uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 30 - Indiana

uneblinstu

19 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

A win vs PSU and loss to Michigan in the tournament gives us 57 RPI. 

The opposite plus a loss to Michigan State gives us 59.

Do you guys think that enough?

For a reference point 56% of major conference teams with RPI 50-60 get in. We'd be on the higher side of that but I think its possible

32 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Isaiah always commits two bad fouls a game.  They are not always his fault, but they get him in trouble.   I think he got another butt foul tonight.

Roby seems to always get called for cheap fouls.    He is leading the team in fouls for sure.  Against Illinois smith jumps over him and Isaiah gets called for the foul.  Tonight Jordy hammers the shooter and Isaiah gets the foul.   Those bad calls really hurt when they end up forcing him to sit at critical times.   He has a history of silly reach in fouls but he seems to be getting better at reducing them lately and now he’s just getting some bad luck with bad calls. 

Another thing I’ve noticed in regards to Roby is that It seems like he is open quite a bit down low game after game and they fail to get him the ball for easy dunks as often as they could.   Tonight he was pointing to the hoop for an alley-oop during a transition down the court back to their basket and it went unnoticed.   Glynn seems to be best at finding him near the hoop , but it’s rare that  JPJ looks his way.   They seem not have the same chemistry  that he and Glynn have.    

Anyway he is getting better and better and he does so many things that aren’t recorded in the stats that help us win.  If we want to make some serious noise in the big ten tourney I think  Roby  will need to continue to step it up as he has lately and  stay out of foul trouble.  

Single Season Record

FREE THROWS MADE
1. Jack Moore (1980)...................................................... 184
2. Terran Petteway (2014).............................................. 167
3. Dave Hoppen (1985) .................................................. 164
4. Dave Hoppen (1984) .................................................. 158

5. James Palmer (2018)................................................. 150

8 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

Another thing I’ve noticed in regards to Roby is that It seems like he is open quite a bit down low game after game and they fail to get him the ball for easy dunks as often as they could.   

He can’t really post up at this point but he’s open on atleast a bakers dozen rolls per game and like wide open for a split second usually. It would be nice to see them cut back on the three pointers some in an effort to force feed those rolls 

8 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

Another thing I’ve noticed in regards to Roby is that It seems like he is open quite a bit down low game after game and they fail to get him the ball for easy dunks as often as they could.   Tonight he was pointing to the hoop for an alley-oop during a transition down the court back to their basket and it went unnoticed.   Glynn seems to be best at finding him near the hoop , but it’s rare that  JPJ looks his way.   They seem not have the same chemistry  that he and Glynn have.   

You're right, in this game he slipped down toward the basket several times and looked wide open but the other guys really had a hard time getting him the ball.  If they tried the direct pass, Indiana always seemed to get a hand on the ball and if they tried the over the top pass, it was too high, long or both.  Maybe they were consistently a split second late on the decision, but I think you have to give credit to Indiana as they mucked up the passing lanes pretty well and had pretty good pressure on the ball.

No comment about previous games regarding Roby, but in general, I feel like NU is not great at entry passes.  Might be because most of the time there is really no post-up presence in the game and the offense is not geared that way.  Jordy has been working hard the last few games, but in his typical minutes, there's really only a few chances.

I don't really care strongly about this bench mob stuff. We are winning and the team likes it...big whoop, right?  

Here's what I love about it though: even though this isn't the intent it's getting national talk.

If you're looking for little things like Marist winning a game or whatever here is another little thing that gets some eyeballs on us.

36 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He can’t really post up at this point but he’s open on atleast a bakers dozen rolls per game and like wide open for a split second usually. It would be nice to see them cut back on the three pointers some in an effort to force feed those rolls 

I disagree.  Isaiah has some of the best post moves on the team.

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Wins (Season)

1. 1990-91 - 26 (NCAA)

2. 1982-83 - 22 (NIT)

2. 1977-78 - 22 (NIT)

2. 1919-20 - 22

5. 2017-18 - 21

5. 1995-96 - 21 (NIT)

5. 1986-87 - 21 (NIT)

Wins (Not including post season)

1. 1990-91 - 26

2. 1919-20 - 22

3. 2017-18 - 21

3. 1977-78 - 21

26 is possible this year!  God that feels good to type.

6 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Just noticed that we shot only 59% from the line, not good overall but really bad considering I thought I heard the TV guy say we were 8 for 8 at one point midway through the second half.  Means we were 2 of 9 down stretch.

They've been a good FT shooting team most of conference play. I'm not overly concerned.

Just in the last minute, I think we were 0-6.  Palmer drew a foul call and went to the line and bricked both.  Then we got the offensive rebound and Taylor, I think, went to the line and missed both.  And then did we get a 2nd offensive rebound by Roby and he was fouled?  I know Roby went to the line next and I was thinking, OK, we got these now.  But no.  Roby misses both.   And I'm thinking thank goodness we're up 11.

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Wins (Season)

1. 1990-91 - 26 (NCAA)

2. 1982-83 - 22 (NIT)

2. 1977-78 - 22 (NIT)

2. 1919-20 - 22

5. 2017-18 - 21

5. 1995-96 - 21 (NIT)

5. 1986-87 - 21 (NIT)

Wins (Not including post season)

1. 1990-91 - 26

2. 1919-20 - 22

3. 2017-18 - 21

3. 1977-78 - 21

Actually two of the ‘90-‘91 wins came in Big 8 tournament, so that number should be 24.