Hate Will Never Win

49r

aphilso, that's a specious argument.  

How many white supremacists do you suppose there are out there?  How many Dylann Roofs have there been?  Are you espousing rounding up all avowed white supremacists in order to prevent the next Dylann Roof?

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion.  Not going to be dragged into doing exactly what I think shouldn't be done, which is to give this douche attention he doesn't merit.

I for one am comfortable with what the school did and is doing.  This is the open in your face kind of guy that we need to know about. We as a society can keep an eye on this guy and wait for him to mess up.  It also allows for eveybody else on campus and in town to watch for him.  

The guy who bothers me is the guy who right now is sitting at home and hasn't said a thing.  Then some Sunday morning walks into a church or a mosque or a synagogue.  And kills 25 people and hurts 50 more.  And all his neighbors say he was an odd fellow, that kept to myself, but would come and have a beer with you.  That is the guy that is the real trouble.

The only thing I would say about not giving this kid his 15 minutes, is that he might do something so that we don't forget his name.  Right now he seems to content with stiring the pot and kicking a few people when they are on the ground.

Edited by Silverbacked1

Not to quibble but Gary Lauck didn't fade away because he was ignored. Lauck was very active in the movement throughout Europe. It was on a visit to Denmark that he was grabbed and extradited to Germany. Germany has free speech but with its history hate speech is not protected. Lauck had been sending mailings to Germany which is against the law there. I believe he spent four years in prison there. When he came back I think he moved in with his mother in Fairbury. He tried to get a concealed handgun permit but the state denied him saying he lied on the application where it asked if he had been found guilty of a felony. Even though it's not illegal here, distributing hate speech is a felony in Germany. I'm sure people could argue that point as well. The threat of extradition back to Germany or tried for hate speech in other European countries has kept him at home and out of the international movement. The threat of the U.S. possibly extraditing him to Germany forces him to keep a low profile here. I think he still has some sort of online nazi bookstore but due to further legal issues, he is forced to keep his product out of most European countries. So technically it was international law enforcement and the threat of future punishment that has lead to his going deeper underground. 

Anyone know someone on the spirit squad?  It'd be cool if for Saturday's game they could replace the big "Husker" and "Power" signs with a "Hatred" and "Won't Win" sign.  That would absolutely tell our players that we're with them.  Can you imagine hearing that chant echoing before the game?  Goosebumps.

Edited by aphilso1

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Anyone know someone on the spirit squad?  It'd be cool if for Saturday's game they could replace the big "Husker" and "Power" signs with a "Hatred" and "Won't Win" sign.  That would absolutely tell our players that we're with them.  Can you imagine hearing that chant echoing before the game?  Goosebumps.

Most chants and traditions don't come from the spirit squad. Get the students behind it and it'll snowball into something bigger.

30 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Most chants and traditions don't come from the spirit squad. Get the students behind it and it'll snowball into something bigger.

I was thinking more in terms of having the signs printed, so that the rest of the arena could see and therefore know what to chant.  But you're probably right, because the students could print giant signs that would impactful.  And the rest of the arena would be more likely to follow the students.

Maybe this person is just a publicity whore but what about the young people who are listening to him and using his words to legitimize their own beliefs. Holding him and others like him up as some type of role model. Even if this guy never acts out on his statements of how he loves violence, there are others waiting in the wings of society who might. It seems that our new political climate has emboldened this type of behavior. Hate has been legitimized and it comes right from the top. I don't know what the answer is but I know that this type of thing is taking us down a bad road. A road that we have been down before. It has never ended well. 

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't want my "ignore him" take to be construed as some sort of tacit support for the idiot white nationalist dude.  I don't support his views; I condemn them in the strongest of terms.  But that doesn't mean that the right response is to draw attention to this guy.

But this isn't my first rodeo.

This isn't the first neo-Nazi turd to walk around Lincoln, Nebraska.  He's the second, actually.

