What If? Play-in game

ATupe

A question for debate:  If we make the "play-in" game and win.  Does that count as breaking our NCAA tournament winless streak?  I think we should have to win a game in the actual 64 team tournament to qualify as breaking the streak.  What do you all think?

Also, I've seen some on the board speculating that we can make it even if we lose a game down the stretch in the regular season.  Let's make one thing clear, anything less than a win-out finish to the regular season and disregard my above question.  It will be NIT time again.  From everything I've been reading, that may not even be enough, we might have to get one in the B10 tourney too.  

Edited by ATupe

I would say, yes, the play in game counts. And no, I don't think we need to win out in the regular season if we win 2 or more in the B10 tourney. But I think the speculation that we do have to win them all helps to keep the team from the mental let down which inevitably accompanies a team which realizes it will be in the NCAA tourney however it may finish the regular season.

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

I would say, yes, the play in game counts. And no, I don't think we need to win out in the regular season if we win 2 or more in the B10 tourney. But I think the speculation that we do have to win them all helps to keep the team from the mental let down which inevitably accompanies a team which realizes it will be in the NCAA tourney however it may finish the regular season.

So you're saying if we stumble in one in the regular season, but make the B10 championship game, we're in.  Duh!  

Winning out is by far a more attainable outcome.

I guess when one longs for the worst they can't be let down.

Does anyone find value in these posts that lay out THIS MUST HAPPEN OR ELSE threads that get started?

Like the guy who sits behind you at a game and gripes about every single thing that goes wrong is a fan...he's showing up at the games....but how much is that enhancing your experience?

It would not count for me. Also we need 23 wins especially if we lose in the regular season as the tournament win would be tier 1. I would say this is a good team for a play in game. We are very good in 1 day turn around sand will have over a week of rest before starting the big dance. Oh and we’re good:)

I agree it’d feel slightly inauthentic, but is an 11 vs 11 game all that much different than an 8 vs 9 game? It’d count in the record books and I’d count it in my book as well. And if we lose the 6 vs 11 game? I guess we’d just have a new goal for next year: reach the round of 32.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

7 hours ago, ATupe said:

A question for debate:  If we make the "play-in" game and win.  Does that count as breaking our NCAA tournament winless streak?  I think we should have to win a game in the actual 64 team tournament to qualify as breaking the streak.  What do you all think?

Also, I've seen some on the board speculating that we can make it even if we lose a game down the stretch in the regular season.  Let's make one thing clear, anything less than a win-out finish to the regular season and disregard my above question.  It will be NIT time again.  From everything I've been reading, that may not even be enough, we might have to get one in the B10 tourney too.  

You must not have read Rasmussen's lengthy dissertation as selection committee chair.  Your outlook is way too negative 

Edited by HB

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Sighhhh....say it now, and keep repeating; one game at a time.  Win - advance. 

We have been playing post season ball for the past three weeks.  Win - advance.

Yeah.  And it’s good practice for later to be in a need-to-win mode.  Michigan St. today is probably an example of what happens when a team thinks they’ve got things in the bag.

This is a list of the tournament since it started :

• 1939–1950: 8 teams
  • 1951–1952: 16 teams
  • 1953–1974: varied between 22 and 25 teams
  • 1975–1978: 32 teams
  • 1979: 40 teams
  • 1980–1982: 48 teams
  • 1983: 52 teams (four play-in games before the tournament)
  • 1984: 53 teams (five play-in games before the tournament)
  • 1985–2000: 64 teams
  • 2001–2010: 65 teams 
  • 2011–present: 68 teams

I would think that all those teams from 53-84 all thought any game they won counted as a win in the tournament.

A perfect way to describe if us winning a play-in game “counts” is letting go of balloons after a husker field goal balloon. Most people are just tired of carrying the balloon around and don’t want to wait for the real deal. 

Edited by cjbowbros

6 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

A perfect way to describe if us winning a play-in game “counts” is letting go of balloons after a husker field goal balloon. Most people are just tired of carrying the balloon around and don’t want to wait for the real deal. 

Especially since it's like one of those games where we don't score until the 2nd Quarter and people have been holding the balloons since pre-game.