Francis "Psycho" McCaffery

Norm Peterson

So, there's this interesting clip of a reporter asking Fran McCaffery if he should be on the hot seat after this season.  Interesting exchange.  McCaffery says the reporter shouldn't even be bringing it up and the report responds with, "Why shouldn't I bring it up?  You're in last place."  See video below.

OK, always fun having some fun at Psycho's expense.  Selfishly, I'd hate to lose the opportunity to yell "Lighten up Francis!" when Iowa comes to town.  But, putting that aside, I think Fran has a point.

Here are the conference win totals of the two prior coaches going back 11 years:  6, 7, 5, 7, 9, 7, 11, 9, 6, 5, 4.  In that group are 3 NCAA tourney appearances and once in the round of 32.

Now, McCaffery:  4, 8, 9, 9, 12, 12, 10, 4.  In that group are 3 NCAA tourney appearance and twice in the round of 32.

Their top 4 players (all averaging double figures) consist of 3 sophomores and a freshman.  They have a decent recruiting class signed for next year including a 4-star guy and a player who chose them over us.

So, a better question might be for Psycho to respond, "Why the hell would I be on the hotseat? Do you want to go back to the days of Todd Lickliter?"

They've certainly got a bunch of talent, but if they don't figure out that there's this little thing called defense that they have to play about 50% of every game, they won't make it over the hump.

Also, Psycho's penchant for playing a 10 or 11 man rotation for at least the last couple of years, in my view, has hurt them.  They never seem to get a core group that is real comfortable playing together.