2018 SG Karrington Davis - LOI

Huskerpapa

Per Lee B. of the OMW, we are recruiting 6-6, 175-pound Karrington Davis from St. Louis, Missouri, who plays for Montverde (Florida) Academy, the current No. 1 team in USA Today’s national high school rankings.  His team is loaded, so his stats are not going to overwhelm anyone.  Maybe a kid (and recruitment) worth watching.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-focuses-on--foot--karrington-davis-in-search/article_540492b6-4c3c-5245-aa6a-6179009c625e.html

http://verbalcommits.com/players/karrington-davis

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/karrington-davis/KuVZRb_yEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm

https://www.prephoops.com/2016/07/recruiting-report-karrington-davis/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=karrington+davis+basketball&&view=detail&mid=767DB590FD558FAADD2D767DB590FD558FAADD2D&&FORM=VRDGAR

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Per Lee B. of the OMW, we are recruiting 6-6, 175-pound Karrington Davis from St. Louis, Missouri, who plays for Montverde (Florida) Academy, the current No. 1 team in USA Today’s national high school rankings.  His team is loaded, so his stats are not going to overwhelm anyone.  Maybe a kid (and recruitment) worth watching.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-focuses-on--foot--karrington-davis-in-search/article_540492b6-4c3c-5245-aa6a-6179009c625e.html

http://verbalcommits.com/players/karrington-davis

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/karrington-davis/KuVZRb_yEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm

https://www.prephoops.com/2016/07/recruiting-report-karrington-davis/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=karrington+davis+basketball&&view=detail&mid=767DB590FD558FAADD2D767DB590FD558FAADD2D&&FORM=VRDGAR

Well color me intrigued.  If Miles has shown he can doing anything, it's that he can take a talented player overshadowed on a supremely talented team and develop him into a difference maker.

23 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I wonder what others here think are the chances Nana Akenton can make a leap into the rotation next year?

There are probably better odds that he transfers, given:

a. he chose not to redshirt this year, so he has the same amount of eligibility whether he stays or goes 

b. the most recent game when we put in scrubs, it was Tanner + Thor + 3 walk-ons...which tells me Nana may literally be the last player on our current depth chart

c. Kids transfer these days when they're playing but "not enough," and Nana isn't playing at all

I would love for him to stick around and prove me wrong, but I don't think he will.  I also don't see him cracking the rotation even if he does stick around.

Edited by aphilso1
edited for clarity

35 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I wonder what others here think are the chances Nana Akenton can make a leap into the rotation next year?

He is a heck of an athlete.  He supposedly was a deadly shooter in HS.  He has size.  So it is not hard to imagine that he can be a major contributor.  I still think he should have redshirted this year.  My concern is that he has a redshirt year available to him and we have learned that if a player is not happy, he is gonzo.

33 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

There are probably better odds that he transfers, given:

a. he chose not to redshirt this year, so he has the same amount of eligibility whether he stays or goes 

b. the most recent game when we put in scrubs, it was Tanner + Thor + 3 walk-ons...which tells me Nana may literally be the last player on our current depth chart

c. Kids transfer these days when they're playing but "not enough," and Nana isn't playing at all

I would love for him to stick around and prove me wrong, but I don't think he will.  I also don't see him cracking the rotation even if he does stick around.

He's be battling a bit of an injury, right? Maybe that was part of it?

Also, IIRC, the last time they emptied the bench before that, Jack was the guy who didn't get in. There's 6 guys on the bench, someone's gonna be left out. Maybe they just take turns?

Edited by uneblinstu

12 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

He's be battling a bit of an injury, right? Maybe that was part of it?

Also, IIRC, the last time they emptied the bench before that, Jack was the guy who didn't get in. There's 6 guys on the bench, someone's gonna be left out. Maybe they just take turns?

I hadn't heard anything about an injury.  Frankly, I haven't heard much of anything about Nana in months.  

And you may be right regarding the bench clearing.  I could very well be reading too much into it.  But I was always of the opinion that Nana's game would have a hard time translating to Power 5 basketball and the B1G in particular, so I had kind of assumed that he would eventually move on.  Given that he has shown nothing to change my opinion, I'm going to still assume that he's going to transfer.  Again, would love to be wrong on all accounts when it comes to Nana.  

44 minutes ago, khoock said:

Id say its an indicator that one of three (Nana, Thor, or Palmer) wont be back.

But who knows. Miles and Co. could just see something really special in this kid.

Nana seems most likely, for reasons stated above.  I would be surprised if Thor leaves.  I don't think he's going to crack the rotation either, but international kids seem more likely to stick it out at one school compared to domestic kids.  I would think there's better than a 50% chance that Palmer comes back.  While I could see him getting a shot in the NBA, I think being the centerpiece of a potentially deep tournament team next year would more than offset the negative of being a year older when he eventually enters the Draft.  All that goes out the window if he gets a draftable grade though.

So I finally read the Lee B. article on Davis, and to me the most surprising thing was that Xavier Johnson is 6'3".   For whatever reason I thought X was like 5'11" or something.  I'm now even more excited to see him next year, and am intrigued by the idea of developing Davis next to him.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is Tanner still on scholarship next year?  If not we have 2 open ones.

As far as who won't be back next year it's going to be someone. Everyone coming back here who could come back here is not how college basketball works now.

I think Tanner issemester-to-semester with his schollie, so probably only gets it if we don't fill the roster at end of fall semester again.

Totally agree with your thoughts on roster turnover.  And I'm OK with that, but not OK with more AWIII/Jacobson/Morrow-type transfers.  Transfers are the norm, but losing star players and team captains to transfer seems to be more of a mid-major problem.  We shouldn't have to deal with that every year.

22 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

And I'm OK with that, but not OK with more AWIII/Jacobson/Morrow-type transfers.  Transfers are the norm, but losing star players and team captains to transfer seems to be more of a mid-major problem.  We shouldn't have to deal with that every year.

We're going to a lot of years.  In a way even the best teams do with one and dones. 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

But who knows. Miles and Co. could just see something really special in this kid.

I would say Jack might be a candidate to leave if Palmer / Cope come back (love Jack so I hope he stays but would not blame him). Nana seems to really love being on this team so I think he stays. Plus I heard on the radio he has been dealing with an injury. Not sure what or how severe but if it is a legit injury there is the possibility of a medical redshirt.

I know it is very limited time but I see talent to me he just needs to get some intensity and work like hell on his ball handling. I am not writing him off at all.

I don't think the recruitment of this kid should tell us anything other than we are recruiting a potential top flight player.  Any conjecture about any players leaving (other than the seniors) is reading too much into the process.  You certainly have to have contingences, but in this case, it is what the coaching staff has been searching for.  Xavier was one of two guards we were trying to replace (Anton and Evan).  Duby's scholarship position has been accepted by Heiman.   Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I don't think the recruitment of this kid should tell us anything other than we are recruiting a potential top flight player.  Any conjecture about any players leaving (other than the seniors) is reading too much into the process.  You certainly have to have contingences, but in this case, it is what the coaching staff has been searching for.  Xavier was one of two guards we were trying to replace (Anton and Evan).  Duby's scholarship position has been accepted by Heiman.   Am I missing something?

Fair point.  But internet message boards are made from equal parts idle speculation and guys claiming insider knowledge.  I don't know anyone on the inside and I'm a terrible liar, ergo I provide idle speculation.  

8 hours ago, khoock said:

If we are reading into things, I think this means that coaches are pretty confident in both Tanner and Jordy remaining with the team.