Nebraska(20-8) vs. Illinois(12-15) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

28 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Agreed, this loss wouldn’t have been a huge deal if we had big wins. But not having big wins required us to not have bad losses. 

Is this a bad loss? Conference road game on their senior night?

The only knock on us is that we don't have any Q1 wins. This game doesn't change that.

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Took 52-47 lead with just over 10 minutes left and Illinois had only scored 4 points to that point in 2nd half. Huskers had numerous chances to build big lead but poor shot selection and turnovers kept us from building on that lead. Kept hollering at tv to switch to a zone late in 1st half since they were tearing up the man to man. 

Awful shot selection. Like we were trying to go up 15 on a single possession. Good shot selection and we pry extend the lead to 10 at some point.  Instead we never extended it 

48 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Let's put some context around this loss. 

1. It was a BIG conference road game.

2. It was Illinois senior night.

3. This was our first loss since Jan 22...almost a month.

4. We had already won our previous 3 road games.

5. From a resume perspective this game doesn't really hurt us that much. 

6. We still own the 4 seed and a double-bye in the BIG.

Reality was that it was going to be very difficult for us to stay on our current win streak. If it had to end I would rather it ended in this game.

This was hardly a "disgusting loss".

The only way this game hurts us was in the perceived notion that we needed to pile up wins.

It was a disgusting loss in that they shot 80% from 3 with their 4 and 5 man and some hero shots in the first half.  We missed a ton of ft. Missed a ton of bunnies and had awful shot selection at key moments in the game. 

As far a resume, no. Not a disgusting loss. They did beat Missouri On a neutral court. But nobody talks about that. The SEC is up 

Edited by TZAHL

4 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Is this a bad loss? Conference road game on their senior night?

The only knock on us is that we don't have any Q1 wins. This game doesn't change that.

I agree it’s not as bad of a loss as Illinois’ record and RPI imply, but I think as Nebraska fans we kind of over emphasize the difficulty of winning on the road because usually we’re just so terrible at it. Bubble teams are typically .500 or better on the road, so winning the ones against the conference bottom dwellers should be expected. But yeah, in my mind it’s not a bad loss because Illinois isn’t your typical 13th place team (they have talent), but the selection committee will probably view it as one.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

1 hour ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I agree it’s not as bad of a loss as Illinois’ record and RPI imply, but I think as Nebraska fans we kind of over emphasize the difficulty of winning on the road because usually we’re just so terrible at it. Bubble teams are typically .500 or better on the road, so winning the ones against the conference bottom dwellers should be expected. But yeah, in my mind it’s not a bad loss because Illinois isn’t your typical 13th place team (they have talent), but the selection committee will probably view it as one.

The committee will see it for what it is; our only Q3 loss against a conference foe on the road for senior night.

7 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

The committee will see it for what it is; our only Q3 loss against a conference foe on the road for senior night.

Hope so. But having been at the game, I can tell you it was far from a hostile environment. You could hear a pin drop for the first 38 minutes. Fortunately that’s not something the committee will be aware of.