Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
uneblinstu

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 26 - @ Minnesota

Recommended Posts

The long layoff since the last game didn't beat us this time.  But it, truly, has been a problem in the past -- especially in December.  Here are a few examples.

 

Last season:  After losing at Kansas on Dec. 10 (and playing them even in the second half), we lost to Garner-Webb on December 18 at home 70-62.

2015-16:  After beating Rhode Island on Dec. 13, we lost at home to Samford on Dec. 20 by 69-58.

2014-15:  After beating Cincinnati at home in overtime on Dec. 13, we lost to Hawaii 50-42 in the Maui Classic on December 22.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ATupe said:

A few things that bothered me and we need to tighten up:

1)  For the life of me, we don't defend a strong big man worth a crap.  Our staff needs to coach how to FRONT THE POST!  We get demolished inside by big guys with decent skill and we have to put a stop to that.

 

2)  Evan T. played great, but we have to be careful on letting him shoot too much.  His shot is below average and I just don't want us getting into the trap of him having a green light.

Murphy got away with two pretty obvious hooks one of which lead to a no call on the play the pitino got the T. I’d like to see roby learn how to take the flop charge when he’s getting backed down that we saw so often called on jordy earlier in the year.

 

really disagree w your take on Taylor too. His off the bounce pull up game is probably the best on the team and his three point shooting although a small sample size is currently sitting at 50%. Id argue he should be shooting more of the catch n shoot type shots that he normally makes the extra pass on. ( I don’t know much about Taylor before he got to Nebraska but in my mind the strides he’s shown in two years can be attributed to the coaching staff )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Palmer went 10-13 last night at the FT line

 

Single Season Record

 

FREE THROWS MADE
1. Jack Moore (1980)...................................................... 184
2. Terran Petteway (2014).............................................. 167
3. Dave Hoppen (1985) .................................................. 164
4. Dave Hoppen (1984) .................................................. 158
5. Aleks Maric (2007) ..................................................... 147
6. Bob Gratopp (1969).................................................... 141
7. Tom Russell (1962) ..................................................... 140
8 Shavon Shields (2015) ................................................ 139
9. Tony Farmer (1991) .................................................... 137

9. James Palmer Jr. (2018)........................................ 137

 

That record is within reach.  Not easily.  But if he averages 8 made FTs over the next 6 games, that would put him at 185.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

really disagree w your take on Taylor too. His off the bounce pull up game is probably the best on the team and his three point shooting although a small sample size is currently sitting at 50%. Id argue he should be shooting more of the catch n shoot type shots that he normally makes the extra pass on. ( I don’t know much about Taylor before he got to Nebraska but in my mind the strides he’s shown in two years can be attributed to the coaching staff )

That three-pointer Evan drains near the end of the game, with the clock winding down and chaos everywhere, is pure genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The long layoff since the last game didn't beat us this time.  But it, truly, has been a problem in the past -- especially in December.  Here are a few examples.

 

Last season:  After losing at Kansas on Dec. 10 (and playing them even in the second half), we lost to Garner-Webb on December 18 at home 70-62.

2015-16:  After beating Rhode Island on Dec. 13, we lost at home to Samford on Dec. 20 by 69-58.

2014-15:  After beating Cincinnati at home in overtime on Dec. 13, we lost to Hawaii 50-42 in the Maui Classic on December 22.

 

 

 

Eh, those were all finals week situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

That record is within reach.  Not easily.  But if he averages 8 FTs over the next 6 games, that would put him at 185.

 

He's going to have some extra credit work because we will play at least 7 with either the NCAA or the NIT tourney looming in addition to the potential for multiple B1G tourney games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading this thread is always a nice way to pass a snowy morning after a win. This is one of the first times I can say that everyone who played contributed to the win and none of them had a "down" game. And I would also like to add kudos to the Big Ten Network. While I realize that they are paid to hype the league which signs their paychecks, Bardo and Crispin seem genuine in their appreciation for our team. Since humans still make the ultimate calls on the selection committee and it is impossible to watch every NCAA team play, I would guess that any committee member wishing to see at least a portion of a live NU game might turn to the B10 channel. Those positive comments have to carry a tiny bit of weight to the casual viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

That record is within reach.  Not easily.  But if he averages 8 FTs over the next 6 games, that would put him at 185.

