This is Why I Don't Like Adidas...

HuskerFever

WHO WANTS ZUBAZ!?!?!?!?!

BEM0HXfCcAIqMVR.jpg

I'm pretty sure they rolled these out last year too but I just watch parts of Cincinnati's first round Big East tournament game and here's my beef with these jerseys. They look mismatched. There needs to be more stripey stuff on the tops or less on the bottoms. A few years ago I would have been totally disgusted by these. I guess all these years of seeing what Oregon football rolls out has desensitized me.

• 2 weeks later...

For all you "Nike is more innovative" people out there, Duke and Creighton have the exact same uniforms.

I'm glad that Creighton finally has the same design for home and away uniforms.  They looked like that high school who only had enough money to get one set of new uniforms.

For all you "Nike is more innovative" people out there, Duke and Creighton have the exact same uniforms.

I'm glad that Creighton finally has the same design for home and away uniforms.  They looked like that high school who only had enough money to get one set of new uniforms.

Oh I remember those days. When I was a freshman the varsity got brand new away jerseys so we got their hand-me-downs. Loved playing aways games. Home games not so much. John Stockton would have thought our home jereseys' shorts were too short.

Not really a fair comparison.  Duke has been wearing that exact same uniform style for as long as I can remember.  Creighton just happened to have that style this year, and they probably picked it on their own.

Does anybody know if Creighton is actually sponsored by Nike, or do they just wear Nike gear?  I know that Wichita State has to pay for their Jordan jerseys because they aren't actually sponsored by Jordan.  Wouldn't surprise me if Creighton is in the same boat; they're just given a list of jersey templates to choose from at the beginning of the year and then have to pay Nike to put "Creighton" on them.

Not really a fair comparison.  Duke has been wearing that exact same uniform style for as long as I can remember.  Creighton just happened to have that style this year, and they probably picked it on their own.

Does anybody know if Creighton is actually sponsored by Nike, or do they just wear Nike gear?  I know that Wichita State has to pay for their Jordan jerseys because they aren't actually sponsored by Jordan.  Wouldn't surprise me if Creighton is in the same boat; they're just given a list of jersey templates to choose from at the beginning of the year and then have to pay Nike to put "Creighton" on them.

I don't believe Creighton or Wichita State have to "pay" to have Nike/Jordan sponsor them.  Pretty sure they have a deal with the company. 

St. Louis, New Mexico, Wyoming all have the same basic template. That's just the three I can think of off the top of my head. I've only really been paying close attention since this whole "Nebraska should go Nike for the recruits" stuff has popped up.

Do you think Nebraska doesn't pick their jersey style on their own?

Creighton has a deal with Nike.

I think the whole talk about the Nike/adidas battle shouldn't be focused on jerseys; it should be focused on shoes.

Sneakerheads, which is a breed I certainly do not understand but consists of about every high school hooper, by an overwhelming supermajority, prefer Nike shoes.  What the Nike deals do that get kids' attention is provide the kids all of the Nike shoes that they could want.  Since these guys tend to collect them (honestly, I have a hard time typing that without cracking up) it can make a difference to a select few.

Do you think Nebraska doesn't pick their jersey style on their own?

I'm sure we did, but I don't know.  It really doesn't matter to me, I'm cool with whatever company pays us more.

I think the whole talk about the Nike/adidas battle shouldn't be focused on jerseys; it should be focused on shoes.

Sneakerheads, which is a breed I certainly do not understand but consists of about every high school hooper, by an overwhelming supermajority, prefer Nike shoes.  What the Nike deals do that get kids' attention is provide the kids all of the Nike shoes that they could want.  Since these guys tend to collect them (honestly, I have a hard time typing that without cracking up) it can make a difference to a select few.

Agreed, it's an unfortunate truth that some kids will actually pick a school because of shoes but whatever.  Those kids are still few and far between, IMO (although it does seem to be getting more prevalent).

Agreed, it's an unfortunate truth that some kids will actually pick a school because of shoes but whatever.  Those kids are still few and far between, IMO (although it does seem to be getting more prevalent).

