This is Why I Don't Like Adidas...

HuskerFever

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-with-adidas-deal-and-coming-big-ten-windfall-a/article_7248d226-c6c0-5005-9bf6-28672c461172.html

Adidas struck shoe oil in the last three years. The company revived itself after appointing Mark King to be president of its North American operations in 2014. Sales are up 26 percent this year in North America. Yahoo Finance named it 2016 sports business of the year.

When Adidas lost college apparel contracts with Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin and UCLA in the past three years, it set up Nebraska to get a good deal. Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst said NU never talked to any other company.

Now, with a massive agreement in hand and the full Big Ten share of money coming in — published reports suggest north of $50 million per team per year — Nebraska athletics has more money to spend. Asked what fan feedback he’s received on how NU will spend it, Eichorst said: “If I need a fan to come tell me what we need to be successful, I don’t know if I’m doing my job.”

His plan includes:

• New gymnastics training facility
  • Get men/women golf teams to practice on campus
  • A new natatorium (swimming pool facility)
  • Memorial Stadium: curved video boards, easier access to South Stadium, more concessions and bathrooms, more "seat comfort"
  • Additional $5M annual scholarship fund for non-athletes (from NU athletics department)

“We need to ‘right size’ our capacity a little bit relative to where we’re at,” Eichorst said.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-with-adidas-deal-and-coming-big-ten-windfall-a/article_7248d226-c6c0-5005-9bf6-28672c461172.html

Adidas struck shoe oil in the last three years. The company revived itself after appointing Mark King to be president of its North American operations in 2014. Sales are up 26 percent this year in North America. Yahoo Finance named it 2016 sports business of the year.

When Adidas lost college apparel contracts with Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin and UCLA in the past three years, it set up Nebraska to get a good deal. Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst said NU never talked to any other company.

Now, with a massive agreement in hand and the full Big Ten share of money coming in — published reports suggest north of $50 million per team per year — Nebraska athletics has more money to spend. Asked what fan feedback he’s received on how NU will spend it, Eichorst said: “If I need a fan to come tell me what we need to be successful, I don’t know if I’m doing my job.”

His plan includes:

• New gymnastics training facility
  • Get men/women golf teams to practice on campus
  • A new natatorium (swimming pool facility)
  • Memorial Stadium: curved video boards, easier access to South Stadium, more concessions and bathrooms, more "seat comfort"
  • Additional $5M annual scholarship fund for non-athletes (from NU athletics department)

“We need to ‘right size’ our capacity a little bit relative to where we’re at,” Eichorst said.

I'm not always an Eichorst fan, but it seems he has a good grasp on the areas needing improvement.  Love seeing the athletic department give back to the University via academic schollies, too.

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Ageism matters here though. At the end of the day it's a slight benefit to us if we have the brand that is popular to 15-18 year old elite athletes.

That age is fickle...so you could be the brand of this group of 15-18 year olds...but in 4 years (now 11-14 year olds), the Curry Fan boys might be UA fans and what was cool when this deal was signed, might be blah in 4 years.

The biggest issue I see...is that Eichorst didn't even reach out to competitors....How do you know if you got a market deal if you didn't evne put out feelers to UA or Nike?

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

We don't know that he didn't, but this move puts NU in the top 5 schools in the NCAA in apparel deals. I don't see Nike or Under Armour valuing NU highly enough to bump them up that high.

From Sam McKewon's OWH article:

"Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst said NU never talked to any other company."

But I agree with you -- doubt Nike or Under Armour would value Nebraska as highly as Adidas did/does.

Edited by dustystehl

Yeah, I read the story. "Putting out a feeler" is different than having a conversation, I think. Eichorst probably wouldn't be the one "putting out a feeler", that's probably through a second party and gives him the latitude to still say he never had a conversation with anyone else.

Edited by uneblinstu

34 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

The biggest issue I see...is that Eichorst didn't even reach out to competitors....How do you know if you got a market deal if you didn't evne put out feelers to UA or Nike?

Nebraska was Adidas' first collegiate client. There's a lot of history there. I see this Nebraska/Adidas partnership changing just about as much as the Nebraska/Pepsi partnership.

And with a supposed clause that reevaluates the market price throughout the contract, Nebraska is in pretty good shape with this deal.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Nebraska was Adidas' first collegiate client. There's a lot of history there. I see this Nebraska/Adidas partnership changing just about as much as the Nebraska/Pepsi partnership.

And with a supposed clause that reevaluates the market price throughout the contract, Nebraska is in pretty good shape with this deal.

This!

