uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 29 - @ Illinois

uneblinstu

7 hours ago, dskurz said:

I agree that last three of Glynn's was nothing but being selfish. He had Copeland set up on the wing for a much higher percentage shot. That and Palmer's 1 on 4 fast break were killers. That hero ball at the end was disappointing, and something we haven't really done in past pressure situations. 

One pet peeve i have with Palmer is he never passes the ball on fast breaks even when we have numbers. Ive seen countless 2 on 1, 3 on 2, and even 3 on 1s where hes leading the break and refuses to dish it to the man trailing. 

Could be remembering it wrong but it seems like it happens alot with him. 

Not a peeve when he usually takes the Euro step and makes them, sometimes while being fouled. Freezing drizzle this morning. Perfect for my mood. Nothing to do but get back on the horse and realize Indiana and Penn state can both beat us if we don't bring the "A" game. Tuesday will be a character check. I think this team will realize it, and in the long run consider the Illinois game to have been the necessary "wake up call" we needed at this point. That used up my rationalization quota for today. 

Edited by jimmykc

I need to stop going on HOL when the basketball team plays. Now it’s “fire Miles” everywhere and said it’s ncaa’s or bust. The damned team was picked 13th in the league preseason. 

Dont worry, our 0-7 NCAA history, but open checkbook, will get us Callipari.

No one ever wants to be happy it seems.

Edited by northwillriseagain

I mean, if that FBI probe stuff comes out soon, Cal (and a variety of other blue blood coaches) may be available and interested in a coaching job. Our wins may not count for a few years, but hey, no one's perfect, right?

26 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Yeah Watson is struggling but was he the reason we gave up 4+ backdoor lobs?

This seemed like a team effort with the lack of focus on defense. 

We're a little new to winning so you have to wonder how much we overlooked the Illini going into this prep.

Or Taylor just completely letting his guy loose on an inbounds play & him nailing a three.  We weren't ourselves defensively for whatever reason.  Far too many mental lapses.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Another thing to remember is that we are very fortunate to be 1 and 1 against Illinois this year.  Very.  Fate kind of has a funny way of evening things out.  If I had to chooses one of the games to lose, it’s be the road game.

Yep, that's how I have chosen to look at the situation. And it's tough to win on the road, particularly on Senior Night.

10 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It doesn't look like the offense was the problem

Nebraska's offense in the final 6 minutes was horrendous. While the Huskers made 7 of 10 on two-point shots in the 1st half (clearly not enough 2-pt shots, but I digress), it was in the 2nd half that NU was a paltry 6-17 on twos. And many were forced attempts that had no one there to rebound. I seem to recall Palmer tried going 1 on 3 quite a few times (so it would seem that at least one to two other guys had to be 'open'). Watson threw up shots that he hasn't consistently made for a while now... It was not good basketball in the last 70 seconds, particularly.

1 hour ago, northwillriseagain said:

I need to stop going on HOL when the basketball team plays. Now it’s “fire Miles” everywhere and said it’s ncaa’s or bust. The damned team was picked 13th in the league preseason. 

No one ever wants to be happy it seems.

This board has its share of stale jokes, head-scratching takes and incompetent trolls, but god love it, it has an uplifting tone of optimism. A (pick a number)-game winning streak is always just around the corner here. HOL is another world.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We looked flustered the last minute and a half.  We’ve been in a lot of close games, but we, for the most part, haven’t had any situations where we have had to be the hunter.  In a lot of our close games, we are usually the hunted.  Might be a good thing for the team in the long run.

Agreed. Sometimes a 'reality check' kick-starts a team to fight to the finish.

I heard a lot of criticism on the number of 3's we shot and I was wishing we loved the rim more but 10-26 is like going 15-26 on two's for 57.6% so I don't think it was too bad.  I think the issues on our end were:

Defensive lapses especially in the 1st half

Empty possessions when we got up 52-47 (14 of 18 empties to end the game)

Playing panicked from about 1:45 on when we did not need to be

Illinois' first half shooting was remarkable and uncharacteristically so.

18 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I heard a lot of criticism on the number of 3's we shot and I was wishing we loved the rim more but 10-26 is like going 15-26 on two's for 57.6% so I don't think it was too bad.  I think the issues on our end were:

Yeah, pretty much. Nebraska went from about 6 minutes 'til 19 ticks on the clock without a field goal. That's how a team loses to a team like Illinois.

17 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I agree with these and I'd add poor FT shooting....just seemed like an overall lack of focus for our guys.  It wasn't just one guy, but the whole team.  Roby seemed to be the one guy who brought his A game from the jump but even he had some unnecessary fouls (one was a terrible call) that took him off the floor for some important minutes.  He's turned into such a great rim protector and rebounder for us that we need him on the floor as often as possible.

