Deep run in the dance?

PimpMario

59 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Ideal situation: Huskers win out, pull an upset at MSG and walk away as tournament champs. Get assigned to the Wichita site and have 2 more home games because Husker fans travel. End up playing Creighton in the Round of 32 and beat them to go to the Sweet 16.

giphy.gif

Locations + Driving distance from Lincoln 

First Four    Dayton    March 13-14 - 758 Mi
First/Second    Pittsburgh    March 15 & 17 - 966 Mi
First/Second    Wichita    March 15 & 17 - 279 Mi
First/Second    Dallas    March 15 & 17 - 641 Mi
First/Second    Boise    March 15 & 17 - 1183 Mi
First/Second    Charlotte    March 16 & 18 - 1154 Mi
First/Second    Detroit    March 16 & 18 - 786 Mi
First/Second    Nashville    March 16 & 18 - 749 Mi
First/Second    San Diego    March 16 & 18 - 1561 Mi
Midwest Regional    Omaha    March 23 & 25 - 53 Mi
West Regional    Los Angeles    March 22 & 24 - 1500 Mi
South Regional    Atlanta    March 22 & 24 - 994 Mi
East Regional    Boston    March 23 & 25 - 1488 Mi
Final Four    San Antonio    March 31, April 2 - 901 Mi

3 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Is there any reason this team can't make it to the sweet 16 or beyond?

I know we last to Kansas, @CU and @OSU but we held our own against them all and had a chance to win.

We didn't look so hot against Purdue or MSU but if we can avoid a bad matchup we could be the first team in the state to go to the modern sweet 16.

I am tired of having a losing mentality.

The only thing I can quibble with is we played pretty well against Purdue. We had like 9 dunks but did enough bad stuff to be a little out of range at the end. We match up to them as well as any B1G team except maybe Michigan State.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Locations + Driving distance from Lincoln 

First Four    Dayton    March 13-14 - 758 Mi
First/Second    Pittsburgh    March 15 & 17 - 966 Mi
First/Second    Wichita    March 15 & 17 - 279 Mi
First/Second    Dallas    March 15 & 17 - 641 Mi
First/Second    Boise    March 15 & 17 - 1183 Mi
First/Second    Charlotte    March 16 & 18 - 1154 Mi
First/Second    Detroit    March 16 & 18 - 786 Mi
First/Second    Nashville    March 16 & 18 - 749 Mi
First/Second    San Diego    March 16 & 18 - 1561 Mi
Midwest Regional    Omaha    March 23 & 25 - 53 Mi
West Regional    Los Angeles    March 22 & 24 - 1500 Mi
South Regional    Atlanta    March 22 & 24 - 994 Mi
East Regional    Boston    March 23 & 25 - 1488 Mi
Final Four    San Antonio    March 31, April 2 - 901 Mi

Others have already made a case for making the Sweet 16.  Doing so would give us a 25% chance of playing in Omaha, which would essentially be two home games.  This team plays really well at home.  Add all that up, and it's time to start researching March 30th flights to San Antonio.  We're going to the Final Four!!!  Wait...am I getting ahead of myself?

44 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Others have already made a case for making the Sweet 16.  Doing so would give us a 25% chance of playing in Omaha, which would essentially be two home games.  This team plays really well at home.  Add all that up, and it's time to start researching March 30th flights to San Antonio.  We're going to the Final Four!!!  Wait...am I getting ahead of myself?

No. :D

Our road performances against Purdue and OSU told me all I need to know about our team--we can beat anyone on a neutral court.  Those were close games when we brought our B-level team.  

The draw of Baylor in 13-14 was brutal.  They were infinitely more talented than a 6-seed, and it showed when they beat the piss out of CU by 30.  

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

The only thing I can quibble with is we played pretty well against Purdue. We had like 9 dunks but did enough bad stuff to be a little out of range at the end. We match up to them as well as any B1G team except maybe Michigan State.

Agree.  Purdue was sort of the awakening for Roby as the completion of the death squad.  We didn't win, but our best 5 were sending a message to their best 5 til the end of the game. 

Also agree on MSU--I think we have as good of a top 5 as anyone in the league except them.  I'd much rather play Purdue in the tournament.  I'd probably pick playing OSU over both of them though.  

Ive been saying since I can remember, All I want is a sweet 16 run and Ill die happy.  Before being Debbie Downer, I think this team is absolutely capable of making a run and I think we are closer to the right side of the bubble then most talk about.  But, Petteway and company had a lot of pundits picking us to go to the sweet 16 and had a heck of a run to end that year.  We 2 guys that could get to the rim and a few shooters like Gallegos and Pitchford that could make you pay.  That all being said I am all In and we do it this Year!!  I think this is a bit bi-polar but Nebrasketball does that to a man

1 minute ago, nubest79 said:

But, Petteway and company had a lot of pundits picking us to go to the sweet 16 and had a heck of a run to end that year.  We 2 guys that could get to the rim and a few shooters like Gallegos and Pitchford that could make you pay. 

That team is nowhere near the talent that we have this year.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

If we don't handle business anytime soon, UNO might beat us to that accolade.

Probably not any time soon.  UN-O stands, right now, at 7-17 overall and 2-6 in its conference.  

It's possible, of course, for them to hit an out-of-body experience and win the Summit League Tournament.  But odds are much-better, right now, for Nebrasketball to get a win in the Tournament than for UN-O to do such a thing.  The old jokes about UN-O being a better team than what the Huskers put on the court each night doesn't play very well right now. 

19 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Probably not any time soon.  UN-O stands, right now, at 7-17 overall and 2-6 in its conference.  

It's possible, of course, for them to hit an out-of-body experience and win the Summit League Tournament.  But odds are much-better, right now, for Nebrasketball to get a win in the Tournament than for UN-O to do such a thing.  The old jokes about UN-O being a better team than what the Huskers put on the court each night doesn't play very well right now. 

That was a jab at Creighton, but okay.

23 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

If everything goes according to plan, it'll be Craig Smith's fighting 'Yotes vs Mike Daum and the SDSU Jacks in the final of the Summit League tourney and that should be one hell of a game!

The rest of the Summit League tourney will just be filler.

Edited by 49r

40 minutes ago, nubest79 said:

Ive been saying since I can remember, All I want is a sweet 16 run and Ill die happy.  Before being Debbie Downer, I think this team is absolutely capable of making a run and I think we are closer to the right side of the bubble then most talk about.  But, Petteway and company had a lot of pundits picking us to go to the sweet 16 and had a heck of a run to end that year.  We 2 guys that could get to the rim and a few shooters like Gallegos and Pitchford that could make you pay.  That all being said I am all In and we do it this Year!!  I think this is a bit bi-polar but Nebrasketball does that to a man

Some of the differences I see between that team and now are Athleticism, Length, Shooters, and Depth!

7 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And (knock on wood) minimal injuries/illnesses! Last I knew we had a full roster with healthy knees. Can't remember the last time that was the case.

Yeah.  One similarity between this team, so far (let's not jinx them), and the prior Dancing Nebrasketball team is that everyone is reasonably healthy.  That means a lot as the season goes along and the daily grind takes its toll.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Since we are now in the Sweet Sixteen, which team would you rather meet in the first round, Connecticut, Arkansas, Western Kentucky, Xavier, Baylor, New Mexico State, or Penn? Let's think about that for a while

Well since we are a lock for the sweet 16, I hope we get to play in Omaha! I don't care who we play!!