This is Why I Don't Like Adidas...

HuskerFever

9 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

I like the idea of moving Yeezy into athletic apparel and shoes, but the Yeezy basketball shoes I've seen in their test stages have a ways to go. 

Agreed.  Love the marketability, but it will be difficult to execute.  I worry about the performance of the sneakers and cleats while achieving desired design aesthetics.  But it would be foolish to ever bet against Mr. West.

The Turtle Dove cleats aren't anything special, and I doubt the 750s are either.  Regarding basketball shoes, are you talking about the Wave Runner 700s?

0703-kanye-west-2-chainz-ucla-basketball

adidas-yeezy-runner-2.jpg

That's what he wore (with ankle braces) when he played with the UCLA basketball team recently.  That ships in November and I have a pair secured that I actually will be running -- and possibly hooping -- in so I'll give you my review then.  He's also been seen wearing a white colorway, and a grey colorway has surfaced, but that appears to have a totally different outsole.

16032080_the-adidas-yeezy-season-6-runne

Back in the mid-to-late 90s, Adidas had a "Feet You Wear" campaign that was carried across the outsole design of several basketball and cross-training sneakers.  The outsole and midsole on these looks like it is taken from Kobe's KB8 III which he wore something like 17 years ago.  This is why I'm worried about performance.

c93wyndw4mf7c6g8k1wy.jpg

I know the Huskers rocked a bunch of the "Feet You Wear" kicks back in the day...maybe this program needs a little history lesson?  Let's lace-up some vintage Adidas vibes!  In fact, I've got the perfect addition to the equipment staff...

Danny-Nee.jpg

What I'd like to see is exclusive Yeezy team apparel and some 350s/750s/slides for off court wear.  Team exclusive 350 and 750 colorways would be absolutely bonkers.  If Adidas gave us even half the Oregon Duck treatment, the results would pay huge dividends.

For those of you that don't know, this is the type of shit that Nike hands-out to Oregon student-athletes

oregon-ducks-jordan-collection-2.jpg

8ae323e2bcb593addfe063f8407ea7ab.jpg

Kind of tacky.  But this is how much it goes for on the aftermarket:

https://www.flightclub.com/air-jordan-5-retro-apple-green-yellow-strike-blk-012248

Oregon 5 Ducks.jpg

59 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Regarding basketball shoes, are you talking about the Wave Runner 700s?

0703-kanye-west-2-chainz-ucla-basketball

adidas-yeezy-runner-2.jpg

No, I'm talking about the Yeezy basketball shoes that adidas is currently in the design stages with.  I've had a chance to take a look and I like some aspects of them, but they also leave a lot to be desired.

54 minutes ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

No, I'm talking about the Yeezy basketball shoes that adidas is currently in the design stages with.  I've had a chance to take a look and I like some aspects of them, but they also leave a lot to be desired.

double-take.gif

Honestly, so long as it has a PK upper, full-length Boost midsole, and a multidirectional outsole pattern akin to the Crazy Explosive, I'll probably mess with it.

21 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

First part no (surprised me), second part yes, third part kinda. 

I also would've expected the premium materials, but this is probably a good play by Adidas.  High-end basketball sneakers aren't exactly popping-off like they were 5 years ago.  There are plenty of high-performance signature shoes that can be had for ~$100-120 like Nike's PG1 or Kyrie 3.  If Adidas really wants to saturate the market with them, price point might matter.

I was at the Solheim cup this weekend and when you looked around, you saw a lot more Under Armour branding than Adidas and Nike....I think one of the reasons you see more of it, is because UA puts there logo on everything while Nike might put it on a sleeve. (although I did not see 1 pair of UA shoes)

I think I only saw two shirts that were Adidas brand that weren't also something else...High school team, Huskers, etc.  I saw quite a few Nike items that were just NIke, but the amount of UA items that were just UA was significant....and all ages..

Now, this is definitely a golf crowd and I do think UA has a done a good job in the golf arena.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see the Solheim cup, I recommend it, it was a great event.

OK! OK!  So I'm convinced, maybe the Thread Title should go back to "Why I HATE (err DON'T LIKE) Adidas!" :Redface:   (if it were ever changed in the first place ^_^)

(There's still that renegotiation provision though  :))

'

Edited by Red Don

Lousiville...that is a school that is only a power 5 school because Maryland left for the Big ten....They might have gone to the Big 12, but that is barely a power 5 conference itself.

i still think listening to other manufacturers can't hurt when negotiating...it is like a restaurant that is a coke restaurant and it never listens to Pepsi's pitch to get the business when the contract runs out.

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

Lousiville...that is a school that is only a power 5 school because Maryland left for the Big ten....They might have gone to the Big 12, but that is barely a power 5 conference itself.

i still think listening to other manufacturers can't hurt when negotiating...it is like a restaurant that is a coke restaurant and it never listens to Pepsi's pitch to get the business when the contract runs out.

I said it before, UA has no more money and Nike doesn't want Nebraska. 