Agreed that the empty possessions when we were up by 5 were huge. Defensive lapses gave them too many points as well. That being said, I think our lack of patience on offense really hurt us.  We didn't make Illinois pay for their aggressiveness. If we had moved the ball from side to side and made them play defense for 15-20 seconds, I am convinced we would have gotten dunks and easy shots (we missed enough easy ones anyway). It might not have happened on the first back cut or even the second back cut,  but we didn't move them off their spots or get them scrambling like I felt we could have. Not blaming this on Miles. You could tell he was frustrated, but I bet when they watch the tape and see all of the opportunities we missed, it will be quite painful. 

Not giving up on this team. Regroup and win the next two and see what happens in the tournament. 

Thought I'd look at our possessions after we go ahead 52-47 with about 13 1/2 minutes to go - obviously it had to be pretty bad as we scored only 14 points in the final 13 1/2

(Number in parentheses is time left on shot clock) (E = empty possession)

E – Gill stripped during layup in transition, OFF REB, Palmer miss 15-ft fadeaway (19)

E – Palmer miss jab step 3 (17), OFF REB, Gill travel (5)

E – Watson miss 15-ft jumper in transition, OFF REB, Palmer miss layup (24)

Ill 3-pt play, 52-50, 10:27 to go

E – Allen miss 3-pt, inside/out (13), OFF REB, Palmer miss tip try

Ill 3-pt shot, wide open, 52-53, 9:54 to go

E – Palmer miss NBA 3-pt (4)

2 – Jordy jump hook in lane (5), assist Copeland, NU 54-53

Ill 3-pt shot, wide open, 54-56, 8:07 to go

3 – Jordy layup in lane (8), assist Taylor, made FT, NU 57-56

Ill driving layup, contested, 57-58, 7:15 to go

1 – Taylor fouled on drive (8), 1/2 FTs, tie 58-58

3 – Watson 3-pt (1), assist Palmer, NU 61-58

Ill driving layup, made FT, 61-61 tie, 5:37 to go

1 – Copeland fouled on drive (18), 1/2 FTs, NU 62-61

E – Watson miss driving layup (12)

Ill 2 FTs, 62-63, 4:36 to play

E – Palmer miss driving layup (14)

1 – Copeland miss 5-ft jumper (4), OFF REB, Roby 1/2 FTs, tie 63-63

Ill layup off OFF REB, 63-65, 2:38 to play

1 – Copeland fouled at rim (20), 1/2 FT, 64-65

Ill fade away 10-ft jumper, 64-67, 1:55 to play

E – Palmer turnover, pass hits rim goes out of bounds

E – Watson miss 3-pt in transition

E – Palmer miss runner in lane in transition, OFF REB, Cope miss layup

That was basically it, as we then had to foul. Thoughts:

• We actually scored on 7 of our the 17 possessions, which isn't great, but not a killer
  • Only 2 turnovers on 17 possessions, again not awful, especially against Illinois
  • Most of the shots weren't that bad, until the final 3 possessions on the list - all 3 of those were awful possessions, almost felt like we were pressing/panicking a bit there
  • Most frustrating is that we had SIX offensive rebounds in the final 13:30 and scored 1 pt off of them - that will kill you
  • And after Jordy's 3-pt play, we went 4/8 on FTs - those 1-pt possessions were costly
  • Perhaps most telling in this stretch, Palmer didn't score till he had the driving layup with 19 seconds left - during this key stretch, he was 0-7 with a turnover with no FT attempts - not typical for him at all, as he's been so good in this part of the game during the win streak

The 5 possessions after we took the 52-47 lead - missed 8 straight shots and didn't score off of 4 offensive rebounds. That stretch probably cost us the game.

We had a lot of shots in the lane that we've been hitting during this win streak that just popped out. Couple that with the missed FTs, and maybe it just boils down to that it wasn't our night. But we still could've overcome that with more focus early/a better start defensively.

Everything's still on the table, need to take care of business this week at home vs 2 hot teams

Edited by throwback

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

We looked flustered the last minute and a half.  We’ve been in a lot of close games, but we, for the most part, haven’t had any situations where we have had to be the hunter.  In a lot of our close games, we are usually the hunted.  Might be a good thing for the team in the long run.

Yep.  They seemed to really panic the last minute+.  Playing a bit too fast, quick shots, forced shots, etc.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

The 5 possessions after we took the 52-47 lead - missed 8 straight shots and didn't score off of 4 offensive rebounds. That stretch probably cost us the game.

I was exchanging texts with family members during the game and said "The extended drought at 52-47 will cost NU".  Get the lead to 9 or 10 there and the game is probably well in hand, although the poor FT shooting may have still bit them in the arse.