11 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

That age is fickle...so you could be the brand of this group of 15-18 year olds...but in 4 years (now 11-14 year olds), the Curry Fan boys might be UA fans and what was cool when this deal was signed, might be blah in 4 years.

UA is going to have trouble actually being able to meet the contracts they have with schools now in their current financial situation, so they're not going to be signing any new schools in the near future.   Nike has no need for Nebraska. They've got their top dogs and wouldn't be willing to offer Nebraska anywhere close to what adidas did. 

On 8/11/2017 at 11:09 AM, Blindcheck said:

Nike is the predominant brand I see, but I do see a lot of And 1 brand apparel as well as Under armour....I have been looking over the last couple of weeks and just am not seeing much Adidas (could be they are just not popular in my area or with the guys that play with me..which is about 50 different guys that play during the Noon hour in this YMCA, they don't all show up everyday, but there is about 50 different guys who come at least occasionally).

I see.  FWIW, And1 as a brand has effectively been dead for the last decade.  I believe they signed some sort of retail exclusivity deal with Walmart a few years ago, so maybe they're a zombie brand now?

My point is, I don't think your experiences are representative of the market as a whole.  Walmart shoppers don't exactly tend to be the fashion industry's tastemakers, either.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:27 PM, hhcdimes said:

Ageism matters here though. At the end of the day it's a slight benefit to us if we have the brand that is popular to 15-18 year old elite athletes.

Agreed completely.  That's the most important demographic for us to attract.  If you asked Adidas, their sentiments would be similar.  Males aged 18-30 are typically the target demographic for most athletic wear suppliers.  Lately that has changed slightly as "athleisure" wear has become popular for both genders, but brands will always try to cultivate a younger customer base.

I was more or less apologizing ahead of the slightly offensive comments I was about to make.  Ask for forgiveness, not permission lol

On 8/14/2017 at 4:32 PM, Blindcheck said:

Looking at our peers, our deal looks pretty amazing.  We are getting roughly equal $/year compared to Michigan.  They signed with Nike's Jordan Brand a couple years before us.  And their contract made a pretty big splash since it was JB's first foray into football (previously had only supplied basketball equipment to schools such as UNC, Georgetown, Cal, etc.).  Their deal was for 15 years, much like tOSU's Nike deal.  And I don't think either of them have a clause allowing them to terminate/renegotiate if the terms are no longer agreeable.

Honestly, we got a great deal.  Adidas and Kanye West are trying to come out with an athletic line in the next year or two.  If we could position ourselves to be the first school Adidas supplied Yeezy equipment to, the amount of hype would be insane.  If you watched any of the NFL coverage from the few games last season where select players wore Yeezy cleats...it was about the only thing the broadcasters wanted to talk about.

My guess is Adidas gives that honor to Miami or Louisville, but at least we are in the running for it.  UCLA leaving Adidas to sign with UA was very good for us.

1 hour ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Looking at our peers, our deal looks pretty amazing.  We are getting roughly equal $/year compared to Michigan.  They signed with Nike's Jordan Brand a couple years before us.  And their contract made a pretty big splash since it was JB's first foray into football (previously had only supplied basketball equipment to schools such as UNC, Georgetown, Cal, etc.).  Their deal was for 15 years, much like tOSU's Nike deal.  And I don't think either of them have a clause allowing them to terminate/renegotiate if the terms are no longer agreeable.

Honestly, we got a great deal.  Adidas and Kanye West are trying to come out with an athletic line in the next year or two.  If we could position ourselves to be the first school Adidas supplied Yeezy equipment to, the amount of hype would be insane.  If you watched any of the NFL coverage from the few games last season where select players wore Yeezy cleats...it was about the only thing the broadcasters wanted to talk about.

My guess is Adidas gives that honor to Miami or Louisville, but at least we are in the running for it.  UCLA leaving Adidas to sign with UA was very good for us.

You're very well in the know. Hobby, connections, or profession?

2 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

If you watched any of the NFL coverage from the few games last season where select players wore Yeezy cleats...it was about the only thing the broadcasters wanted to talk about.

Wait a minute... I'm confused. Why do they need Yeezy cleats in football? I thought they already had wrapper shoes!

1383267331000-cxx-spat-a-reg-01.jpg

17 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Hobby and some light connections. My family lives in Beaverton, OR which puts them in the heart of Nike/Adidas territory.

Mainly, I'm just a collector/end user/wannabe athlete lol

I like the idea of moving Yeezy into athletic apparel and shoes, but the Yeezy basketball shoes I've seen in their test stages have a ways to go.