Now What?

ATupe

The thing that couldn't happen happened.  Now what?  Let's say we come back and finish the season winning and finish 22-9.  Play Michigan in round 1 and get beat.  You're dead meat and we're celebrating an NIT birth.  I don't do NIT brackets and we shouldn't be happy about that.  We pissed down our leg today.

We go 22-9 and beat Michigan, get beat by a T3 team.  NIT.

We go 22-9 and beat Mich and T3 team, then I think we're in.  That would be 24-10.

When you live life on the edge, you have to win ALL of the games against tier 2 and below teams.  This was tier 3 fellas, this was exactly what the Dr. didn't order.  This loss will sting for the rest of the year, but the fact remains that we haven't turned the corner to beat the good teams consistently.  We didn't beat Kansas, we didn't beat Creighton, we pissed down our legs against Penn State, UCF, St. Johns and yes, Illinois.  

Do we really deserve it if we can't win ones like today when everything is on the line?  

This doesn't erase the progress, but it sure makes you wonder if we really have turned into a consistent winner or not.  I'm trying to stay positive, but man, this will test your patience.

Edited by ATupe

Why didn't you include Minnesota #1, Maryland, and Michigan?

We are still learning how to win.  Miles is actually .500 here.  I think making the Big Dance would help.  Especially,  not knowing who will be back next year.  I think recruiting would get an uptick.  If everyone that was suppose to be back comes back.  The NIT is not terrible.  A chance again to learn how to win.  Plus, give us some momentum.

Edited by brfrad

2 minutes ago, ATupe said:

I'll drink when I feel like celebrating.  And no, the NIT doesn't "do it" for me.  It shouldn't you either.

NCAA, NIT, or CBI, I'll still be there supporting the team.

But this isn't about NCAA or bust. We still have more opportunities to get there without having to make the Big Ten finals. If you want to give up on the NCAA dream now, go for it. But I'm still hanging on.

I really hope you get to enjoy a cold one this year!

35 minutes ago, ATupe said:

The thing that couldn't happen happened.  Now what?  Let's say we come back and finish the season winning and finish 22-9.  Play Michigan in round 1 and get beat.  You're dead meat and we're celebrating an NIT birth.  I don't do NIT brackets and we shouldn't be happy about that.  We pissed down our leg today.

We go 22-9 and beat Mich and T3 team, then I think we're in.  That would be 24-10.

When you live life on the edge, you have to win ALL of the games against tier 2 and below teams.  This was tier 3 fellas, this was exactly what the Dr. didn't order.  This loss will sting for the rest of the year, but the fact remains that we haven't turned the corner to beat the good teams consistently.  We didn't beat Kansas, we didn't beat Creighton, we pissed down our legs against Penn State, UCF, St. Johns and yes, Illinois.  

Do we really deserve it if we can't win ones like today when everything is on the line?  

This doesn't erase the progress, but it sure makes you wonder if we really have turned into a consistent winner or not.  I'm trying to stay positive, but man, this will test your patience.

I said we aren’t a bubble team today, but I literally meant as of today, because of how everyone on the outside sees us.

This isn’t an NIT team because we lost to Illinois on the road. Many teams struggle here and there. You are over exaggerating.

a month or two ago you’d be happy where they are now, now 9 losses to 20 wins is a disappointment? Give me a break.

It sucks losing, this will take us off the map for a bit, but it’s not over. Also, an NIT birth, with the preseason expectations, is not a disappointment.  If you’ve watched Nebrasketball long at all, you take what positives you get. 

41 minutes ago, ATupe said:

Also, looks like you just showed up when it started going good. If you are a true Nebraska basketball fan, you’d be wis to temper your expectations.

48 minutes ago, ATupe said:

And the sky isn't falling and the sun will come up tommorrow.

13 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

I said we aren’t a bubble team today, but I literally meant as of today, because of how everyone on the outside sees us.

This isn’t an NIT team because we lost to Illinois on the road. Many teams struggle here and there. You are over exaggerating.

a month or two ago you’d be happy where they are now, now 9 losses to 20 wins is a disappointment? Give me a break.

It sucks losing, this will take us off the map for a bit, but it’s not over. Also, an NIT birth, with the preseason expectations, is not a disappointment.  If you’ve watched Nebrasketball long at all, you take what positives you get. 

No, actually I told many of my friends at the beginning of the season that Miles had to make the tourney this year.  It's been long enough guys.  Complacency is not the way to progress, I've always preached that to those around me.  We had a golden opportunity to win a winnable game, and didn't do it.  Call it what it is, a severely damaging loss that a great team doesn't lose.  Now, the only way out to a season we all should expect is to win our next 4 and slip into the dance.  It's not like we're expecting a 4 seed here, we'd be happy to slip in as team #68.

3 minutes ago, ATupe said:

No, actually I told many of my friends at the beginning of the season that Miles had to make the tourney this year.  It's been long enough guys.  Complacency is not the way to progress, I've always preached that to those around me.  We had a golden opportunity to win a winnable game, and didn't do it.  Call it what it is, a severely damaging loss that a great team doesn't lose.  Now, the only way out to a season we all should expect is to win our next 4 and slip into the dance.  It's not like we're expecting a 4 seed here, we'd be happy to slip in as team #68.

I'm not sure what the status of Miles' job has to do with anything right now. There's still a minimum of 3 more games to go this season.

And you're saying his job lies in this Illinois game? Please.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I truly hope fans have enjoyed this season.  I’m usually really disappointed about games like this.  However we have a 20 win team on our hands who can beat anyone in the league.  Fellas... don’t get so caught up in NCAA or bust that you forget to enjoy life a little.

A good post as far as fans.  I'm curious to see how the players respond.   Does the air come out of the balloon, or do we fight back.   Will be interesting to see.  Could go either way.  

Edited by HB

11 minutes ago, HB said:

A good post as far as fans.  I'm curious to see how the players respond.   Does he air come out of the balloon, or do we fight back.   Will be interesting to see.  Could go either way.  

Yeah.  Personally... I think there is no 1-1 in the next two.  It’ll go one of two ways.  2-0 or 0-2.

In years previous I would have said the latter.  This year though.  With this team.  I’m calling 2-0.

14 minutes ago, ATupe said:

I've been told all year, that Purdue is a great team.  They must not be because they lost to Wisconsin on the road.  Villanova is not a great team because they lost to St John's at home.  Losses like today are going to happen.  Teams are not going to be sharp all 31 games in a year.  This year should be the expectation every year.  We should be talked about in the NCAA tournament every year.  That's the spot I want to see this program get to.  

You must be a new fan.  In case you haven't noticed, we have never won an NCAA tournament game.  We have 1 appearance in nearly 20 years.  Just enjoy the ride.

Part of being a Nebraska fan. Expect to get your heart torn out. But it makes he highs so much higher!!

Ive lived in Missouri for a dozen years.  Watched the second half of the Mizzou lost yesterday and my comment was ‘what a Mizzou way to lose’. My Mizzou fan buddies agreed. Shoot 40% from the FT line. Miss some bunnies. Get a steal. Get fouled no call and throw in an offensive foul somewhere in the last minute.  If you aren’t a top 10 program in basketball every fan base ‘celebrates’ their bad luck.  Even blue blood like Kentucky (Laetner) and Kansas/Duke (losing to 14 seeds or whatever) have their nightmare moments. 

As a Nebraska fan I hope for the best but expect the worst and that is why I usually find myself yelling at the tv whether we are 20-8 or 12-16. Cheer them on. Eventually the chips will fall on the right side!!!