B1G Tournament Bracketology

throwback

4 minutes ago, throwback said:

All 4 play-in round spots are clinched:

• Illinois-- Beat Missouri
  • Iowa-- Beat Colorado
  • Minnesota-- Beat Providence and Alabama
  • Rutgers-- Beat Seaton Hall

So even our bottom four beat other conferences bubble teams this year.  But we are down and were down in the Non-Con....

One good thing is that Maryland is locked on the 8 line.  That is as tough as that first round game could possibly be for Michigan St.  playing a well coached desperate team and Northwestern is a veteran desperate team if they were to beat Maryland.  I would like to see Iowa or Minny end up playing the 5 seed if we get 4.  That sets up better chance of upset IMO.  

Just now, royalfan said:

One good thing is that Maryland is locked on the 8 line.  That is as tough as that first round game could possibly be for Michigan St.  playing a well coached desperate team and Northwestern is a veteran desperate team if they were to beat Maryland.  I would like to see Iowa or Minny end up playing the 5 seed if we get 4.  That sets up better chance of upset IMO.  

I don't think we want an upset... I think we want (Need?) Michigan...

Now Michigan after a double OT marathon would be nice.... 

Just now, Section_316 said:

I don't think we want an upset... I think we want (Need?) Michigan...

Now Michigan after a double OT marathon would be nice.... 

I think 23 is the number no matter who we play.  We can't arrange the schedule the way we want it.  All we can do is win.  If we beat PSU and then beat Iowa/Minny and then NW/Maryland we are in the championship and the dance.  

Changes after tonight in parentheses

Possible Seed Range for B1G Tournament

Illinois - clinched play-in round

Worst Case: #14

Best Case: #11

Indiana

Worst Case: #7

Best Case: #6

Iowa- clinched play-in round

Best Case: #12 (was #11)

Maryland

#8 seed

Michigan

Worst Case: #5 (was #6)

Best Case: #4

Mich St - Clinched double-bye

Worst Case: #2

Best Case: #1

Minnesota- clinched play-in round

Worst Case: #12 (was #14)

Best Case: #11

Nebraska

Worst Case: #5

Best Case: #4

Northwestern

Worst Case: #10

Best Case: #9

Ohio St - Clinched double-bye

Worst Case: #3

Best Case: #1

Penn St

Worst Case: #7

Best Case: #6 (was #5)

Purdue - Clinched double-bye

Worst Case: #3

Best Case: #2

Rutgers- clinched play-in round

Best Case: #12 (was #11)

Wisconsin

Worst Case: #10

Best Case: #9

*Minnesota should now be the #11, unless Illinois can somehow beat Purdue and Rutgers to close out.

So in NU's part of the bracket, we'll have the Wednesday 12/13 game winner, which almost certainly will come from Iowa/Rutgers/Illinois, playing the 5 (either Michigan or NU) Thursday. Then the winner there plays the 4 (either NU or MIch) Friday.

If Iowa beats NW Sunday, they'll be in that 12/13 game and the other spot goes to Ill/Rutg winner Sunday (assuming Illinois loses to Purdue).

If Iowa loses to NW Sunday, then Rutg is in the 12/13 game, and Illinois must beat Rutg to also be in the 12/13 game, otherwise it's Iowa (again assuming Illinois loses to Purdue).

On 2/21/2018 at 3:23 PM, hhcdimes said:

If you're Ohio St you're rooting for whatever it takes to not face Penn St again

Funny thing is, this scenario is actually quite possible; If penn state finishes 6th, Michigan 5th, then if the nittany lions win one they'll match in the semis with the Bucknuts :lol:

Everyone with one game left to go

Possible Seed Range for B1G Tournament

Illinois

at Rutgers (Sunday)

WIN: #12 w/ Iowa loss

-- or #13 w/ Iowa win

LOSS: #14

Indiana

vs Ohio St (Friday)

WIN: #6

LOSS: #6 w/ Penn St loss

--  or #7 w/ Penn St win

Iowa

vs Northwestern (Sunday)

WIN: #12 w/ Illinois win

--  or #13 w/ Rutgers win

LOSS: #13 w/ Rutgers win

-- or #14 w/ Illinois win

Maryland

vs Michigan (Saturday)

#8 seed

Michigan

at Maryland (Saturday)

WIN: #4 w/ Nebraska loss

--  or #5 w/ Nebraska win

LOSS: #5

Mich St

at Wisconsin (Sunday)

WIN: #1

LOSS: #1 w/ Ohio St loss

--  or #2 w/ Ohio St win

Minnesota

at Purdue (Sunday)

#11 seed

Nebraska

vs Penn St (Sunday

WIN: #4

LOSS: #4 w/ Michigan loss

--  or #5 w/ Michigan win 

Northwestern

at Iowa (Sunday)

#10 seed

Ohio St

at Indiana (Friday)

WIN: #1 w/ Mich St loss

--  or #2 w/ Mich St win

LOSS: #2 w/ Purdue loss

--  or #3 w/ Purdue win

Penn St

at Nebraska (Sunday)

WIN: #6 w/ Indiana loss

--  or #7 w/ Indiana win

LOSS: #7

Purdue

vs Minnesota (Sunday)

WIN: #2 w/ Ohio St loss

-- or #3 w/ Ohio St win

LOSS: #3

Rutgers

vs Illinois (Sunday)

