uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 28- Maryland

Huskerpapa

So many great plays/performances per usual, but I want to single out a couple things that may get lost in the shuffle.

Palmer's offense saved the game, obviously, but his defense on Huerter was tremendous - he really competed on that end and shut down one of the league's best offensive players.

Along those same lines, I know Watson didn't have a great offensive game, but his defense on Cowan also was tremendous. Cowan has been so good of late, but Glynn kept him in check ... and came up with the huge blocked shot when it was a 1 pt game with 1 minute to go.

Big win to collect when we definitely didn't play our best - let's get 3 more + several in the postseason!

Edited by throwback

- Tale of two halves.  We played tentative and nervous the first half.  We played aggressive and spirited in the second half.

- Glynn struggled (again) on offense.  Missed bunnies could have been costly.  He played great defense though...I understand he played on an injured foot.

- Isaac started out strong, was feeling it...and we pulled him from the game WTH?

- James was feeling it and going off in the second half...and we pulled him WTF??  Miles admitted after the game that this was the call of a specific assistant coach.  Hmm.

- Interesting that we chose to play straight up defense in order to stop the three.  Despite a lot of angst, it worked.

- Jordy needs to stop the 'turn the ball over and then foul to try to make up for it' disease.  We could have used him a bunch more in that game.

- Roby MIA in the first half, but man-oh-man did he make up for it in the second half.

- Evan played a very steadying role.

- Anton played good D and made some timely shots.

- Isaac played well.  I thought he would get a double-double like Isaiah.

- But oh man, when James started to feel it, he LIT UP the joint. 

- Missed free throws drove me crazy BUT, big makes down the stretch.

Great win men!

8 minutes ago, throwback said:

So many great plays/performances per usual, but I want to single out a couple things that may get lost in the shuffle.

Palmer's offense saved the game, obviously, but his defense on Huerter was tremendous - he really competed on that end and shut down one of the league's best offensive players.

Along those same lines, I know Watson didn't have a great offensive game, but his defense on Cowan also was tremendous. Cowan has been so good of late, but Glynn kept him in check ... and came up with the huge blocked shot when it was a 1 pt game with 1 minute to go.

Big win to collect when we definitely didn't play our best - let's get 3 more + several in the postseason!

The Refs generally swallowed their whistles all night long which is OK by me. However, they had some really awful calls and no calls. For instance, why wasn't #10 for Maryland hit with a "T" for coming over to the Husker huddle after Palmer's 1st half dunk and the subsequent Maryland timeout. I know he got run over by Watson and perhaps Watson should have been called for a foul. But Watson's thing wasn't flagrant. The Maryland player had no business heading toward the Husker bench and should have been rung up.

6 minutes ago, KZRider said:

The Refs generally swallowed their whistles all night long which is OK by me. However, they had some really awful calls and no calls. For instance, why wasn't #10 for Maryland hit with a "T" for coming over to the Husker huddle after Palmer's 1st half dunk and the subsequent Maryland timeout. I know he got run over by Watson and perhaps Watson should have been called for a foul. But Watson's thing wasn't flagrant. The Maryland player had no business heading toward the Husker bench and should have been rung up.

I thought Glynn was called for a foul...hence the time out?  But I agree he should have been teed up.  There were two or thee no calls that bugged me.  But generally the game was well called and the players had to wear their big boy pants.

Edited by huskercwg

12 minutes ago, KZRider said:

I was ok with the non call there and actually thought the game was officiated fairly well.  I hate refs handing out technicals when players express any sort of brief outbursts of emotion (i.e. Copeland dunk).  I think the Maryland guy thought Watson trucked Cowan intentionally but he clearly didn't.  There didn't appear to be much pushing and shoving and cooler heads prevailed.  I'm glad they let them play the game out on the court.  I thought we got the benefit of the doubt on a couple of fouls called against Huerter.  Some of those were pretty suspect but hey, that's why you have a built in home court advantage and Roby has been the victim of several phantom fouls on the road!!!

Edited by Nebrasketball1979

56 minutes ago, throwback said:

Exactly.  We won this one on the defensive end - particularly Palmer and Watson played great defense tonight shutting down two very good Maryland perimeter scorers.

Great to win this ball game.  Very good three point defense and keeping Huerta, though foul troubles helped, and Cowan in check was a decisive factor.  Powerful post players are always going to hurt this team.   Roby and Copeland got on the boards to help us maintain the lead. 

I still question our our shot selection, when the threes are dropping it looks good but they won’t always drop.  The Illini will be tough at Champaign, it’s another must win.

Have to add a shout out to the guys on the end of our bench.   They are really starting to get some attention with their choreographed reactions to big moments in the game.  Five guys doing the Macarena after Palmer hit a big 3 tonight.   Great to see the guys having fun and supporting the team - including Jack McVeigh who has gone from being a frequent starter to a DNP in most games - but had kept a great attitude from all appearances.

52 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Will the Black Unis become a thing the rest of the season?

yeah, I love it. funny too, because in the past they would be considered bad luck, but since we've railed off a few nice wins away, ever since it seems like we've been on a roll so they made it a thing; "Tourney push black alts" I suppose. I'm a big design guy, so the looks always tend to dazzle me. I hope this year they'll do a better version of what they did in 2014 (or was it last year?), "made in march" special tourney jerseys. :o

Thanks @huskercwg

• JPJ took this thing over in the 2nd half. It was a thing a beauty. Felt like his dunk late in the first half woke him up. Maryland couldn't stop him in the second half. I've said it before, but it rings true tonight, but JPJ is the basketball equivalent of a good running game. You may slow them down early, but they just wear you down over the course of a game. He's playing at B1G POY levels right now.
  • It was mentioned above, but Watson did awesome work defensively. He was getting the shots he wanted, just haven't been falling. He'll break out of it eventually.
  • I thought this was a poorly officiated game. It felt like they completely flipped how they were calling the game from one half to the next. They called a bunch of fouls in the 2nd they didn't call in the first.
  • We rebounded as well as we have in a long time.
  • I don't know what the adjustment was, but we got beat on the double team for wide open lay ups to start the 2nd half. I don't think we got beat on that again the rest of the night.
  • To hold Maryland to 5/16 from 3 is pretty impressive, but it's right in line with how we've defended the 3 all conference play. Thought that was going to be the deciding factor in the game and I think it was a big one.
  • Roby might be the best player in the Big Ten next year. Holy crap he's good.
  • Crowd was really good down the stretch. Took a bit as the crowd settled in. Palmer's dunk woke up the crowd.
  • Went with a friend of mine who doesn't get to go to a ton of games. We went for a beer after the game and he asked me if I was ever worried about this game at any point during it and I really wasn't until it got down to a point with a minute or so to go.
  • It's crazy to me this is only the second time a Husker Hoops team has hit 11 conference wins since the 60's.
  • Evan Taylor always seems to be in the mix when the game's on the line. His scramble for that rebound off the block of Cowan's shot was huge. That guy is a junk yard dog. We'll miss him next year. I was dead wrong about him and thrilled to admit that.
  • Thought we got some really solid contributions from Jordy and Duby tonight. Some really important minutes, especially on the defensive end. With out them, I'm not sure we win. If we can get similar production from them down the stretch, I'll be really happy.
  • This was a really good win. I thought both teams played this one like there was a lot on the line. Maryland plays a lot of close games, so I wasn't surprised to see this one be close down the stretch. Some clutch free throws down the stretch and this sucker becomes a big win. I think Sunday's game vs. Illinois will be a dogfight, too. Just find a way to bring home a win.