The Big Ten is Down

HuskerFever

Since the committee loves to look at things in quadrants, here's a look at how awful the Big Ten is doing in the Top 25 rankings by quadrant (Top 25 split into fourths):

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Total
Big Ten 2 1 0 1 4
Big East 2 0 0 0 2
ACC 1 2 1 0 4
AAC 1 0 0 1 2
Big 12 0 1 1 2 4
SEC 0 1 1 1 3
WCC 0 1 1 0 2
Pac-12 0 0 1 1 2
A10 0 0 1 0 1
MWC 0 0 0 1 1
Total 6 6 6 7 25

Too bad this conference is garbage being tied with the most Q1 teams, tied with the most Q1+Q2 teams, 1 of 4 conferences with any Q1 teams, and tied with the most overall ranked teams. Take away the RPI system and we look like a pretty strong conference.

RPI's weakness is that it's, to put it in Elmer Fudd-speak. overweighted. 

That the first-third of a season can be the primary determinant of how you're team or conference is going to be perceived the rest of the year is brutal. 

On the other hand, it's not often that a conference like the B1G has such a gross non-conference performance. We're being punished pretty hard for it. 

The good thing about the Toruney system is that, in the end, we'll all know the truth of the proposition. If we're better than the rpi system thinks we are, the teams who do get in will prove it. And maybe spur a discussion on how seriously to take rpi in the future, or if it's a system that has important exceptions that need to be accounted for. 

If we flop, then we'll also know everyone else was right and we just couldn't lay off the Kool Aid. 

Not much consolation, but like all questions, this, too, will get answered in the end. 

I watch games from every conference. Every conference has many flaws. 

If its because of the non conference record/teams played, that’s one thing. Problem I have is many of the “good” conferences good wins were against fools gold in the non conference.

im just tired of seeing 16-10, 17-9 teams with 6-8, 5-9 Conference records being ranked and high seeds.

itll all work itself out in the tournament when those conferences fall on their faces once again, but it won’t mean much as a #1 NIT seed.

I feel or think that the offical RPI also shouldn't be shown until maybe some teams have played some.  If your RPI is kind of bad to start the year it makes it hard to move up.  

I know that some teams will always be in the 300's and others in the 200's, but maybe some of the teams like us would have had a better starting number if things could have layed out first then the RPI figured out.

Or maybe that would be impossible, I don't know.

16 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I feel or think that the offical RPI also shouldn't be shown until maybe some teams have played some.  If your RPI is kind of bad to start the year it makes it hard to move up.  

I know that some teams will always be in the 300's and others in the 200's, but maybe some of the teams like us would have had a better starting number if things could have layed out first then the RPI figured out.

Or maybe that would be impossible, I don't know.

Valid point. It's almost like there needs to be a reset after conference season and either average the two or find a proper weighting for them.

I for one am quite tired of the "B1G is down" narrative. While it's possible the conference may not be as good in comparison to past years, this story has been pushed out repeatedly by the national media until it became "truth". Nearly everyone now just accepts it as fact. 

@cipsucks is right...all the Huskers can do is keep winning. 

2 hours ago, demone said:

I for one am quite tired of the "B1G is down" narrative. While it's possible the conference may not be as good in comparison to past years, this story has been pushed out repeatedly by the national media until it became "truth". Nearly everyone now just accepts it as fact. 

@cipsucks is right...all the Huskers can do is keep winning. 

Here, here!

It’s like everyone thinking that Oklahoma is all-world.  Turns out they aren’t.  But those early perceptions are almost set in stone.  And everyone still believes the Big XII is a great conference, based in part on Oklahoma’s no-longer-accurate stature.  

We're at that time of year when some teams go hot and other teams cool down. Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the teams with at least a W5 streak or a L5 streak. Here's the results:

Team Conference Winning Streak
Vermont Am East W15
Grambling SWAC W11
Michigan State Big Ten W10
Charleston Colonial W10
Weber State Big Sky W9
Middle Tennessee C-USA W9
Rider MAAC W9
Murray State Ohio Valley W9
Gonzaga WCC W9
St. Bonaventure A10 W8
Idaho Big Sky W6