Could Central Florida end up our biggest disappointment

hhctony

1 hour ago, hhctony said:

If we win that game we trade West Virginia (29) for Marist (326) and then we trade Long Beach State (if we lose, West Virginia) for a second St. John's game. Anyone who plays with those RPI gizmos figure out how the would effect our non-conference SOS? I shutter to think about it.

Assuming we lost to WVU and beat St. John's, our RPI would be about 0.0104 points better, which would put us into 41st. So yeah, that's a significant impact.

It would have actually decreased slightly if we were to lose to St. John's, though. We'd be 55th. So it depends if you think we would have beaten them in the rematch.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

I made this same post a bit back and I agree with it still. The UCF loss was doubly bad. It was a beatable team, albeit basically a home game for them, but the loser's bracket in that tournament was a massive drop in quality that is haunting our every step now. 

Many here said it at the time: we were better off beating them and losing the next two to quality teams than going 2-1 against outright cannon fodder. 

Since we don't have many losses anyay, and all of our losses were to teams as good if not better than us (except for, arguably STJ and UCF--arguably), you can point to any one of the close ones as critical, given the effect each has had on our gaudy tier-1 futility score. And that really is our biggest weakness, and we have to account for it. We just really haven't upset anyone other than MN and Mich. 

33 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

So it depends if you think we would have beaten them in the rematch.

Marcus LoVett was still with the team at the time and they were playing at a very high level so while you can't say for sure what would have happened, I don't think it's likely we would have won the rematch.  But, wasn't there some discussion that had we played them a second time that game wouldn't have counted for RPI purposes anyway or something?  I seem to recall something to that effect.

2 hours ago, hhctony said:

If we win that game we trade West Virginia (29) for Marist (326) and then we trade Long Beach State (if we lose, West Virginia) for a second St. John's game. Anyone who plays with those RPI gizmos figure out how the would effect our non-conference SOS? I shutter to think about it.

Let's assume we win out in the regular season.  Right now, if we do that our RPI/SOS is predicted to be 43/101.  Had we beat UCF and played WVU/St Johns our RPI/SOS would predicted to be 43/82 with a loss to St Johns.  With a win vs St Johns that changes to 29/82.  So, a pretty big difference in terms of SOS.  But, had we not taken care of business against St Johns the second time around our RPI would be around the same.  But, a win vs St Johns we are talking about 10+ spot difference in the RPI. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Marcus LoVett was still with the team at the time and they were playing at a very high level so while you can't say for sure what would have happened, I don't think it's likely we would have won the rematch.  But, wasn't there some discussion that had we played them a second time that game wouldn't have counted for RPI purposes anyway or something?  I seem to recall something to that effect.

I agree that we probably wouldn't have won that game, so the UCF loss probably wasn't as disastrous as it could have been. As for the bolded piece, I've never heard of anything like that. Pretty sure both games would count.

11 minutes ago, khoock said:

Anybody wanna take a gander on how a win versus Kansas would have helped our RPI??

I think that one hurts more bc we actually had a chance to win. UCF took it to us from the start and was in control the whole game.

What is dumb about RPI...is that it does not matter who you beat...your RPI would be the same if you beat KU at home, but lost to Delaware state at home....

obviously if you add any additional win at home, your RPI improves the same amount....

14 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

What is dumb about RPI...is that it does not matter who you beat...your RPI would be the same if you beat KU at home, but lost to Delaware state at home....

obviously if you add any additional win at home, your RPI improves the same amount....

This. Although this is one aspect of RPI that I don't mind. I'm okay with the fact that a win vs Kansas combined with a loss vs Delaware State is of the same value as a loss vs Kansas combined with a win vs Delaware State.

To answer @khoock 's question, we would be approximately 36th in RPI if we would have beaten Kansas. What a difference one shot makes. We'd easily be in right now and probably a 7 or 8 seed.

And similarly, if instead we kept the KU game as a loss, but changed one of our road losses to a win we'd be in 43rd.

21 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Not true. It accounts for your opponent's winning percentage, and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage.  So unless each opponent, as well as their opponents, have the exact same records, it absolutely matters.

49 minutes ago, khoock said:

Anybody wanna take a gander on how a win versus Kansas would have helped our RPI??

I think that one hurts more bc we actually had a chance to win. UCF took it to us from the start and was in control the whole game.

Again, assuming we win out...a win vs KU would have improved our RPI by roughly 19 spots.  Our predicted RPI would be #24 right now and a sure lock for the NCAA tournament. 

50 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm not a rear view mirror guy, but since we're playing this game, what would our RPI be if Palmer had missed the game winning three against Illinois? 

Again, (thanks Doc), just win the frickin' games ahead, Huskers!

I actually thought of the same thing. We can't be too mad about KU since we did have the Illinois buzzer beater. If we would have lost to U of I, we'd be about 66th.

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

Not true. It accounts for your opponent's winning percentage, and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage.  So unless each opponent, as well as their opponents, have the exact same records, it absolutely matters.

Not sure if you guys are on the same page about the question, but @Blindcheck is correct. The RPI would be the same. Only thing  thatchanges it is whether it's on the road or at home.