Nebraska(20-8) vs. Illinois(12-15) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Took 52-47 lead with just over 10 minutes left and Illinois had only scored 4 points to that point in 2nd half. Huskers had numerous chances to build big lead but poor shot selection and turnovers kept us from building on that lead. Kept hollering at tv to switch to a zone late in 1st half since they were tearing up the man to man. 

Edited by rr52

At this point the only way Nebraska makes the NCAA Tournament is to win the Big Ten post-season tournament. Even though we remain in fourth place (with the tiebreaker over Michigan) this loss coupled with Michigan's win over Ohio State has killed our NCAA tournament hopes. As for the NIT we will likely be a #1 seed which means we would have home games in each of the first three rounds as long as we continue to win, before going to NYC for the semis and finals.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Damaging loss-- Yes

Season Ender-- No

While true, the damage from this one could be severe. If you are going to talk quality wins, you also have to take bad losses into consideration and Nebraska just got beat by the worst team in the conference. 

I was already pretty concerned about the resume. Now, I don’t think we get an invite unless we win out and make the semis of  the B1G tournament. 

Last 7 games in the eyes of bracketologists:

Nebraska wins...."Yeah, whatever."

Nebraska wins...."Yeah, ok."

Nebraska wins...."Ok, fine."

Nebraska wins...."Uh huh, whatever."

Nebraska wins...."Yeah, fine."

Nebraska loses...."WELL, SEE?  CLEARLY THEY'RE NO GOOD.  I KNEW IT ALL ALONG.  THEY'RE NOT EVEN A BUBBLE TEAM."

I've always thought 23 was the magic number.  Get to 23 wins and I think we're in.  Today's loss just gives them no margin for error.  Need to get the next 2, hope Michigan wins out then beat them in the tourney and I think it will be enough.  I know it hasnt looked like it the last few days but there are still a lot of lossesout there for bubble teams.

6 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Last 7 games in the eyes of bracketologists:

Nebraska wins...."Yeah, ok."

Nebraska wins...."Ok, fine."

Nebraska wins...."Uh huh, whatever."

Nebraska wins...."Yeah, fine."

Nebraska loses...."WELL, SEE?  CLEARLY THEY'RE NO GOOD.  I KNEW IT ALL ALONG.  THEY'RE NOT EVEN A BUBBLE TEAM."

This team clearly is good enough for the tournament, but the way the rankings and how it’ll be construed, this will no longer be a bubble team(for now). 

Nebraska has been behind the 8 ball nationally with perception, and the “Big 10 is down” talk is on every article with the the big 10 involved has been infuriating. 

Let's put some context around this loss. 

1. It was a BIG conference road game.

2. It was Illinois senior night.

3. This was our first loss since Jan 22...almost a month.

4. We had already won our previous 3 road games.

5. From a resume perspective this game doesn't really hurt us that much. 

6. We still own the 4 seed and a double-bye in the BIG.

Reality was that it was going to be very difficult for us to stay on our current win streak. If it had to end I would rather it ended in this game.

This was hardly a "disgusting loss".

The only way this game hurts us was in the perceived notion that we needed to pile up wins.

34 minutes ago, aksarben said:

At this point the only way Nebraska makes the NCAA Tournament is to win the Big Ten post-season tournament. Even though we remain in fourth place (with the tiebreaker over Michigan) this loss coupled with Michigan's win over Ohio State has killed our NCAA tournament hopes. As for the NIT we will likely be a #1 seed which means we would have home games in each of the first three rounds as long as we continue to win, before going to NYC for the semis and finals.

So tired of this take already. You or anyone else has no idea if this is really the case. I might be wrong but really think 23 wins still gets us in. Things change when you are on the bubble and there is time left. Extreme positions suck, in politics, religion, and most definitely bubble discussions.

Edited by Art Vandalay

I still feel the committee will look at the Minnesota win in December as a Q1 or Q2 win.  That would give us a 1 - 6 record in Q1 and a 4 - 2 record in Q2.  If we win out, we have a shot at a PSU Q2 win.  A win in the tournament,  that resume isn't awful.  Especially, when you consider 3 of the Q1 losses are Q1 games at home.  A 4th with Creighton on the line.