Nike did an amazing job of creating the EYBL for AAU where they battle at Nike tournaments all summer to gain Nike contracts for their clubs for the future.  If youre in the top 8 your AAU program is fully funded the following year by Nike.  So it forces current talent but also increases those coaches to recruit to continue those plush contracts.  Sadly adidas doesnt focus as much into that marketing as much, just like Nike does it for football as well and have their "opening" for the top football players.

If that's so, then why doesn't Louisville switch to Nike?  Basketball is their major sport.  Lose their sparkle in that and the whole athletic program diminishes.  In order to protect the entire brand, they would have incentive to hedge against the possibility that recruits would pick someone else because of which shoe company provides their gear.  Yet, there they are, an adidas school.  Along with other Sweet 16 slouches like Michigan and Indiana.

If that's so, then why doesn't Louisville switch to Nike?  Basketball is their major sport.  Lose their sparkle in that and the whole athletic program diminishes.  In order to protect the entire brand, they would have incentive to hedge against the possibility that recruits would pick someone else because of which shoe company provides their gear.  Yet, there they are, an adidas school.  Along with other Sweet 16 slouches like Michigan and Indiana.

This was not in response to Kamdy, whose post above came in while I was still typing.  It was in response to the fear that kids pick schools because of their shoe company affiliation.

This was not in response to Kamdy, whose post above came in while I was still typing.  It was in response to the fear that kids pick schools because of their shoe company affiliation.

The shoe obsession is a funny thing.  It sounds childish, but I have no doubt that SOME kids do pick based on athletic gear.  If you go to some of the recruits from Chicago twitter pages you can see the amount of money they dump into shoes, specifically Jordans.  I don't think that Nike has much more appeal than Adidas, but Jordan definitely does.   

The popularity of Jordan shoes is undeniable.  There's a reason why they can charge 175+ per pair and still sell out instantly. 

Anyone know if Nike sponsored schools provide Jordan shoes?  Or does the player use their personal gear and Nike is okay with it? 

and Kansas.  

Don't forget LaSalle is with Under Armour.

49r must love Adidas ;)  

I understand where you're coming from.  Shoes don't make or break a program and to think that is ridiculous.  However, if the question is what would most kids prefer to wear I think the answer is clearly Nike. They own an insane portion of the basketball shoe market.

It is what it is.  It matters to some kids and not so much to others.

I'd say Louisville doesn't have to worry about it because they have Pitino.  If you have a living legend, shoe deals probably don't matter as much.

In other words, you are overstating it.  Show tie-ins are just another arrow in the quiver.  You lay out your entire package and one kid cares about who the coach is, another kid cares about where he fits in the offense, another kid wants the best weather, another kid wants games on TV, another kid wants to play close to home, and another kid wants a particular shoe.  Hell, with teenagers, the school with the hottest and easiest girls could be the most important thing....

Personally, I purchase whatever shoes are on sale when I need them.  Then again, I'm not a sneakerhead.

Also Albany was a Jordon school. If Witchita STate has to pay to wear Jumpman on their gear no doubt the Great Danes do too.

I'm not sneakerhead but I prefer Nike basketball shoes. I always have for some reason. I guess they're marketing got me early. In fact the only gear I have that is Adidas has Nebraska on it somewhere.

So if I was in high school (not not terrible at basketball) and was being recruited. If school X and School Y are on pretty equal ground I might go with the Nike school. Just personal preferance.

49r must love Adidas ;)

I understand where you're coming from.  Shoes don't make or break a program and to think that is ridiculous.  However, if the question is what would most kids prefer to wear I think the answer is clearly Nike. They own an insane portion of the basketball shoe market.

I actually don't care one way or another.  When I played in HS, I had Jordans and I had Adidas, but my favorite shoes for playing in were, believe it or not, New Balance.  I've preferred NB ever since.

Of course, now I buy running shoes, not basketball shoes.  But I still only buy New Balance.  That's just my personal preference.