Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFever

This is Why I Don't Like Adidas...

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

 

The cash component *alone* in that deal (approximately $6 million per year) would be more than the entire athletics department budget for about 8 SWAC, MEAC and Southland conference schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 49r said:

Adidas announces 6 year $700 million deal with MLS:

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/adidas-extends-major-league-soccer-sponsorship-6-years-700-million-152955630.html

 

Works out to be about $4.5 million per year per team, because of planned expansion from 22 to 28 teams over the length of the contract.

 

Adidas does some really nice stuff in MLS.  I own a couple Sporting KC jerseys that I think are quite sharp

Image result for sporting kc kitImage result for sporting kc kitImage result for sporting kc kitImage result for sporting kc kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Adidas either working it's way towards or surpassed Nike as the "cool" brand?

I believe you are right dimes.  This was a topic on a couple of the local sport shows yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in terms of performance apperal and shoes Nike still wins. But where Adidas is taking over is in that luxury athletic wear which works for Nebraska because a lot of kids will see NU in their off the field gear, hopefully the on the field gear catches up, because I still think Adidas shoes look awful at times, I will buy plenty of adiddas appearal but I haven't bought adidas shoes in at least 10 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

I think in terms of performance apperal and shoes Nike still wins. But where Adidas is taking over is in that luxury athletic wear which works for Nebraska because a lot of kids will see NU in their off the field gear, hopefully the on the field gear catches up, because I still think Adidas shoes look awful at times, I will buy plenty of adiddas appearal but I haven't bought adidas shoes in at least 10 years 

 

Well I only buy a pair of athletic shoes about once every 5 years, and the last two times it was New Balance and Puma.  So I can trump you by saying it's been at least ten years since I bough EITHER Adidas OR Nike shoes.  So there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 8:07 AM, jimmykc said:

Looks like UNL is set to go with adidas for another 11 years so better start liking them. As for me, All-Day-I-Dream-About-Soccer. Best product to come from Bavaria since Busch Bavarian Beer.

 

I think the most important point of the proposed deal is the ability to renegotiate or terminate if Nebraska deems they are not getting the support they deserve from Adidas.  Team endorsement deals are growing at an exponential rate right now.  It's almost analogous to NBA salaries...don't want to be locked-in on something that may look great now but will lose its luster in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 0:24 PM, hhcdimes said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Adidas either working it's way towards or surpassed Nike as the "cool" brand?

 

It will always be a point of contention between Boost Bros and Nike Boyz, but I think Adidas is slightly edging out Nike at this point.

 

They've accomplished much it by employing a lot of the low supply/high demand shenanigans that Nike so carefully cultivated over the years.  Nike kept production volumes low to create a sense of hype and feed a growing resale market.  For the longest time, select Nike/Jordan sneakers were really the only pairs with resale value.  As of a couple years ago, the value of the resale market for those sneakers actually surpassed that of the 2nd largest sneaker company (at the time Sketchers, now it's obviously Adidas Group).  That means the general public was collectively pulling-in more revenue by purchasing select Nike/Jordan sneakers at retail and reselling them at an elevated price, than Adidas was on their entire catalog.  That is freaking nuts.

 

Adidas has done an excellent job aligning itself with the correct influencers and designers, as well as keeping manufacturing quantities limited in order to gain clout with sneakerheads.  That said, it's a back-and-forth battle.  Nike has had a great run this summer with the re-release of several Air Max models, the VaporMax launch, etc. and they've done an excellent job of aligning themselves with the right influencers by signing Travis Scott to be the face of the VaporMax line and by working with Tyler the Creator on the Converse Le Fleur line that dropped last week.  Rappers tend to sell more sneakers than comedians (I'm looking at you, Kevin Hart).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is interesting...Nike and Addidas lead the pack in overall sales by a longway over Under Armour....but when i go to the YMCA, you see about equal amounts Nike and Under Armour and rarely see any Addidas.   


The only Addidas items that I own are Nebraska Cornhusker apparel.  I do like some of the Dryfit type shirts but dislike their pullovers and Golf style shirts I have gotten from them.