The first was a guy who graduated from Lincoln East in the early 70s.  His name was Gary Lauck.  Lincoln became described by some as sort of the neo-Nazi capitol of North America because, supposedly, this guy was mailing off more neo-Nazi literature from Lincoln than was coming out of any other place in the US.  My high school teachers would mention this Gary Lauck; my professors at college would sometimes bring him up.

But no one organized marches or cry-ins or kumbaya sessions because of him.  If we thought of him at all, it was with ridicule because THE GUY WAS AND STILL IS A LOSER.

As a result, he's now a little-known, largely ignored pimple on the butt of humanity.  I question whether there's anyone on this board younger than 40 who's even heard of him before reading this post just now.

So, my question is why give this current douche attention?  The attention gives him a sort of power that he doesn't rightly possess and only experiences by virtue of the reaction people are giving to him.  Why give that to him?  Why make him think his message is reaching its mark?  

He's not capable of inflicting any actual harm; he only has the power you give him and you can choose not to give that to him by ignoring him, which is what I would do.

I had forgotten about him despite the fact I think dad had him in class while he was in high school.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If a video falls in the middle of a forest and no one is around to watch it, does it really constitute a "threat"?

Quit giving this guy attention he doesn't deserve. (Not just you, but everybody.)

Norm you make good points in this thread - and if this was just the BB team raising this issue I would agree with you that it is better left ignored.

But it is not a blank slate.  This guy has become significant news on campus and to some extent nationally at this point based on the hate-filled video he posted with the threat (albeit a "future" threat) of violence based purely on race.   Given that situation and the actions this guy has apparently taken that have made students on campus very uncomfortable with his presence - I think it is very commendable that the team has taken it upon themselves to use their public profile to make a statement on the issue.   The basketball team did not create this "news" but I do think they are contributing to it in a positive way.  To boycott the game would have given the guy too much attention.  But to publicly draw attention to how misguided he is at this point is a fair and appropriate response from a group of student leaders - which is essentially what the BB team is in a public sense.   If we have an arena filled with people loudly and unanimously expressing support for that statement by chanting "Hate Will Never Win" then that shows not only the team - but all the students on campus who feel threatened - that the citizens of Nebraska have their back as well.

Edited by HuskerBB

Obviously this guy is a loser turd.   It saddens me this crap exists and that this has popped up during this special season.  I know this is bigger than basketball , but I can’t be the only one out there who hopes this loser and his crap doesn’t distract the team from their mission to make the tourney.   Maybe it will bring the team closer  together , more united, and that translates to more winning.    Hopefully this loser crawls back under the rock he crawled out from under and his views die off and we can get back to talking about Nebraska basketball and back to enjoying this special season.    I support the team and hate will never win.  

Edited by ZAYWHAT!

Hate wins most days. So my only quibble is with the empirical accuracy of the hashtag. I can't even imagine an America that wasn't freebasing hate speech at a high rate of speed. 

I'm proud of these guys for being counted, however. on a college campus no less. knowing that there are a lot of fans out there that are going to quietly sympathize with the nazi nutter although they're potty trained enough to keep it at a low volume among their own. 

Sports and politics have a long, sordid partnership. We don't often notice, because the politics in most sporting events are the kind we view as "normal", or "good". It's when an opinion or perspective that is introduced in that arena that contradicts or deviates from the familiar stories we unconsciously accept that all hell breaks loose with fans. From Kaepernick all the way back to Smith and Carlos in Mexico City,  to Louis versus Schmeling to the day we opened up the arena to every military recruiter and flyover ever. 

I love this team more than I did two days ago because they were willing to deviate a bit from the cultural traditions of the state they play for, even if standing "against hate" isn't exactly going out on a limb on a diversity-obsessed college campus. 

As if I didn't love this team enough already, they go out and do this.  I'm proud of the young men, Coach Miles for standing up for what they believe in.  

I know you can say to "ignore" it, but unless you are in this situation and deal with us, who are we to judge?  I for one am happy when people use their platform in a positive way.  The players message is "Hate Will Never Win"  doesn't mention the guys name that does the video, doesn't directly mention sex, gender, race...Evan Taylor said "Love one another"  NOTHING wrong with that message, and I'm damn proud these players are on our team!