may or may not return.  Either way, it could be like starting all over yet again next year.  Story of our lives and we can't ever seem to build on our own success year over year.

I wouldn't be so sure of this.  Both Palmer and Copeland have the tools to at least get a look at a bigger paycheck if they come back and work on refining their games.  Included in that will be a lot more opportunities on national TV because if they both come back, we are talking about a pre-season top 25 team.