 

I prefer Under Armour myself, owning Running and basketball shoes from UA.  I can't remember the last pair of Addidas shoes that I have worn (junior high, maybe). 

 

I do remember when Reebok was the shoe to have and tough to find them anymore.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

it is interesting...Nike and Addidas lead the pack in overall sales by a longway over Under Armour....but when i go to the YMCA, you see about equal amounts Nike and Under Armour and rarely see any Addidas.   


The only Addidas items that I own are Nebraska Cornhusker apparel.  I do like some of the Dryfit type shirts but dislike their pullovers and Golf style shirts I have gotten from them.

 

I prefer Under Armour myself, owning Running and basketball shoes from UA.  I can't remember the last pair of Addidas shoes that I have worn (junior high, maybe). 

 

I do remember when Reebok was the shoe to have and tough to find them anymore.

 

 

 

Loved wearing my mid-cut Reebok's to ball back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

it is interesting...Nike and Addidas lead the pack in overall sales by a longway over Under Armour....but when i go to the YMCA, you see about equal amounts Nike and Under Armour and rarely see any Addidas.   


The only Addidas items that I own are Nebraska Cornhusker apparel.  I do like some of the Dryfit type shirts but dislike their pullovers and Golf style shirts I have gotten from them.

 

I prefer Under Armour myself, owning Running and basketball shoes from UA.  I can't remember the last pair of Addidas shoes that I have worn (junior high, maybe). 

 

I do remember when Reebok was the shoe to have and tough to find them anymore.

 

 

If these apparel items you have say "Addidas" on them, then I think you've found the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, Blindcheck said:

it is interesting...Nike and Addidas lead the pack in overall sales by a longway over Under Armour....but when i go to the YMCA, you see about equal amounts Nike and Under Armour and rarely see any Addidas.   


The only Addidas items that I own are Nebraska Cornhusker apparel.  I do like some of the Dryfit type shirts but dislike their pullovers and Golf style shirts I have gotten from them.

 

I prefer Under Armour myself, owning Running and basketball shoes from UA.  I can't remember the last pair of Addidas shoes that I have worn (junior high, maybe). 

 

I do remember when Reebok was the shoe to have and tough to find them anymore.

 

 

 

Not to sound ageist, I rarely see anyone under the age of 40 wearing UA. Maybe a few 10-13 year-old kids that are brainwashed Steph Curry fanboys and want to wear his sneakers with their GSW jerseys, but that is really about it.

 

UA's performance footwear has very little credibility and zero cool factor. What UA running sneakers are you wearing? Speedform line? What do you like about them that wasn't available from Nike or Adidas?

 

The people that I typically see wearing UA are not usually aligned with athletic performance. They want a camouflage compression shirt or hoody to go hunting in, or some sneakers with overpowering logos. This probably sounds overly critical and stereotypical, but the industry generally agrees with those sentiments.

 

Adidas -- and Nike to a lesser extent -- has long been aligned with high-end fashion and streetwear designers. One of the best design changes Adidas has made has been to move toward more minimalist aesthetics with regard to branding. UA can't seem to grasp that and it makes a lot of (younger) people think their designs are tacky and behind the times.

 

Fashion is obviously cyclical and what is cool one day may not be the next, but UA has continually been slow to enact the changes they need to make in order to stay relevant. Much of their initially growth was due to them being a start-up and outsider and customers desiring change. That honeymoon is over for them and has been for the last few years. A quick examination of their stock price will detail this better than I can explain.

 

Also, for what it is worth Reebok has been owned by Adidas AG for some time now. They haven't been much of a focus because Adidas itself has been doing so well. Mostly, Reebok is relegated to retro releases of past sneakers such as Allen Iverson and Shaq's signature lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

Not to sound ageist, I rarely see anyone under the age of 40 wearing UA. Maybe a few 10-13 year-old kids that are brainwashed Steph Curry fanboys and want to wear his sneakers with their GSW jerseys, but that is really about it.

 

UA's performance footwear has very little credibility and zero cool factor. What UA running sneakers are you wearing? Speedform line? What do you like about them that wasn't available from Nike or Adidas?