Edited by CrazyforNUHOOPS

keep in mind, louisville has a heisman candidate at QB and a basketball program that regularly makes the sweet 16.

i'm guessing nebraska has a bigger fanbase, but we don't have the star power that louisville currently has.

or it's very possible whoever negotiated our deal is just a complete idiot.

Edited by TimSmiles

On 8/24/2017 at 9:32 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Wait a second.  How the heck does this happen?  We're 11 year, 128 million and ...

I call bullshit on this one.  Maybe Eichorst should have talked to some other shoe makers.

Louisville's football and basketball programs are currently in a much better position that Nebraska's, and those are the only two sports that really move this needle.  As I said earlier, Nebraska is (at best) in third place in the Adidas portfolio behind Louisville and Miami.  And although their payout doesn't have parity, Adidas has also been developing a significant relationship with Arizona State with respect to sports science and product design/testing.

Miami signed their Adidas deal two years before we renewed our contract.  Miami had been a Nike school for nearly three decades so Adidas wanted to make a big splash with their contract.  I think they got $90MM spread over 12 years, so significantly less than Nebraska.  And Adidas is willing to come back to the table and renegotiate if these payouts keep climbing.  What more could we ask for?

Nike represents far too many programs to be able to offer Nebraska these amounts or give us any sort of attention/special treatment.  I believe Adidas actually employs a corporate liaison that lives on site in Lincoln.  This is where we want to be.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:43 AM, Blindcheck said:

Last time I checked, the ACC had added SEVEN schools since 2000.  Louisville is just one of them.

Louisville is in a Power Five conference because conference expansion is lucrative, and because of their performance in basketball and football over the past decade.

Also, they've negotiated huge corporate investments from Yum! Brands and Papa John's and made huge investments into their facilities and coaching staffs.  They pay both their football and (especially) basketball staffs more than Nebraska.  And as nice as the PBA is, the KFC Yum! Center is a bigger/better/more expensive facility.  Papa John's Cardinal Stadium is going to have a capacity in the mid-60s after their next expansion.  They're growing their brand at a very swift pace.

20 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Louisville also has a great baseball program.  NU is doing fine with adidas.

NU is getting a nice payday from adidas for sure, but it's just sad that louisiville is worth an extra 30 mil. It shows how bad our athletic programs have become.

if football only wins 6 or 7 games and basketball has another losing season, i have to think some major changes will be coming.

On 8/26/2017 at 11:14 AM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Last time I checked, the ACC had added SEVEN schools since 2000.  Louisville is just one of them.

Louisville is in a Power Five conference because conference expansion is lucrative, and because of their performance in basketball and football over the past decade.

Also, they've negotiated huge corporate investments from Yum! Brands and Papa John's and made huge investments into their facilities and coaching staffs.  They pay both their football and (especially) basketball staffs more than Nebraska.  And as nice as the PBA is, the KFC Yum! Center is a bigger/better/more expensive facility.  Papa John's Cardinal Stadium is going to have a capacity in the mid-60s after their next expansion.  They're growing their brand at a very swift pace.

All that is true...but If Maryland stays in the ACC, they probably don't get invited to any other Power 5 conference except maybe the Big 12.

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

All that is true...but If Maryland stays in the ACC, they probably don't get invited to any other Power 5 conference except maybe the Big 12.

So then do you think the ACC is finished expanding? What would lead you to believe that? Conference imperialism is real, bro.

Maybe you'll think differently after the ACC signs some truly garbage AAC/C-USA team? UConn or Central Florida, maybe? Hell, I think Notre Dame will even be joining the ACC in football within the next 10 years.

On 8/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

So then do you think the ACC is finished expanding? What would lead you to believe that? Conference imperialism is real, bro.

Maybe you'll think differently after the ACC signs some truly garbage AAC/C-USA team? UConn or Central Florida, maybe? Hell, I think Notre Dame will even be joining the ACC in football within the next 10 years.

At the point in time that Lousiville was invited...It was to replace Maryland....

Could the go to 16 total teams when and if Notre Dame joins....Yes....Louisville probably was still next in line...but they got an opportunity when Maryland left....I believe they would not have gotten an opportunity without Maryland leaving.

(Not Adidas)

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/31/lamelo-ball-signature-sneakers-big-baller-brand-shoes-photos

It has not been announced whether the shoes will make him ineligible for the NCAA.

"We'll worry about it when we get there," LaVar told ESPN. "Who cares? If he can't play, then he can't play. It doesn't mean he'll stop working out and getting better."

On 8/31/2017 at 10:26 PM, HuskerFever said:

(Not Adidas)

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/31/lamelo-ball-signature-sneakers-big-baller-brand-shoes-photos

It has not been announced whether the shoes will make him ineligible for the NCAA.

"We'll worry about it when we get there," LaVar told ESPN. "Who cares? If he can't play, then he can't play. It doesn't mean he'll stop working out and getting better."

Glad to see that LaVar has come to the realization that LaMelo's game is hot garbage.