Wisconsin vs. Nebraska Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Gotta be able to get 6-8 points per game with a guard just taking somebody off the dribble or gutting a defense down the middle of the lane. It’s really been an issue all year, but Nebraska’s been able to play around it through good scouting reports  and outcoaching/playing the opponent. They’re still working on developing the skill of turning the corner or slicing up a D off the dribble. There’s no Moore or T or Theriot on this roster (yet) who just naturally makes those plays over and over, game after game. 

Which is why they talk about D so much. They can control it, they have good athletes and an elite shot blocker. They’re a tough nut to crack on D. 

Just returned from the game after a 3 hour drive.   Fortunate to pull out a victory over a well coached Wisconsin squad that presented some mismatches for NU on defense and we were erratic in taking advantage at the offensive end.   I would like to have put Simon on #11 more during the game.  Getting the 5 second call late was the play of the game and we were fortunate to have timeouts remaining to inbound at our end.  Key plays were Nicea’s 3 point play and Stallworth guiding the offense late in the third quarter.

Can we split the final four games?  That seems like a reasonable goal.

5 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Gotta be able to get 6-8 points per game with a guard just taking somebody off the dribble or gutting a defense down the middle of the lane. It’s really been an issue all year, but Nebraska’s been able to play around it through good scouting reports  and outcoaching/playing the opponent. They’re still working on developing the skill of turning the corner or slicing up a D off the dribble. There’s no Moore or T or Theriot on this roster (yet) who just naturally makes those plays over and over, game after game. 

Which is why they talk about D so much. They can control it, they have good athletes and an elite shot blocker. They’re a tough nut to crack on D. 

I thought Wisconsin played very good D today.  We failed to take advantage of our inside size.

9 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Just returned from the game after a 3 hour drive.   Fortunate to pull out a victory over a well coached Wisconsin squad that presented some mismatches for NU on defense and we were erratic in taking advantage at the offensive end.   I would like to have put Simon on #11 more during the game.  Getting the 5 second call late was the play of the game and we were fortunate to have timeouts remaining to inbound at our end.  Key plays were Nicea’s 3 point play and Stallworth guiding the offense late in the third quarter.

Can we split the final four games?  That seems like a reasonable goal.

I feel for you on that drive, My 1.5 hrs. drive sometimes feels like 3 hrs.

The thing about driving to the lane...sometimes a good option is to pull up for the 10'-15' jumper. The defense kind tells you whether to go the basket or pull up. That just doesn't seem to be in our game plan, at least so far. We try to go all  the way to the hole,  and our percentages aren't that high at finishing...at least so far. (I get that we are being taught/learning to drive the lane.)  If you guys remember, Rachael T was great at the penetration/ short jumper.

Our assists by the guards seems to be... not what it was before.  And obviously the 3 shooting today was ????. Our offense used to get guards open for three's with movement and screens ...not so much the last couple of games. ....but that's what the other defenses are taking away.....what will our answer be?

Our starting guards must step up together or separately to another level if possible....but even as good as they've played all year, they're still pretty young, and haven't fully developed their games. 

Maybe we simply didn't get into our normal flow.....too much time off?? Seemed a step slow at times. 

But as said earlier...we aren't sneaking up and surprising anyone any more. Teams are scouting us harder, and playing harder against us. We have to adjust further offensively, since we're not the hunter anymore...., but the hunted now. Janay and Bria seems to offer something different, and they were effective. Wish they could have played more today, just to see if they can make a long term difference in a game, as it's played.

All of this just for discussion sake.  Good night.

Edited by redsteve

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, redsteve said:

The thing about driving to the lane...sometimes a good option is to pull up for the 10'-15' jumper. The defense kind tells you whether to go the basket or pull up. That just doesn't seem to be in our game plan, at least so far. We try to go all  the way to the hole,  and our percentages aren't that high at finishing...at least so far. (I get that we are being taught/learning to drive the lane.)  If you guys remember, Rachael T was great at the penetration/ short jumper.

Our assists by the guards seems to be... not what it was before.  And obviously the 3 shooting today was ????. Our offense used to get guards open for three's with movement and screens ...not so much the last couple of games. ....but that's what the other defenses are taking away.....what will our answer be?

Our starting guards must step up together or separately to another level if possible....but even as good as they've played all year, they're still pretty young, and haven't fully developed their games. 

Maybe we simply didn't get into our normal flow.....too much time off?? Seemed a step slow at times. 

But as said earlier...we aren't sneaking up and surprising anyone any more. Teams are scouting us harder, and playing harder against us. We have to adjust further offensively, since we're not the hunter anymore...., but the hunted now. Janay and Bria seems to offer something different, and they were effective. Wish they could have played more today, just to see if they can make a long term difference in a game, as it's played.

All of this just for discussion sake.  Good night.

Some good thoughts here.  I like it when guards (or whoever) can pull up and hit the short jumper when driving thru the lane.  Would like to see the men do this some (or a bit more) too. 

But it seems to me it's a lower percentage shot that you have to have down to do it.  A miss and the other team is in transition.  As Steve said you need to know when to go to the rim, or pull up, but not going to the rim means giving away possible FTs and Plus Ones.

We are still young and learning.  Even though our guards are not great at driving to the hoop we are way better then we were last year.  I don't think we will be having this conversation in the next year or two.  Besides in my mind we at present don't have a true point guard that starts.  I still think Hannah is better suited as the shooting guard.

45 minutes ago, HUD said:

We are still young and learning.  Even though our guards are not great at driving to the hoop we are way better then we were last year.  I don't think we will be having this conversation in the next year or two.  Besides in my mind we at present don't have a true point guard that starts.  I still think Hannah is better suited as the shooting guard.

Haiby well help a lot next year.