I think he gets there and blows the total shot for a season outta the water. Roby should have a fair shot at climbing halfway up the season blocks total too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 49r said:

Here is a list of things Nebrasketball has never done since joining the Big Ten and what we've crossed off that list this season:

 

Beat Michigan anywhere

Win at Michigan

Win at Madison

Win at Minneapolis

Win at Purdue

Beat Maryland at home

 

One more to add that we haven't accomplished since joining the Big Ten:

 

Don't have a 5+ game losing streak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Historically Minnesota fancies itself a "Big Time" basketball program ( I spent 20 years in the Cities) but the results would say otherwise. Injuries and suspensions might cost little Ricky his job, but it certainly cost them a chance at a B1G title. Winning at Williams arena should never be minimized, and scoring 91 on the road anywhere is impressive. Now it's time for some home cookin' and a win over Rutgers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Historically Minnesota fancies itself a "Big Time" basketball program ( I spent 20 years in the Cities) but the results would say otherwise. Injuries and suspensions might cost little Ricky his job, but it certainly cost them a chance at a B1G title. Winning at Williams arena should never be minimized, and scoring 91 on the road anywhere is impressive. Now it's time for some home cookin' and a win over Rutgers.

 

Absolutely this.  Williams is a snake pit that I would cherish if I were a Gophers fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We now know that Anton Gill and Evan Taylor give good interviews.  We've had an opportunity to hear them both on the radio in the last couple games.

   1.  Anton Gill:  During last night's post-game, I started listening to a player-interview but did not catch who was talking.  During the interview,  I was impressed with the quality of analysis and responses and wondered who might be talking.  Anton Gill is the answer.  Would like to hear more from him! 

   2.  Evan Taylor.  When Evan Taylor's interview ended after the Wisconsin game, Kent Pavelka suggested that he take up broadcasting.  Then, after last night's game, I heard this reported:  (i) during a BTN interview of Evan Taylor, the interviewer asked if Evan was surprised at Roby's performance; (ii) Evan promptly turned to Isaiah and asked if Isaiah was surprised by his own performance; (iii) Isaiah said, "No"; (iv) then Evan turned to the mircophone and said that he wasn't surprised either, since Isaiah always played that way in practice, and what we saw last night is merely more of the same.  Now . . . that's a clever way to respond!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

That record is within reach.  Not easily.  But if he averages 8 made FTs over the next 6 games, that would put him at 185.

 

Hope he concentrates on getting to the rim for calls, And Plus Ones!

Edited by Red Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Palmer went 10-13 last night at the FT line

 

Single Season Record

 

FREE THROWS MADE
1. Jack Moore (1980)...................................................... 184
2. Terran Petteway (2014).............................................. 167
3. Dave Hoppen (1985) .................................................. 164
4. Dave Hoppen (1984) .................................................. 158
5. Aleks Maric (2007) ..................................................... 147
6. Bob Gratopp (1969).................................................... 141
7. Tom Russell (1962) ..................................................... 140
8 Shavon Shields (2015) ................................................ 139
9. Tony Farmer (1991) .................................................... 137

9. James Palmer Jr. (2018)........................................ 137

Interesting, (I don’t know anything about the pre-Jack Moore dudes), but the one who caught my eye was Tony Farmer.  Played on a stacked, best record of all time team and was a power forward...and he’s on this list.   He was a smart, crafty dude.  Really wish he could have played his Sr year (no da).    OK back to the current team subjects....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay had to check into all the stuff about Jack so we can kind compair apples to apples.

 

79-80 the Huskers played 31 games and ended up 18-13

Jack was 184-211 for a 87.2% that year

Looks like we lost to Michigan in the first round of the NIT

Was 2nd in the big 8 that year, no NCAA bid:mellow:

 

So now we can get to see how JPJ does the rest of the way.

 

Kimani FFriend attempted the most free throws in a season with 227 making 115 in 1999-2000 (50.6%)

Edited by Silverbacked1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

We have won 6 of the last 7 games.   Roby and the “small” lineup have been starting for the last 7 games.  Coincidence? 

 

And the rotation has been reduced to an 8-man lineup. It's clear that Miles & Co. now know exactly how to use all of their weapons effectively whereas before it was a bit of a hit or miss (at times) with regards to rotations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

We have won 6 of the last 7 games.   Roby and the “small” lineup have been starting for the last 7 games.  Coincidence? 

 

We've won 6 of 7 since benching Palmer at Penn St

We've won 5 of 6 since Jordy came back

We're 11 of 14 since losing to Kansas and those 3 loses were all against sub 50 KenPom games on the road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

We've won 6 of 7 since benching Palmer at Penn St

We've won 5 of 6 since Jordy came back

We're 11 of 14 since losing to Kansas and those 3 loses were all against sub 50 KenPom games on the road

 

We're also 67-67 ever since Biggs was dismissed from the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×