WIN: #12

LOSS: #13 w/ Iowa loss

--  or #14 w/ Iowa win

Wisconsin

vs Mich St (Sunday)

#9 seed

Possible teams for each seed

(Most likely team listed first)

#1 – Michigan St or Ohio St

#2 – Ohio St or Mich St or Purdue

#3 – Purdue or Ohio St

#4 – Nebraska or Michigan

#5 – Michigan or Nebraska

#6 – Indiana or Penn St

#7 – Penn St or Indiana

#8 – Maryland

#9 – Wisconsin

#10 – Northwestern

#11 – Minnesota

#12 – Rutgers or Iowa or Illinois

#13 – Iowa or Illinois or Rutgers

#14 – Illinois or Iowa or Rutgers

TOP SEGMENT (11 a.m. Thurs/Fri)

BYE         >>    Wisconsin vs   >>      winner vs

BYE         >>       Maryland       >>      MSU/OSU

MID-TOP SEGMENT (4:30 p.m. Wed, 1:30 p.m. Thurs/Fri)

Iowa/Ill/RU vs  >>    winner vs    >>    winner vs

RU/Iowa/Ill     >>    Mich/Neb   >>    Neb/Mich

MID-LOWER SEGMENT (5:30 p.m. Thurs/Fri)

BYE         >>    Northwestern vs   >>        winner vs

BYE         >>       PSU/Indiana        >>    OSU/MSU/Pur

LOWER SEGMENT (7 p.m. Wed, 8 p.m. Thurs/Fri)

Ill/Iowa/RU vs  >>   winner vs     >>   winner vs

Minnesota      >>    Ind/PSU      >>    Pur/OSU

A hypothetical question...
Let's assume we wind up the 4, and Michigan is the 5. But then, if Michigan gets upset by the 12/13, and that's who we get instead, so no opportunity for another Tier 1 game...would us winning THAT game be enough for the folks who say we need one in NYC? It's an outside chance, sure, but still a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Let's assume we wind up the 4, and Michigan is the 5. But then, if Michigan gets upset by the 12/13, and that's who we get instead, so no opportunity for another Tier 1 game...would us winning THAT game be enough for the folks who say we need one in NYC?

If adding another high level win is the requirement, then add other scheduling screwjob to the list

25 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Let's assume we wind up the 4, and Michigan is the 5. But then, if Michigan gets upset by the 12/13, and that's who we get instead, so no opportunity for another Tier 1 game...would us winning THAT game be enough for the folks who say we need one in NYC? It's an outside chance, sure, but still a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I personally think 23 is the magic number no matter what.  We can only control what is in front of us.  We did our part.  It shouldn't be held against us that we didn't get any Tier 1 home opportunities outside of Michigan in the conference.  It also shouldn't be held against us that other teams couldn't take care of their part in the post season.  Good teams win games.  Period.  Especially in the post season.

So, Jim Delany came out today and said the condensed schedule was a mistake and that it wasn't beneficial for student athletes or the teams.  Well, no shit!  Who would have guessed that 5 games in 12 days isn't beneficial for teams?!?!  But...don't be fooled by this response from Delany.  Jim Delany's moment of clarity wasn't out of some realization that he imposed great harm on the student-athletes.  To the contrary, I suspect that Delany is seeing lagging ticket sales and shrinking dollars as the primary motive behind this about face.  Who also would have guessed that the New York market doesn't give a rip about the Big 10?  Was there really an expectation that Rutgers fans would fill MSG - that's laughable.  This was a horribly thought out decision made chasing the almighty dollar and all it did was cost the conference not only money, but potentially teams in the Tourney with results likely being skewed by teams playing so many games in a short period of time.  Not to mention that all the BIG bubble teams have to wait 7-10 days to await their fate while other teams may play past them  over the final week and a half of the year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-jim-delany-big-ten-basketball-schedule-20180223-story.html

8 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

So, Jim Delany came out today and said the condensed schedule was a mistake and that it wasn't beneficial for student athletes or the teams.  Well, no shit!  Who would have guessed that 5 games in 12 days isn't beneficial for teams?!?!  But...don't be fooled by this response from Delany.  Jim Delany's moment of clarity wasn't out of some realization that he imposed great harm on the student-athletes.  To the contrary, I suspect that Delany is seeing lagging ticket sales and shrinking dollars as the primary motive behind this about face.  Who also would have guessed that the New York market doesn't give a rip about the Big 10?  Was there really an expectation that Rutgers fans would fill MSG - that's laughable.  This was a horribly thought out decision made chasing the almighty dollar and all it did was cost the conference not only money, but potentially teams in the Tourney with results likely being skewed by teams playing so many games in a short period of time.  Not to mention that all the BIG bubble teams have to wait 7-10 days to await their fate while other teams may play past them  over the final week and a half of the year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-jim-delany-big-ten-basketball-schedule-20180223-story.html

Ticket sales at this event in terms of revenue for the conference are irrelevant. TV and media rights are what drive revenue and this is about expanding the footprint of the B1G and it's TV network. 

I found this comment interesting as I never considered us taking on an exhibition opponent at this point...I don't know if this is something we still could do even if we wanted to.

“It’s interesting,” Delany said. “Nobody has chosen to schedule a Division II or III game in that period. That’s a little indication that they don’t want that or need that. There are positives and negatives (to the gap). Teams can rest up, put new things in and practice more. If we do well (in the tournament), everyone will be OK with it.”