Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OurDecay

Roby (is Good)

Recommended Posts

If you take away the Wisconsin road game where he only played 17 minutes with foul trouble, here are Isaiah Roby's last 6 games:
 
vs Iowa: 30 mins, 17 pts, 8 reb, 3 blocks, 2 assists, 1 TO
@ Minn: 34 mins, 21 pts, 8 reb, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 1 TO
vs Rutg: 27 mins, 10 pts, 11 reb, 2 blocks, 2 assists, 1 TO
vs Mary: 32 mins, 11 pts, 10 reb, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 1 TO
@ Illinois: 32 mins, 14 pts, 10 reb, 3 blocks, 2 assists, 3 TO
vs Ind: 35 mins, 11 pts, 9 reb, 1 block, 2 assists, 2 TO
 
For an average of: 31.7 MPG, 14.0 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 2.8 BPG, 1.8 APG, 1.5 TPG
 
...that'll play.
Edited by OurDecay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Roby is going to be one of the better Husker alums before all is said & done. He represents Dear Old Nebraska U quite well! GBR

 

I recently said the following to my brother: "Provided he stays healthy and stays all 4 years, I think Roby could be among the best players to ever play for Nebraska."

 

Could be wrong but at least in my lifetime, I don't recall Nebraska having a player with the physical attributes to do everything like Roby does. Inside, outside, handle the ball, athleticism, court sense. The guy has only scratched the surface and I am so excited to keep watching him grow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had our share of great athletes over the years, but you're right, very few at his size with his wing span and as court-aware at this point in his career. I can't wait to see what he can do with another off-season - if he works as hard this off-season as he did last off-season, it's crazy to think how good he could be.

Edited by throwback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree on the upside of Roby. When I started thinking about others like him, my mind went to Bernard Garner. I don't remember Garner being able to handle the ball quite as well but Bernard was a force to be reckoned with. FYI Bernard played from 95-97.

Edited by KZRider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stu Lantz?  Just before I can remember him.  Was going to games then but only 4 or 5 years old I think.  But isn't Roby kind  of like him from what I have heard?

 

Also this is just me, but Roby seems to be the type of kid that would stay for his senior year because he thinks he needs to get better.  HE doesn't think he is that good yet.  You can tell by his interviews and sometimes his body langauge on the court.  

 

I truly think he is a kid that will think and his parents too, that he will benefit from all four years of college.  Heck he might be able to shave by then.:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Silverbacked1 said:

Stu Lantz?  Just before I can remember him.  Was going to games then but only 4 or 5 years old I think.  But isn't Roby kind  of like him from what I have heard?

 

Also this is just me, but Roby seems to be the type of kid that would stay for his senior year because he thinks he needs to get better.  HE doesn't think he is that good yet.  You can tell by his interviews and sometimes his body langauge on the court.  

 

I truly think he is a kid that will think and his parents too, that he will benefit from all four years of college.  Heck he might be able to shave by then.:mellow:

Roby gives me some Kawhi Leonard vibes, a great potential in college, but could truly unlock it at the next level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Stu Lantz?  Just before I can remember him.  Was going to games then but only 4 or 5 years old I think.  But isn't Roby kind  of like him from what I have heard?

 

Also this is just me, but Roby seems to be the type of kid that would stay for his senior year because he thinks he needs to get better.  HE doesn't think he is that good yet.  You can tell by his interviews and sometimes his body langauge on the court.  

 

I truly think he is a kid that will think and his parents too, that he will benefit from all four years of college.  Heck he might be able to shave by then.:mellow:

Lantz is before my time, but from what I've heard, that might be a good comparison.

 

Maybe Andre Smith? Different era, so he was more back to the basket style. Good passer out of the post, not as good of a rebounder, but great scorer.

 

Venson Hamilton kind of made that huge jump from his frosh to soph season. Again, more back to the basket as I remember, but an outstanding all-around player. Maybe NU's most under-rated player of all time. If Roby could develop like Hamilton did, look out.

 

Edited by throwback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he's not getting into foul trouble, he's pretty much immune to having a bad game. If he doesn't shoot well or doesn't take a lot of shots, he'll still be getting rebounds and playing great defense. When he does have an offensive rhythm going, he's an all-conference caliber player. Excited to see him continue to progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

.............................

Also this is just me, but Roby seems to be the type of kid that would stay for his senior year because he thinks he needs to get better.  HE doesn't think he is that good yet.  You can tell by his interviews and sometimes his body langauge on the court.  

 

I truly think he is a kid that will think and his parents too, that he will benefit from all four years of college.  Heck he might be able to shave by then.:mellow:

 

And here it seems only yesterday that we were saying what a 'Baby-Face' he was!   ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just imagine what he numbers could look like this year if Miles would have started him all year like he should have over Jordy.  And I'm a firm believer that if Roby was starting all year and getting the minutes he is now that we'd have another win somewhere along the way.  Thank goodness Jordy decided to quit the team or else he would still be starting and Roby would only be getting his 18 minutes a game and we'd have a few more losses than we currently do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

And just imagine what he numbers could look like this year if Miles would have started him all year like he should have over Jordy.  And I'm a firm believer that if Roby was starting all year and getting the minutes he is now that we'd have another win somewhere along the way.  Thank goodness Jordy decided to quit the team or else he would still be starting and Roby would only be getting his 18 minutes a game and we'd have a few more losses than we currently do.  

 

I actually don't think Roby was ready to start at the beginning of the year and forcing him to do so might have changed how good he actually is right now.  Things happen for a reason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

And just imagine what he numbers could look like this year if Miles would have started him all year like he should have over Jordy.  And I'm a firm believer that if Roby was starting all year and getting the minutes he is now that we'd have another win somewhere along the way.  Thank goodness Jordy decided to quit the team or else he would still be starting and Roby would only be getting his 18 minutes a game and we'd have a few more losses than we currently do.  

 

I agree in principle.   I get starting Jordy in November.   But it was painfully obvious what the move should have been in early to mid December.   We waited another month.   Would have been interesting to see how we wouldve responded at Penn State right the rotation we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nustudent said:

 

I agree in principle.   I get starting Jordy in November.   But it was painfully obvious what the move should have been in early to mid December.   We waited another month.   Would have been interesting to see how we wouldve responded at Penn State right the rotation we have now.

 

It seemed like transferring mid-semester would have been a terrible idea because he had already taken 2nd semester classes. If Jordy was teetering while starting I would wonder if he would have come back after Christmas break if he was benched in December. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of another Roby comparison, one who is in the NBA HoF but actually doesn't seem like too crazy of a stretch.  Call Zay a poor man's version of him, if you like.  Can you guess the Hall of Famer?

 

6'8"

228 lbs

16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 2.0 steals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I thought of another Roby comparison, one who is in the NBA HoF but actually doesn't seem like too crazy of a stretch.  Call Zay a poor man's version of him, if you like.  Can you guess the Hall of Famer?

 

6'8"

228 lbs

16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 2.0 steals

That would be Scottie Pippen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×