Penn St at Michigan game

PimpMario

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

After thinking about it, I think I want Michigan to win. That way we can lose to Penn State but still be rested as the 4 seed beat Michigan hopefully beat Ohio State in the tournament

If Michigan wins and we lose to PSU, then Michigan wins their final game we’ll be fifth seed. Michigan winning would be great only if we Sunday. 

18 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Not sure where you are getting this but I got him averaging 10.6 PPG since he got back..

Ah, you are correct.  The formatting got fouled up when I pasted it over here and I was looking at his percentage of the team's total points scored in each game.  Mea Culpa.

So picking a Mich/PSU favorite really comes down to which is more important:  a guaranteed 4 seed B1G tourney bye, or a guaranteed Tier 1 win.  

It's kind of a wash, but to play devil's advocate with the Michigan enthusiasts, some of the intangibles that might come with a PSU win:

1.  We'll be relieved to get the bye and likely play more loose.

2.  Michigan could still end up being a Tier 1 team, and definitely will be in the B1G tourney if we play them again.  

3.  The PSU win will look more impressive.  It would mean, when healthy, the only B1G teams that beat them down the stretch were us, MSU, and PU.  

4.  I wouldn't mind Michigan being a couple of games back, a 20-pt loss to us, and still a Tier 1 opportunity in the tournament.  If they lose to PSU and we beat PSU in the final week of the season, I'm not sure how they could be a "lock" and we wouldn't.  

5.  Rest is important in weekend tournaments.  Bye teams have a huge advantage.  

It's fun that this all matters.  

my 2 cents from the games of interest thread

Michigan 29/Penn State 76 - 6pm BTN Penn St. -4   I am going back and forth but currently lean Michigan.  One part of me doesn't want to play Michigan in the 4-5 game as they are so well coached.  Michigan would be favored similarly to Penn St over us in that game.  Within a point for sure.  I think the tie breaker here is the ludicrous Q1 perception.  If going to be playing equal type of team in 4-5 game it may as well be the one we are going to me more rewarded for beating in the metrics.  And the fact we would be playing them both twice, that part is a wash.   One possible underrated aspect of a Michigan win, is that Penn St. at large hopes would be really crushed.  It might make the game Sunday just a bit easier.  If we go 13-5 in the league and get a double bye, I don't see how they can leave us out.  That would be absurd.  So a potentially easier game to get that 13-5 is best.  Not saying it will necessarily be easier, but there is absolutely no way it would be harder, and could be MUCH easier if Penn St comes in knowing a tourney run is only realistic chance.  Add in the fact Penn St. is one of the teams we are competing with for a bid, and I think it is go Michigan!!  After typing this out, I am more confident that is the correct answer.

I'm reluctantly rooting for UM (because I don't like 'em) to win this UM-PSU game as well. Royal highlighted the main reasons. Primarily I want to wrap up the 4-seed as well as not wanting PSU to have any sustained momentum that they're getting 'in' without a Big Ten Tournament title.... so maybe (hard to fathom, but maybe?) the fictitious Lions will come to Lincoln & relax a bit on Sunday knowing that MSG is where they'll attain Madness.

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 minutes ago, royalfan said:

my 2 cents from the games of interest thread

Michigan 29/Penn State 76 - 6pm BTN Penn St. -4   I am going back and forth but currently lean Michigan.  One part of me doesn't want to play Michigan in the 4-5 game as they are so well coached.  Michigan would be favored similarly to Penn St over us in that game.  Within a point for sure.  I think the tie breaker here is the ludicrous Q1 perception.  If going to be playing equal type of team in 4-5 game it may as well be the one we are going to me more rewarded for beating in the metrics.  And the fact we would be playing them both twice, that part is a wash.   One possible underrated aspect of a Michigan win, is that Penn St. at large hopes would be really crushed.  It might make the game Sunday just a bit easier.  If we go 13-5 in the league and get a double bye, I don't see how they can leave us out.  That would be absurd.  So a potentially easier game to get that 13-5 is best.  Not saying it will necessarily be easier, but there is absolutely no way it would be harder, and could be MUCH easier if Penn St comes in knowing a tourney run is only realistic chance.  Add in the fact Penn St. is one of the teams we are competing with for a bid, and I think it is go Michigan!!  After typing this out, I am more confident that is the correct answer.

My thoughts exactly.  We're not losing either of these next two games, so might as well have Michigan rated as high as possible.  Now, if Penn State does win at home tonight, it still gives us the double bye, so it wouldn't completely suck.

Just now, WestOHusker said:

Mike Watkins on the ground in pain causing the game to stop. Reaching for his knee. Dead silence at the Bryce Jordan Center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, hopefully he is ok.  Hate to see any team lose an impact player at this point.  I'd much rather go toe to toe with them at full strength but sometimes those are the unfortunate breaks.