Penn St at Michigan game

PimpMario

If Watkins plays Sunday n it looks like a huge IF his mobility n shot blocking will definitely be affected.

michigsn took one outta our book here w the zone. Penn state has no answer for it since Carr always has the ball in his hands and the 1 3 1 kinda neutralizes that aspect of an offense. The way people talk of chambers I doubt he makes an adjustment in 3 days. Hopefully our zone which should be much more refined than Michigan’s will be on lock Sunday 

I actually think PSU has been better vs the 1-3-1 the past several games, or at least since we used it on them. They found its holes. But when UM switched to more of a 2-3 look last night, they were back to square one because the 2-3 doesn't have the same holes as the 1-3-1.

So maybe we roll out both 1-3-1 and that 2-3 we used at Illinois to try to confuse them, and I think it'll work. Carr just plays so passively vs the zones, it almost takes him out of the game. And as good as he is, anything you can do to slow him down is worth trying.

Another big break for us if Watkins doesn't play - he has dominated us in the past two meetings ... and that's an understatement. I hope he's all right, but if the Nits want to hold him out Sunday to make sure he's healthier for the B1G tournament, I won't complain. 

I'll give Chambers this - he might be the league's top recruiter right now. To get that much high school talent/future pros to come to that impossible-to-get-to craphole is pretty impressive, especially considering they have no tradition.

As far as his coaching acumen? Well, they're 9-8 this year in the B1G with more talent/athletes than anyone outside of East Lansing, and I believe the talent level is actually pretty close between those two. Whoever said earlier that if you give UM's coach PSU's players and he takes them to the Final Four is spot on.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

I actually think PSU has been better vs the 1-3-1 the past several games, or at least since we used it on them. They found its holes. But when UM switched to more of a 2-3 look last night, they were back to square one because the 2-3 doesn't have the same holes as the 1-3-1.

So maybe we roll out both 1-3-1 and that 2-3 we used at Illinois to try to confuse them, and I think it'll work. Carr just plays so passively vs the zones, it almost takes him out of the game. And as good as he is, anything you can do to slow him down is worth trying.

Another big break for us if Watkins doesn't play - he has dominated us in the past two meetings ... and that's an understatement. I hope he's all right, but if the Nits want to hold him out Sunday to make sure he's healthier for the B1G tournament, I won't complain. 

I'll give Chambers this - he might be the league's top recruiter right now. To get that much high school talent/future pros to come to that impossible-to-get-to craphole is pretty impressive, especially considering they have no tradition.

As far as his coaching acumen? Well, they're 9-8 this year in the B1G with more talent/athletes than anyone outside of East Lansing, and I believe the talent level is actually pretty close between those two. Whoever said earlier that if you give UM's coach PSU's players and he takes them to the Final Four is spot on.

I was thinking about this last night too.  His roster is stacked. not sure how he did it or if he did it without breaking some rules.....

9 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I was thinking about this last night too.  His roster is stacked. not sure how he did it or if he did it without breaking some rules.....

Local kids. He got Shep Gardner from Roman Catholic in Philly to go there and then got Carr and Stevens to buy them all building something there.  I'm not exactly sure what happened with Watkins but I think him re-qualifying from 2014 to 2015 and his lack of any other scholarship makes me think there were some big academic questions that kept other people away.

13 hours ago, 49r said:

So... Michigan v Maryland...  Who do we want?

Michigan....easy.  This is of course assuming we don't lose to PSU.  With a win, MICH RPI is predicted to be 22 heading into NYC.  Assuming they beat let's say Minnesota...in the first round their RPI will be at 21 heading into our matchup.  A top 25 RPI win will look very nice on our resume at this point. 

14 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I have to think Watkins makes about a five point difference due to the matchups.  No team in the league besides us would i consider him to be so important 

On the "Behind Enemy Lines" thread, someone on the penn state hoops forum posted it was a broken knee cap.  Don't necessarily believe it since he came back to play.  But the way he was helped off the court, who knows.

Interesting, I had a chipped kneecap right before senior year of high school.  They said it wouldn’t get worse if you can handle pain but surgery you are looking at 7 weeks or so.  Didn’t want to miss football so grinders through two a days limping badly it hurt so bad.  Decided to have it done so I could be back for basketball at least.  Turns out I was back playing linebacker in three weeks but couldn’t cut well enough to play qb.  If I just did it immediately I may have been back for opener.

Point is if break is similar to chip I would try to play through it if I were him as surgeory takes him out for year anyway.  Probably all depends on if he can make it worse or not.