 

The people that I typically see wearing UA are not usually aligned with athletic performance. They want a camouflage compression shirt or hoody to go hunting in, or some sneakers with overpowering logos. This probably sounds overly critical and stereotypical, but the industry generally agrees with those sentiments.

 

Adidas -- and Nike to a lesser extent -- has long been aligned with high-end fashion and streetwear designers. One of the best design changes Adidas has made has been to move toward more minimalist aesthetics with regard to branding. UA can't seem to grasp that and it makes a lot of (younger) people think their designs are tacky and behind the times.

 

Fashion is obviously cyclical and what is cool one day may not be the next, but UA has continually been slow to enact the changes they need to make in order to stay relevant. Much of their initially growth was due to them being a start-up and outsider and customers desiring change. That honeymoon is over for them and has been for the last few years. A quick examination of their stock price will detail this better than I can explain.

 

Also, for what it is worth Reebok has been owned by Adidas AG for some time now. They haven't been much of a focus because Adidas itself has been doing so well. Mostly, Reebok is relegated to retro releases of past sneakers such as Allen Iverson and Shaq's signature lines.

 

It may just vary by what social circle/sport you participate in.  Roughly 30%-40% of guys I see on a golf course are wearing at least one item of UA, and that's probably even higher in the under 40-year old crowd.  The over 40 guys tend to go Nike/adidas/FootJoy, while the under 40's go Under Armour/Puma.  The exception is in shoes, as I don't see many guys wear UA golf shoes.

 

Also, I work on a military installation, and UA is very popular when guys are working out on their own time and are therefore able to wear whatever they want.  Shoes I'd say are again the exception.  But as far as shorts/sweats/base layers/moisture wicking t-shirts, etc...UA is pretty popular.

Edited by aphilso1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

 

It may just vary by what social circle/sport you participate in.  Roughly 30%-40% of guys I see on a golf course are wearing at least one item of UA, and that's probably even higher in the under 40-year old crowd.  The over 40 guys tend to go Nike/adidas/FootJoy, while the under 40's go Under Armour/Puma.  The exception is in shoes, as I don't see many guys wear UA golf shoes.

 

Also, I work on a military installation, and UA is very popular when guys are working out on their own time and are therefore able to wear whatever they want.  Shoes I'd say are again the exception.  But as far as shorts/sweats/base layers/moisture wicking t-shirts, etc...UA is pretty popular.

 

I think UA and Puma's rise in popularity in golfing circles is somewhat due to disinterest from Nike and Adidas.  They've certainly toned-down their sponsorship and investment.  Nike has abandoned their equipment line and Adidas AG has now sold-off TaylorMade.  Seems like they're focusing on more profitable product lines that cast a wider net.  Golf as a sport hasn't really sustained the growth in participation that was predicted 10-15 years ago...back when Tiger was crushing balls and/or Perkins waitresses.

c18c4-woods-perkins.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play a lot of basketball at a YMCA in Des Moines.  I see a lot of the younger guys (in their twenties wearing Under Armour shorts and shirts)...I also see a lot of Nike and a lot of (unknown to me or unbranded items).

 

Nike is the predominant brand I see, but I do see a lot of And 1 brand apparel as well as Under armour....I have been looking over the last couple of weeks and just am not seeing much Adidas (could be they are just not popular in my area or with the guys that play with me..which is about 50 different guys that play during the Noon hour in this YMCA, they don't all show up everyday, but there is about 50 different guys who come at least occasionally)

 

Footwear...I see a disproportionate amount of Under Armour basketball shoes...but I have yet to see anyone that is wearing the Curry shoe at the gym.  UA has not gained much market share in shoes, so again this could just be a small sample size that is nothing but anecdotal.

 

I have no idea what UA running shoe I have (even after looking at it closely, i couldn't figure out the model)...but  I have never liked how Nike fit on my foot and have worn Asics or Brooks before buying this Under Armour running shoe, that I bought because I am on my third UA basketball shoe and thought I would like the UA running shoe that fit similarly when trying it on at the store while buying my basketball shoes. I don't think I have owned an Adidas shoe in my adult life, never really considered them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×